BBO Discussion Forums: Defining an unique standard for the recording of bridge hands - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defining an unique standard for the recording of bridge hands

#1 User is offline   VJ 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-24, 07:44

Because of its dominant position on the international scene, it appears to me BBO should be leader in proposing an ISO format for the recording of bridge hands, associated with a standard for the bidding of it, and another one for the play of its cards. All of them should be nicely printable in Open Office tools, in isolation or combination.

I am ready to help. My former role as a Standards architect may be useful.

Rationale: I am tired of having to retype hands in my bridge publications and bridge tools. The tools should all be able to export and import bridge hands in the To Be Defined standard.
Systems architect
Currently playing for Alsace, France

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-24, 07:58

Not an area of any expertise on my part, but is there not already a standard? ie, PBN? Or even 2 standards, if you include LIN? Maybe you are suggesting that one should be ditched in favour of having just the one standard?

I note that DDS these days saves in SQL format. Which I gather is not bespoke to bridge, but was preferred for handling large volumes of data.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   VJ 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 08:12

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-December-24, 07:58, said:

Not an area of any expertise on my part, but is there not already a standard? ie, PBN? Or even 2 standards, if you include LIN? Maybe you are suggesting that one should be ditched in favour of having just the one standard?

I note that DDS these days saves in SQL format. Which I gather is not bespoke to bridge, but was preferred for handling large volumes of data.

Thanks for your comments. As you say, there are the formats that you listed, but many other ones as well, and to my knowledge, none satisfactory and deserving the name of standard, after a thorough review of the requirements.
Systems architect

#4 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-24, 08:20

I think that today there isn t a need of another standard

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 12:47

On the grounds of https://xkcd.com/927/ I'd suggest trying to use/improve PBN rather than create something from scratch.

Also, wouldn't a single standard be sufficient to cover both bidding and play?

ahydra

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-December-24, 13:26

Richard Pavlicek defines a concise format. PBN is popular but more verbose.

There seem to be at least 2 BBO formats, used for millions of hands, including most recent top-level and International competition. IMO the format used in this forum is a de-facto standard. This BBO handviewer format has the enormous advantage of facilitating on-line display of hands on web-pages e.g. in blogs. You can use it for static display -- or as a Bridge movie with bid-by-bid and card-by-card explanations -- and access to GIB. Thus, this BBO format is veratile and concise. It can be coded in plain ASCII or UTF-8 text. It is s easy to write, read and understand. Deals can be stored in an SQL or other database.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-24, 14:09

I believe the handviewer and bridge movie are the same, they're both BBO's LIN format.

#8 User is offline   VJ 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-December-27, 07:32

View Postahydra, on 2016-December-24, 12:47, said:

On the grounds of https://xkcd.com/927/ I'd suggest trying to use/improve PBN rather than create something from scratch.

Also, wouldn't a single standard be sufficient to cover both bidding and play?

ahydra

I agree we should reuse as much as possible and build on the existing. Yes an unique standard, but file formats varying on the purpose. LIN should for sure be one of the building stones. We however need an initiative or support from big entities, like BBO and/or perhaps big puplishers or a syndicate of bridge authors or...
Systems architect

#9 User is offline   VJ 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-December-27, 07:43

View Postnige1, on 2016-December-24, 13:26, said:

Richard Pavlicek defines a concise format. PBN is popular but more verbose.

There seem to be at least 2 BBO formats, used for millions of hands, including most recent top-level and International competition. IMO the format used in this forum is a de-facto standard. This BBO handviewer format has the enormous advantage of facilitating on-line display of hands on web-pages e.g. in blogs. You can use it for static display -- or as a Bridge movie with bid-by-bid and card-by-card explanations -- and access to GIB. Thus, this BBO format is veratile and concise. It can be coded in plain ASCII or UTF-8 text. It is s easy to write, read and understand. Deals can be stored in an SQL or other database.

I agree LIN is a good foundation, and serves well its current purposes. But it is not a de facto standard -just a nice remedy to limited and pressing requirements-. It however deserves an upwards compatibility to a real standard. LIN format is not addressing the issues I mentioned in this topic, and is not the result of a comprehensive analysis of the requirements towards a solution enabling a single manual encoding of a hand, its corrections if any, its history as an object, and its publication and easy editing in text processors.
Systems architect

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users