• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Balance?

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-24, 05:15

All green IMPs, RHO deals and passes, and you pass too beacuse it is only a 10 count, because it's clubs, because you're 2nd, because your suit is not good enough with very small pips...oh well you decide to pass this collection, period:

Axx
Qxx
x
Axxxxx

LHO preempts 3D which is passed back to you... Now what? Agree w/ first pass?

Thanks...

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-December-24, 05:43

I'm not too fussed between opening and not opening - now i will X
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 06:15

Yes, I probably pass in 2nd seat - particularly if the x's are small.

I certainly double in protective seat, since I'm the one with short diamonds.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 06:35

yeah i'd double. 2 aces. we'll be happy if partner floats it. if p bids we'll probably go down but then 3D was probably making.

definitely pass originally.

#5 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 10:38

View Postwank, on 2016-December-24, 06:35, said:

if p bids we'll probably go down but then 3D was probably making.

Right that''s why I wasn't sure if X was so obvious. Partner had an unexciting 12-count with 44 majors sth like Kxxx Kxxx Axx Qx and felt he could cue after my passed hand balancing dbl (!),so I ended up (fortunately undoubled) in 4H-2. 3D was just -1.

But your answers make me feel better!

Thx and nice🎄

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 12:41

Well, TIL to double on this... I would have passed, only holding 3-3 in the majors (not expecting partner to be happy when he bids 3M, 4M or 4D and I go down with 3D also down). We are of course protected by being a passed hand, but when both 3D and 3M are off, partner is going to bid way more often than he'll pass as nobody wants to concede 470 at IMPs.

The given hand was a case in point - though partner should have, of course, just settled for 3 of whichever major had the better spots.

ahydra

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-December-24, 13:02

View Postapollo1201, on 2016-December-24, 05:15, said:

All green IMPs, RHO deals and passes, and you pass too beacuse it is only a 10 count, because it's clubs, because you're 2nd, because your suit is not good enough with very small pips...oh well you decide to pass this collection, period:
A x x Q x x x A x x x x x
LHO preempts 3D which is passed back to you... Now what? Agree w/ first pass?
As opener, Pass and 1, are both OK, IMO. Now I rank
  • Double = T/O but partner will often pass for penalties and you have good defence. Partner might play in a Moysian fit at the 3-level but should realise that you are bidding his cards. Protection denies an opening bid. It doesn't mean you've found an extra ace.
  • Pass = NAT. Correct opposite a partner who has paid no attention to the auction. I suppose, however, you must have some sympathy for a partner with both majors who feels that finding the correct strain is as important as reaching the right level.

#8 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-December-24, 13:25

View Postapollo1201, on 2016-December-24, 10:38, said:

Right that''s why I wasn't sure if X was so obvious. Partner had an unexciting 12-count with 44 majors sth like Kxxx Kxxx Axx Qx and felt he could cue after my passed hand balancing dbl (!),so I ended up (fortunately undoubled) in 4H-2. 3D was just -1.

Thx and nice🎄

if pard has a trap pass it's game over - bridge is a game of trust, if my partner passed in this position i would lose trust
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#9 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-December-25, 01:02

Two guaranteed defence tricks,7 losers.conveniient rebid ,green,6 carded suit headed by Ace.I don't need more to open this hand 1C in the first position.Additionals are thee cards to an honor support for either major. I shall always open this hand.
Supposing I ,hypothetically ,pass this hand then in the given auction,I will not be very happy ,yet, I will pass again.

#10 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-25, 09:55

Pass originally (Rule of 20) because of the vulnerability. If they were red I'd bid either 1 or 3, depending upon partnership style.

I'd double now, then get a new partner. Forcing to the four level on that hand is !

#11 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-25, 14:09

View PostJoe_Old, on 2016-December-25, 09:55, said:

Pass originally (Rule of 20) because of the vulnerability. If they were red I'd bid either 1 or 3, depending upon partnership style.

I'd double now, then get a new partner. Forcing to the four level on that hand is !

Exactly. Cuebid is how GIB bids.

#12 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-25, 14:31

I must be getting old, but I can't see how a hand that is not worth opening at the one level can somehow be later worth forcing partner to bid at three level.

#13 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-25, 21:46

Yes, I agree with the 2nd seat Pass. It is not an opening bid for all the reasons you cited as well as most guideline (e.g., Rule of 20, 12 HCP and 2 Quick Tricks, etc.)

And, now I call Double because that is the obvious call.

I really don't see the problem here. Yes, it is risky to bid, but it is also quite risky to Pass! Partner clearly has some values and I have diamond shortness and support for the other 3 suits. Why would I not Double? Surely I would Double if LHO opened 3D in first chair and this were passed around to me - and then it would not be as clear that partner has some values as RHO might have a pretty good (minimum range opening) hand! Now, when it is clear partner has values and RHO does not opening values, it is much easier and safer to Double.

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-December-25, 23:32

View PostGrahamJson, on 2016-December-25, 14:31, said:

I must be getting old, but I can't see how a hand that is not worth opening at the one level can somehow be later worth forcing partner to bid at three level.

Yes.I agree fully with your argument that how can those who consider the hand not worth opening at ONE level FORCE the partner to bid at THREE level.However ,I shall always open this hand 1Club.I don't bother about the so called rule of 20.Let us say a hand 10987,10987,AK,A76 11 plus 8 makes 19 .How many dare pass this hand as it does not satisfy rule of 20? That rule is an arbitrary and general guide line for those learning bridge (novices to early beginners).Perhaps they will suggest some modifications to that rule so that they can open this hand.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-26, 06:59

First pass or opening is about your style.
Double now is auto.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-26, 08:49

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-December-25, 23:32, said:

Yes.I agree fully with your argument that how can those who consider the hand not worth opening at ONE level FORCE the partner to bid at THREE level.However ,I shall always open this hand 1Club.I don't bother about the so called rule of 20.Let us say a hand 10987,10987,AK,A76 11 plus 8 makes 19 .How many dare pass this hand as it does not satisfy rule of 20? That rule is an arbitrary and general guide line for those learning bridge (novices to early beginners).Perhaps they will suggest some modifications to that rule so that they can open this hand.

Your example has nothing to do with the Rule of 20. Three quick tricks and great intermediates in the majors makes your example an automatic opener. Rule of 20 is meant to apply more to hands like Q432 Q432 K2 A43, which should be passed.

#17 User is offline   dtaneri 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-26, 18:57

I certainly agree with the pass in second seat and would pass in last seat. Stay fixed you are likely down 1 and so may the 3d bidder.

#18 User is offline   dtaneri 

• Pip

Posted 2016-December-26, 18:58

I certainly agree with the pass in second seat and would pass in last seat. Stay fixed you are likely down 1 and so may the 3d bidder.

#19 User is offline   ncohen 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-December-26, 21:00

P was too aggressive. You have at most 12 opp 12 and may face bad splits. Also, the DA isn't as useful as an A elsewhere, because it can't work well with your honors. For instance
xxx Ax is far better opposite x KJxxx than P's actual holding. So, 3H is plenty

View Postapollo1201, on 2016-December-24, 10:38, said:

Thx and nice🎄

#20 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-26, 23:25

Allow me to disagree a bit with some of the other posters.

Pass in 2d seat looks clear to me. If you open, you will go overboard way too often. If the hand gets passed out, you probably are going to break even in the long run.

A balancing X also looks right to me. You might actually have a major suit game.

Where I disagree with the other posters is with respect to your partner's action. In IMPS, I think he's right. You might as well get into the right strain at game rather than risk being in the wrong strain in a 3-level M contract. I would bid 4d in a flash. The fact that it doesn't work on this hand is immaterial.

Sometimes, things just don't work out so well. C'est la vie. It doesn't mean anyone did anything wrong.

Cheers,
Mike

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users