Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bugs in Bridge Master

#1 User is offline   VJ 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-23, 20:31

Perhaps this has been reported (and corrected) in later versions, but on the ones I bought, there are some bugs, particularly:
1. there seems to be no way of winning deal Level 2 A33
2. All Level 5 C deals are missing the explanations (there is no movie icon). I made my own.

For items 1&2, is an update available?
For item 2, if explanations have never been created, I have my own text file and am ready to share it.
Systems architect
Currently playing for Alsace, France

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-23, 22:23

Level 2 A33 does have a solution
Spoiler

As for your other problem, I assume you are on the windows client, if so they are being phased out so bugs in that version are unlikely to be fixed, but there are explanations on the web client.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   VJ 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 05:20

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-December-23, 22:23, said:

Level 2 A33 does have a solution
Spoiler

As for your other problem, I assume you are on the windows client, if so they are being phased out so bugs in that version are unlikely to be fixed, but there are explanations on the web client.

Thank you for your answers. However:

Issue 1: I had no problem finding the solution right away. But leading the jack of spades at trick 2 makes West lead a heart at trick 3, which is ruffed (by the seven of spades): indeed BM sets up a void in hearts for East.
Issue 2: is there no profitable market for Windows 10? If so I would be happy to fix the source and be given royalties in those sales...
Systems architect
Currently playing for Alsace, France

#4 User is offline   Whisty709 

• Pip

Posted 2021-February-28, 16:37

I realize this is an older thread, but I seem to be having this issue. I am trying to solve the hands, but defenders cards move around on me, depending on the order I play. Two contracts failed for Level A-10 because the 10/spades (10S) is moving from East to West. On one failure the 10S was in the West, but on another failure it was in the East. I realize both are possible in real games but how am I supposed to complete the puzzle if the 'pieces' keep moving depending on my approach? The A-level seems straight forward enough (I.e playing between long suits, ruffing, and 'managing' the use of trumps).

Or is there another lesson being thought here? Okay fine, but shouldn't that be mentioned somewhere? The solution text make no sense either; its more complex than that. Level A4 and A7 also seem to be doing it too with other cards.

I would upload pictures but it looks like I cannot upload directly from my PC.

BTW, if it matters, I am not using Microsoft Windows OS. I am using Firefox on Linux Ubuntu OS.

#5 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-28, 17:19

View PostWhisty709, on 2021-February-28, 16:37, said:

I realize this is an older thread, but I seem to be having this issue. I am trying to solve the hands, but defenders cards move around on me, depending on the order I play. Two contracts failed for Level A-10 because the 10/spades (10S) is moving from East to West. On one failure the 10S was in the West, but on another failure it was in the East. I realize both are possible in real games but how am I supposed to complete the puzzle if the 'pieces' keep moving depending on my approach? The A-level seems straight forward enough (I.e playing between long suits, ruffing, and 'managing' the use of trumps).

Or is there another lesson being thought here? Okay fine, but shouldn't that be mentioned somewhere? The solution text make no sense either; its more complex than that. Level A4 and A7 also seem to be doing it too with other cards.

I would upload pictures but it looks like I cannot upload directly from my PC.

BTW, if it matters, I am not using Microsoft Windows OS. I am using Firefox on Linux Ubuntu OS.

It's showing you that there is a way to do it that does not depend on which opponent holds the King (for example).

I invented the term "Schrodingers King" to describe this situation since you don't know where the King is until the box is opened and the poisoned King is revealed, or not as the case may be!
It has a similar 'flavour' to the idea of a poisoned pawn in chess, but it would be strange if I were to string you along.

#6 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-28, 17:34

View PostWhisty709, on 2021-February-28, 16:37, said:

Or is there another lesson being thought here? Okay fine, but shouldn't that be mentioned somewhere? The solution text make no sense either; its more complex than that.

Bridgemaster is a tool to learn declarer play. It will (mostly) only let you make it if you take the right percentage line. If not, it will shuffle cards around so you go down on your sub-optimal line.

I presume you're talking about A10 on Level 3? The lesson on the hand is how to play that suit for only one loser on any 4-1 trump break. If you don't play it that way, the program punishes you by arranging the trumps badly for you.

Yes, the explanation could be more obvious. But there is a Help button on the first Bridgemaster screen that tells you all about it. It was originally a standalone Windows program that was imported into BBO several years ago. It really is an excellent way to learn once you get used to it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users