BBO Discussion Forums: Transfer advances of a takeout double. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer advances of a takeout double.

#1 User is offline   jetkro 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-23, 15:10

Hi,

Can anyone give me some information about using transfers to advance partner's takeout double, assuming that this treatment is in use at all?

Jerome.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-23, 16:23

i never heard of it and i basically don't see a point to it.

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-December-23, 17:50

Some play Transfer lenbensohl over (2x[=PRE])-X-(P). Advancer can then show his suits more cheaply on slammish hands at the cost of no longer being able to invite in clubs.

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-23, 17:54

I don't like the idea.

(A) You have the well-defined hand hidden.

(B) The opening lead (of the bid suit) comes through the hand that is likely to have high cards in the suit.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-December-23, 18:18

Heard of it, but largely have rejected it.

Seems like a good way to wrongside contracts for no tangible gain.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 04:28

I think many would play them if you were permitted to redouble partner's takeout double.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 04:43

I like them. regularly play them. Assuming we are talking jump advances starting with cue.

I take the view that right-siding the contract takes second priority to finding the right contract.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 06:21

I play transfer advances with one partner, responding to an an overcall, but not in response to a take-out double.

The loss of a 1S reponse if opponents open 1H and partner doubles would seem to be a big price to pay.

#9 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-24, 08:18

I used to play transfer responses from the level of 2 of the doubled suit upwards. So, for example, after (1H)-X-(Pass)- 2H shows spades, 2S clubs and 3C diamonds. Minimum bids (1S, 2C and 2D) are natural and other bids such as 3H can have other meanings, e.g. Balanced, no stop.

This method has several advantages. Responder can bid on to show extra values or a second suit, or a stop. So, for example, after the auction above, following 2H and a 2S bid from the doubler responder can bid 2NT to show about 11, balanced with spades and a stop. 3NT would show a stronger hand, 3H would be similar but without a stop.

Overall this method should give many advantages and I would like to report that it produced a lot or great scores, unfortunately I can't recall ever actually using it. Either responder was not strong enough (although it doesn't require a particularly strong hand, maybe 8+) or third hand made a nuisance of himself by bidding something annoying.

In summary in theory it has several advantages and perhaps deserves to be played more widely. However it does need detailed discussion between partners in order to agree the precise meaning of continuations.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-December-24, 08:44

Tramticket, on 2016-December-24, 06:21, said:

The loss of a 1S reponse if opponents open 1H and partner doubles would seem to be a big price to pay.

Playing the transfers starting with 1 would be kind of bonkers.

Anyway I have never played this, but I do play (and quite like) transfer responses when they double.

Probably the more transfers you play the better.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-December-24, 09:54

I have read a lot about them but did not like idea.Besides it will lead to innumerable alerts and extend the time.The director will penalize such a time wasting pair ruthlessly.Besides,I do not know if the treatment is allowed by the WBF.

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-December-24, 11:38

1eyedjack, on 2016-December-24, 04:43, said:

I take the view that right-siding the contract takes second priority to finding the right contract.

Well, OK, please provide an example.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 12:41

GrahamJson, on 2016-December-24, 08:18, said:

I used to play transfer responses from the level of 2 of the doubled suit upwards. So, for example, after (1H)-X-(Pass)- 2H shows spades, 2S clubs and 3C diamonds. Minimum bids (1S, 2C and 2D) are natural and other bids such as 3H can have other meanings, e.g. Balanced, no stop.

This method has several advantages. Responder can bid on to show extra values or a second suit, or a stop. So, for example, after the auction above, following 2H and a 2S bid from the doubler responder can bid 2NT to show about 11, balanced with spades and a stop. 3NT would show a stronger hand, 3H would be similar but without a stop.

Overall this method should give many advantages and I would like to report that it produced a lot or great scores, unfortunately I can't recall ever actually using it. Either responder was not strong enough (although it doesn't require a particularly strong hand, maybe 8+) or third hand made a nuisance of himself by bidding something annoying.

In summary in theory it has several advantages and perhaps deserves to be played more widely. However it does need detailed discussion between partners in order to agree the precise meaning of continuations.

This sounds reasonable. But if the opening was (say) 1D? How would you advance with 4-4 in the majors and a few values?

#14 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 15:35

I guess you would bid 2D and then 2S over partner's 2H, if that is what he bids. This is of course one of the disadvantages of the method, as you cannot stop in 2H.

#15 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 15:46

msjennifer, on 2016-December-24, 09:54, said:

I have read a lot about them but did not like idea.Besides it will lead to innumerable alerts and extend the time.The director will penalize such a time wasting pair ruthlessly.Besides,I do not know if the treatment is allowed by the WBF.

The WBF doesn't forbid much, and almost nothing constructive that isn't an opening bid. Having lots of alerts doesn't need to slow the game down - most time is spent on trying to work out what to do rather than querying the opponents' system. Besides, ruling that a pair with lots of alerts is wasting time would be an odd decision, to say the least.

#16 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-25, 14:07

Herbert negatives are played by some after TO doubles.

Bidding the next higher suit shows weakness and not shape.

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-December-30, 06:32

GrahamJson, on 2016-December-24, 15:35, said:

I guess you would bid 2D and then 2S over partner's 2H, if that is what he bids. This is of course one of the disadvantages of the method, as you cannot stop in 2H.

Nor can those that play the cue as forcing to suit agreement, which is a very popular method.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users