BBO Discussion Forums: Two Bidding Questions - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Two Bidding Questions

#21 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-24, 12:34

View Postdeftist, on 2016-December-24, 06:58, said:

Thank you so much again for your detailed posts. I am learning a lot!

Kaitlyn: you said my raise will show a possibility of making game, but does that hold true in a competitive bidding too? Say I double, my LHO passes and partner bids 1s. Should I just pass with minimum (say 4 spades with 12-15 points) instead of raising to 2S? I know I probaby cannot reach game opposite 10 points tops (unless the fit is good), but I wouldn't want to let opponents in easily with something like 2c, 2d, 2h. If I pass partner might think we have a 4-3 fit in spades instead of 4-4 and not compete further, no? :S

When the bidding has gone 1D Dbl Pass 1S P, the advancer is about 0-9 and the doubler is unlimited and there is a reasonable chance for game. With both partners having such wide ranges, you need to use your room to determine whether you have the strength for game, and raising to 2S just to show four spades makes doubler's ranges too wide for effective communication. Note that both responder and opener passed on their last turn so letting them in now to compete successfully after a later 2S bid (you pass 1S now but will later compete to 2S eith 4 trump wuthout misleading partner) isn't too much of a concern. Yes, it is a small concern but I think getting the game decision right is a larger concern.

The equation changes if opener buds again. Say it goes 1D Dbl Pass 1S 2D. Now you have to worry about lot about the declare/defend decision and a 2S bid to show 4 puts partner in a good position to know what to do over responder's 3D bid if it comes, and also stops opener from buying the hand in 2D if partner can't compete. The game strength issues are still there, but opener's 2D bid has made the competitive aspect more important. I believe that Mike Lawrence says in his book on doubles that the raise after opener bids again shows 4 trump and a little more than minimum, maybe 14.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users