Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mechanical Error

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-22, 08:42

This is a neverending topic at my club. Can I please have some examples of mechanical errors that gives a player the right to change a played card. In my club a player is allowed to take back an obvious wrong played card even after dummy or declarer already have followed suit. That means he is not holding it or regretting same second he noticed the mistake. So when can an already played card be changed. I have talked about this a year ago but never got some examples to show my clubmembers so please welcome with some clarifications what is a mechanical error and what is not.

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2016-December-22, 08:46

I think this forum is about directing events on BBO.
This post is about directing F2F bridge and should be in one of the IBLF forums.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-22, 09:01

there are no examples, because you can't change any cards once they're physically played. this is a rule which your club has invented.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-22, 09:43

View PostRMB1, on 2016-December-22, 08:46, said:

I think this forum is about directing events on BBO.
This post is about directing F2F bridge and should be in one of the IBLF forums.

I've moved it.

#5 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-22, 09:51

View Postwank, on 2016-December-22, 09:01, said:

there are no examples, because you can't change any cards once they're physically played. this is a rule which your club has invented.

I suspect that he is confusing card played and call made (with a bid card).

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-22, 09:54

There's a law that allows you to correct a bid that was made inadvertently, which is generally interpreted to mean mechanical errors when using bidding boxes.

There's no similar law for correcting misplayed cards. If a defender accidentally exposes a card, rather than deliberately playing it, the card becomes a penalty card. If it's an honor, it's a major penalty card (it has to be played at the first legal opportunity, and declarer gets lead options if the offender's parter gets the lead before then). If it's a non-honor, it's a minor penalty card, and just has to be played before any other non-honor in the same suit.

The reason the rules are different for inadvertent bids versus plays is that accidentally pulling the wrong bidding card doesn't pass any useful information to your partner. But accidentally playing a wrong card still lets your partner know that you have that card, which could significantly affect the defense.

#7 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-December-22, 16:38

There are two exception - if a player plays a card because he was told by an opponent (incorrectly) that it was his turn or he is misinformed at the time as to the meaning of plays made and this is corrected then he can change the card (no other card must have been played and, for an opening lead, dummy mustn't have come down.)

Example

LHO leads AK of a suit (of which dummy has 2 cards) and RHO plays the 2 and 3. Declarer asks "Does that signal an even or odd number" and, being told 'odd', ruffs low. Before RHO plays a card LHO says "Oops - sorry we play upside down - it shows an even number." Declarer can now take the ruff back and replace it with another card - e.g. ruff high or discard.

(When called for an OLOOT, I always ask the player if they had been told it was their turn to lead.)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-22, 20:48

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-22, 09:54, said:

The reason the rules are different for inadvertent bids versus plays is that accidentally pulling the wrong bidding card doesn't pass any useful information to your partner. But accidentally playing a wrong card still lets your partner know that you have that card, which could significantly affect the defense.

Do you think this is the reason? If it were, you would think that declarer were allowed to change her card, but she is not.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-22, 22:45

View Postweejonnie, on 2016-December-22, 16:38, said:

There are two exception - if a player plays a card because he was told by an opponent (incorrectly) that it was his turn or he is misinformed at the time as to the meaning of plays made and this is corrected then he can change the card (no other card must have been played and, for an opening lead, dummy mustn't have come down.) [...]

True, but in those cases the play was not inadvertent

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-23, 03:05

OP, the best way to remember this is simply that a played card cannot be retracted unless there has been an irregularity.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-23, 09:53

View PostVampyr, on 2016-December-22, 20:48, said:

Do you think this is the reason? If it were, you would think that declarer were allowed to change her card, but she is not.

I was wondering about that, and I suspect they just decided to keep it simple and use consistent rules. In general, we want players to pay attention to what they're playing, so we don't make it easy for them to change their mind.

Note that the rule for when a card must be played is different for declarer and defenders. If a defender exposes a card in a way that his partner could see it, it must be played (or becomes a penalty card in cases where it's not a legal play or was exposed accidentally). But if declarer exposes a card but doesn't actually play it, he can take it back -- there are no penalty cards for declarer. This is presumably part of that same reasoning.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users