• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

robot individual tourneys many over 80 percent

#1 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2016-December-20, 08:21

i played a bot individual yesterday and felt good about it. today i see i scores almost 69%. i was happy about that but 9 players scored over 80(1 almost 90. at 69 i was 147 th. are there that many great players on bbo.

tom

#2 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-20, 17:37

View Postthomas c, on 2016-December-20, 08:21, said:

i played a bot individual yesterday and felt good about it. today i see i scores almost 69%. i was happy about that but 9 players scored over 80(1 almost 90. at 69 i was 147 th. are there that many great players on bbo.

tom

Hi, Tom. Congratulations for a good result.

The range of results is very normal for a Free Daily tournament. Yes, there are many great players on BBO but even more than that, there are a great many players on BBO.

In order to beat 80 % you not only have to play well, you also have to be lucky. If divide players into "lucky" and "unlucky" on any given board, you will get 1 in 256 players lucky on all 8 boards, that's 24 in 6000. With 6000 players playing only 8 boards statistics will give you a wide range of results. Note also that there were not only 9 players above 80 % but also 17 players below 20 %. I am far from reaching 69 % in average and I never got 80 % so far, but I did get 80 % in the first 7 boards just a few days ago. The last board spoiled it, unfortunately. Some day we will both beat the 80 % limit.

If you want a tournament with less "noise", I recommend to play a survivor tournament and make it to day 3 or later. The last one was won by frank0 with 70.37 %. There's perhaps one per week at the usual place, and they will be announced a day or two before the event.

#3 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-21, 04:39

As long as players don't play the same boards the comparability of the results is questionable. Just imagine when one of your boards is so "unlucky" that nearly all of the players have the same result, only very few played badly. The fast majority will have a score of maybe 51 % and no way to get more. I guess it will be no surprise that no one made it to one of the first seats who had to play a hand like the one below from the last survival tourney.

http://webutil.bridg...260041-R1-B6-I2

Besides your skills and the normal luck to make the right decisions in the sense of good result not necessarily good bridge most of the time you need the luck to get the good boards where you can make great results. This is at least true for all the daylong tourneys as far as I know.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-December-21, 05:19

View Postscarletv, on 2016-December-21, 04:39, said:

As long as players don't play the same boards the comparability of the results is questionable. Just imagine when one of your boards is so "unlucky" that nearly all of the players have the same result, only very few played badly. The fast majority will have a score of maybe 51 % and no way to get more. I guess it will be no surprise that no one made it to one of the first seats who had to play a hand like the one below from the last survival tourney.

http://webutil.bridg...260041-R1-B6-I2

Besides your skills and the normal luck to make the right decisions in the sense of good result not necessarily good bridge most of the time you need the luck to get the good boards where you can make great results. This is at least true for all the daylong tourneys as far as I know.

The root cause of the problem is the length of the tournaments is two fold

1. People seem care much more whether or not they win a tournament than they do about whether they come in 10th versus 100th
2. Tournaments are short (not many boards)

The combination of these two issues means that lots of players deliberately choose high variance strategies

In turn, this creates a nasty little feedback loop.
If you play straight down the line, even an exceptional game often won't be sufficient to win an event
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2016-December-30, 08:26

yunustahir 87.71 1
arvidsson 86.38 2
orsocapo1 84.69 3
petrus71 82.85 4
thomas c 82.01 5
finally cracked 80 lucky is correct

#6 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-01, 12:28

Congratulations! That was fast.

#7 User is offline   mnpoker 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-10, 18:29

It would be great if after tourney in addition to seeing the contract other tables played in to see the bidding from those tables.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-11, 02:53

View Postmnpoker, on 2017-February-10, 18:29, said:

It would be great if after tourney in addition to seeing the contract other tables played in to see the bidding from those tables.

I can't reproduce your problem. Also I don't see the connection to the thread to which this is responding.

After a tourney you can review all of the tourney hands, at all tables, including full bidding and card play, either within the BBO Flash interface (click on My BBO, then "hands and results", "recent tournaments", select tournament then "other tables") or by going to MyHands website from your browser. Sometimes there can be a few minutes delay while it is populated.

While a tourney is in progress, and before you complete the final hand, you can review the same information for hands completed to date by the more direct route of clicking on the "Results" tab within the tourney. That method is broken when the last hand of the tourney is completed. Periodically forum members complain about this, but the only official response to those posts is a technical explanation for why it happens but no commitment to correcting it (and certainly no action to date to do so). Sad, really, given that the cause of the problem is known.

Mobile interface users don't have it quite so easy, perhaps.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users