• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-19, 16:20

IMPs, Round robin

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-19, 16:43

Partners most likely shape is 4-3-4-2 all right.

If they have the 4-3-5-1 or some such I'll hear about it after I pass but I'm a firm believer that decisions like this belong to the pass out seat. This should be my shape (or reverse the round suits) if I bid directly.

If lho raises to 4 I'll re-evaluate and consider a balance with 4 over that in the context that our style includes chunky 4 card suit overcalls with doubles tending to be the real deal, not just the right shape.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-December-19, 22:28

Pass shows I lack a 5th .
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-20, 04:37

Pass seems clear - no real extras, duplicated shortness and we're vulnerable.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-December-20, 06:10

Opps' bidding has revealed that partner has exactly 3 H and therefore most likely 4342 or 4351 distribution. With the latter he might be able to find another call (e.g. make an "action" double, if we play that) if I pass, so I'll assume he is 4342. Then there are 17 total trumps, but most likely only 16 total tricks due to mirror distribution. So Pass seems super-clear, at this and every other vulnerability.

This post has been edited by nullve: 2016-December-20, 07:47

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-December-20, 07:12

Fluffy "IMPs, Round robin"

I rank
1. Pass = NAT. Total trick compliant.
2. 3 = NAT. Probable double fit.
3. 3 = CUE. Max in high cards. Better than .
4. 3 = NAT. Partner had a support XX available, so has 4+ s.

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-20, 21:11

Partner isn't acting again. Our hand has the undisclosed extra suitability and max hcp.

Of course if you act you double and that's what i would do. It would be more awkward at matchpoints because of the risk of -200.

The best outcome is when partner's got something like 4333 14 or 15 and you collect a nice little penalty but obviously pushing them to 4 when partner's 4351 is good too.

As is usual on any competitive question on the forum i'm on my own and taking a more aggressive action than anyone else.

#8 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-20, 21:11

Am I the only one who thinks East might be goofing around with three small hearts and a club fit? I think this decision is a lot closer than the rest of you do.

If that's the scenario, I'd like to defend 3C with a heart lead but that's not happening. It wouldn't shock me if we either give up a spade trick on the lead or let the opponents discard a heart loser on a spade we help set up for them.

#9 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-December-21, 23:17

There is no guarantee we have found our best fit as yet. Partner could be 4351. I think 3D must be right at this point.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-22, 02:05

Partner is 4342 or 4351 and has a minimum takeout double. That makes this a 20-20 hand with, for LAW lovers, 17 or 18 total trumps. At low levels the LAW underestimates the total number of tricks. There may be an indication that this is a case where there are more trumps than there are tricks: Partner may have e.g. Jxx, a holding that is good on defense, but bad on offense. Nevertheless, I estimate the total number of tricks as 17 and I'll bid 3.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-December-22, 05:30

View Postwank, on 2016-December-20, 21:11, said:

Partner isn't acting again. Our hand has the undisclosed extra suitability and max hcp. Of course if you act you double and that's what i would do. It would be more awkward at matchpoints because of the risk of -200. The best outcome is when partner's got something like 4333 14 or 15 and you collect a nice little penalty but obviously pushing them to 4 when partner's 4351 is good too. As is usual on any competitive question on the forum i'm on my own and taking a more aggressive action than anyone else.
If double is competitive then Wank seems correct. Our agreement, however is that, after we bid and raise a suit, double is penalty, unless there is no room for another forward move. I accept that understanding might be inappropriate in this context.

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2016-December-23, 03:22

I was afraid of 3 being taken as some sort of game try, but anyway I ahted those hearts, but I was wrong, partner had A10xx AQX Q10xxx x, he passed out maybe because I tanked a bit, and of course spade lead blew a trick, but it was the 10th. In 3 with J singleton they need an insane defence to beat, and will normally get 1, 1 and 2 spades with or without a ruff.

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-December-23, 15:26

View PostFluffy, on 2016-December-23, 03:22, said:

I was afraid of 3 being taken as some sort of game try, but anyway I ahted those hearts, but I was wrong, partner had A10xx AQX Q10xxx x, he passed out maybe because I tanked a bit, and of course spade lead blew a trick, but it was the 10th. In 3 with J singleton they need an insane defence to beat, and will normally get 1, 1 and 2 spades with or without a ruff.

With a known double fit, don't be afraid to bid. :D
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-26, 11:00

View PostFluffy, on 2016-December-23, 03:22, said:

partner had A10xx AQX Q10xxx x, he passed out maybe because I tanked a bit,

Just a matter of style position wise. My partner would never pass it out (without a tank of course) but strategically it's been discussed in depth. Nothing wrong with either choosing to play it differently or guessing with no agreement.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2017-January-02, 03:16

The first question would be for what to expect for the voluntary raise to 2. I know some people who take it as invitational, others just competitive, but perhaps balanced hands with 4 spades should pass.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users