• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1C-X-? and then what?

#41 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-28, 15:39

View Postjogs, on 2016-December-27, 17:52, said:

There are no clear-cut best actions for your partner. But redouble and 3 bids are acceptable.
He should have pulled your 3NT bid. It is obvious you do not have a double stop in spades.
You did pass 2. He should have pulled 3NT to 4. If you rebid 4NT then he can pass.

We will never know what he would have done had I bid 3NT in tempo. Unfortunately I didn't.

I like the Phantom suggestion that having made the XX then a later 3S call would be good. A bit scary w/o discussion, but then so is any call at that point.

For my own part, I certainly considered 4C instead of 3NT over his 3H, mostly because of worries that turned out to be real.

I think he and I have come to think that an initial 1C-(X)-1H call is best. If we have a heart fit, we find it. If not, there is apt to be room to find what we do have. Of course 1H does not show his strength, but he is looking at it and I will learn of it soon.
Ken

#42 User is offline   tony stack 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-January-14, 20:34

Interesting auction, 1C,X, typically XX would show a hand with 10 or more points, as well as potentially wanting to double at least 1 of the suits that would be shown by the opponents later in the auction; the partner did have decent trumps should the opponent have decided to bid Hearts and/or Diamonds

#43 User is offline   tony stack 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-January-14, 20:39

View Postkenberg, on 2016-December-28, 15:39, said:

We will never know what he would have done had I bid 3NT in tempo. Unfortunately I didn't.

I like the Phantom suggestion that having made the XX then a later 3S call would be good. A bit scary w/o discussion, but then so is any call at that point.

For my own part, I certainly considered 4C instead of 3NT over his 3H, mostly because of worries that turned out to be real.

I think he and I have come to think that an initial 1C-(X)-1H call is best. If we have a heart fit, we find it. If not, there is apt to be room to find what we do have. Of course 1H does not show his strength, but he is looking at it and I will learn of it soon.

Yes; XX followed by 3S later in the auction (asking for stopper for 3nt as well as advertised shortness in Spades) could very well be the best call as it then allows potentially for a contract in either nt, clubs or possibly even diamonds [not shown by anybody yet]... Did not realize there were 3 pages to this topic already.

Edit; after reading all 3 pages looks as though even with the probable 3nt partner should still pull that contract out again (maybe to 4c) as having a double stopper in spades is likely ruled out and they have a void in spades

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users