#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-16, 17:48

https://www.youtube....h?v=eeii_hQA1FM

It clears your throat too!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-December-16, 18:42

Hmm. Someone out there does not understand the difference between a transitive and intransitive verb.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-16, 18:43

When I saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be one of GradeAUnderA's rants on the English language.
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-December-17, 03:41

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-December-16, 18:43, said:

When I saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be one of GradeAUnderA's rants on the English language.

Posted Image

I thought we need something to laugh in WC after recent serious topics that lasted forever.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-17, 08:24

View PostMrAce, on 2016-December-17, 03:41, said:

Posted Image

I thought we need something to laugh in WC after recent serious topics that lasted forever.

Definitely. And as much as I agree with 1eye about transitive and intransitive, I think that we can let it lie. Or let it lay. Or whatever.
Ken

#6 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-18, 21:36

It reminded me of my favorite botched robbery, when the robber yelled out in a bank: Hey Mother Stickers, This Is a ****-up! His face turned beet red and he left embarrassed and empty-handed amidst great laughter.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-18, 23:46

heh. There was a guy here some years ago who decided to stick up a local bar. Walked in, pulled his gun, fired a round into the ceiling while looking up, looked around... and froze. He was staring into the muzzles of at least a dozen guns. Moral of the story: if you decide to stick up a bar, don't pick one where off duty cops hang out.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-19, 09:39

In the past couple months there have been a string of bank robberies around here, and the cops dubbed him the "Spelling Bee Bandit" because he hands the teller a note that says "robery". But this didn't amuse the teller enough to not give him the dough.

He was caught about a week ago.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-19, 10:02

The English language is totally ****ed, especially the American strain. [start rant]

You've got Awlbany and Al abama
Shouldn't someone from Illinois be an Illinoiser?
And what's up with the 100% beef "Ham"burger
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-19, 13:34

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-December-19, 10:02, said:

We didn't name the German city Hamburg, after which the meat is named.

Do you also think it's a problem that turkeys didn't come from Turkey?

#11 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-19, 20:15

Be fair, the English language has evolved to torment some and delight others. "Ghoti" = "Fish is possibly the best known example but things like read, red reed and read are just unfair for people trying to learn it. The exact same word can have two entirely unrelated meanings (lie and lie, having just come from a discussion about the election) and that doesn't include any of the slang. From extremely limited understanding of the slang in other countries, it seems with only a few exceptions, English language profanity is generally pretty banal and unimaginative in comparison. So it makes up for it with everyday words. One goose -two geese: one moose - two moose: one mouse- two mice; one house -two houses. Maybe English speakers have no mental energy left over for imaginative profanity.

As far as pronunciation goes, though, dialects will be vastly different for every language if enough distance/time and sometimes it doesn't take that much. But I have known people from France who spoke no Spanish but claimed it was easier to understand Mexican Spanish than French Canadian French.

#12 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-20, 09:52

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-December-19, 10:02, said:

The English language is totally ****ed, especially the American strain. [start rant]

You've got Awlbany and Al abama
Shouldn't someone from Illinois be an Illinoiser?

And as Meg Ryan pointed out in Sleepless in Seattle, if a man's wife dies he is a widower. but we say he has been widowed. Shouldn't we say he has been widowered?

...... However.
Ken

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-21, 09:16

View Postonoway, on 2016-December-19, 20:15, said:

As far as pronunciation goes, though, dialects will be vastly different

I was at an outdoor patio in South Africa when a man said: Excuse me, my hobby is regional dialects. Are you from Toronto?

Man! I was impressed. He missed us by 400 kilometres.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-21, 19:29

View Postonoway, on 2016-December-19, 20:15, said:

One goose -two geese: one moose - two moose: one mouse- two mice; one house -two houses.

About 50 years ago, Shelly Berman did a whole routine on that. One hippopotamus, two hippopotami. One yo-yo, two yo-yi. Two jack-i. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users