BBO Discussion Forums: Whole lotta clubs - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whole lotta clubs over a 1NT overcall

Poll: Whole lotta clubs (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Double (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 2C (8 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. 3C (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. 4C (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 5C (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-15, 17:47

IMPs, unfavourable, how high are we driving this one?
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-December-15, 18:14

manudude03 "IMPs, unfavourable, how high are we driving this one?"
IMO, you should play fit-jumps here. If so, you might start with 2 (NF).

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-16, 04:44

They have at least 8 card fit. South may hold a hand where he can bid 2 with 5-6 hcp over 2 and trigger the North, where he may choose to pass over 3.
And if that does not stop them from finding their fit, pd will have a better idea about my hand over 4. He may choose to defend or he may choose to bid 5
If we start only 2 our next turn will be torturous, not knowing how good spades pd has or how good his clubs are. In order to avoid this, tell your hand now, unless 3 means fit jump.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-16, 08:18

oops. misread east as south.

pass and lead a club? Bid 2 and defend spades which we might be defending even after a pass? I'll take door #2.

At these colours I try to keep big numbers off the board and fight it out on the other hands.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-16, 12:27

3 seems like enough
The artist formerly known as jlall

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-December-16, 13:20

Whatever points partner has are possibly useful to you in a contract, but your are unlikely to be useful to partner in any contract. So, you want to play in . so the question is how high to go in .

Even with a bad break, it looks like you've got at least 6 winners and with anywhere near an even break probably 7 winners in hand. So, 3 looks like it has a good chance to make or at worse go off 1. Off 1 only costs you if they can find a double which may be problematic for them.

I think 3 stands out because part of good IMP playing is fighting for part scores. 3 forces them to try to find their fit at the 3 level preventing them from exchanging valuable information at the 2 level about fit and strength. And, occasionally, 3 may steal the contract.

If it's a really bad day and 3 x goes for -500, the hand's a good enough player to defend that call in the post mortem. What you don't want to do is try to defend a 2 bid
when it lets the opponents find the right strain and level in a pointed suit. That's especially true when your teammates can't compete over a 3 call and you give away a double part score swing.

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-December-16, 13:42

3 is preemptive for me. It is enough for me to bid at unfav. vul. I do have 8 of them after all.

#8 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-December-16, 15:29

View PostPhantomSac, on 2016-December-16, 12:27, said:

3 seems like enough

yeah I agree, but who are you?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#9 User is offline   gszeszycki 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-16, 19:04

PASS

yeah yeah yellow belly coward -- ostrich I've heard them all. I have even managed to bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak a few times when I made a pass like this at the table. What the heck do we expect to gain by bidding ANY number of clubs. It seems to me all any club bid will do is encourage the opps to reach a game they might otherwise miss. They should have around 22 HCp max so they seem slated to stop in a partial somewhere UNLESS a short club encourages lho to get a bit feisty and they then proceed to bid a probably easily making game (3n 4s heck 5d).

Another problem is that irritating 1n bid BEHIND p. That means p hcp are worth probably close to half their normal value AND since rho looks like they have a balanced hand the odds in favor of rho holding 3+ clubs has risen considerably which means going for a number has risen considerably. I hear so many complaining the opps might actually land in the right strain and we lose a part score battle (this does not scare me one whit). What scares me is the possibility we get hammered in clubs vs the opps actually making only a partial.

Can we shut partner UP? what if they have no sense of humor about our 3c bid and do something not realizing just how decrepit (though long) our club suit is. There they are looking at aces and a couple of clubs and you can see them wondering if they should gamble 3n. If you can picture this then you might get a good example of what 3c should look like AQJTxx (at these colors).

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-December-17, 03:26

View Posteagles123, on 2016-December-16, 15:29, said:

yeah I agree, but who are you?

The artist formerly known as Jlall! Posted Image
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-19, 09:37

I bid 3C at the table. I think the opponents had a bit of a misunderstanding here, and after some misdefence I was allowed to make an overtrick.

Wayne Somerville

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-December-19, 14:37

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-December-19, 09:37, said:

I bid 3C at the table. I think the opponents had a bit of a misunderstanding here, and after some misdefence I was allowed to make an overtrick.

18 trumps and 16 tricks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users