• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How improve play of hand?

#1 User is offline   bmonger 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-12, 19:19

Hi All,

I hope this question isn't too general, my apologies if so. I'm a relative newbie, and I like to play the robot duplicate(MP & IMP) games. Gives me a priceless opportunity to compare my play against better players on the same hands!

What I note is that my bidding isn't too bad, I get roughly the same bids as the better players roughly 75% of the time. I'm working on improving this aspect and making progress.

At the same time, the results show that I'm getting clobbered on the play of the hands. Every time I'm pleased that I've made a 3NT contract, the better players will make +2 or 3.

I've worked through the Seagram/Bird book and learned a lot from it. Other than more reading and practice, can anyone offer any suggestions of how I might improve in this area? I DO make a plan up front for every hand, but when I look at the results, most of the time I don't have a clue as to how the better players have squeezed out the extra tricks. I do know that I'm not yet great at analyzing the bidding and identifying the 'danger hand', but so often there isn't any information if the bidding.

I apologize if I'm wasting anyone's time, but any suggestions would be appreciated!

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-12, 23:14

Well, overall it is better if you post specific hands since each hand really needs to be treated on its own merits. Whenever you can, try and get a count on the opponents hands as doing so will help you place the cards better. Don't forget to use the auction for any clues. The lack of action is just as important as action taken. Knowing some basic probability as well as vacant spaces theory can go a long way too.

Also, on the BBO website, there is a section called My Hands. You can load up your recent hands and check the travellers and find out how your fellow competitors played the hand.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 00:24

It depends to some extent on how much time you have on your hands. There are probably several methods to improve card play, which vary in their effectiveness from player to player. Some drink books, others might note their contents with passing interest but seem unable to apply them when it matters. But nothing is totally wasted and no method need be adopted to the exclusion of others. The effluxion of time is your friend and I expect that the margins will narrow naturally and for no obvious discernable reason. The desire to accelerate that process is half the battle won.

You have one resource available that, as I say given the time and will, could serve you. You have already noted hands where "inexplicably" other players are making more tricks. You could take the trouble to convert "inexplicably" to "explicably" by reviewing how those others played the hands, seeing where they depart from your play, and see if you can work out why their deviation is superior. It is not always an easy task. Some hands will be easier than others to analyse. On some hands the bidding may affect the choices of defenders in declarer's favour, and you may have to check whether the bidding was identical to yours. Ignore hands where just a few players beat you, in favour of those where the entire room beat you in overtricks. If you come across hands where you still cannot see why the other tables acted that way, enlist the help of a friend who is an experienced player.

This kind of in depth review way, depending on your temperament, be more memorable than the occasional book illustration and thereby lend itself to practical application in future.

MyHands is your friend.

[EDIT] sorry, seems I largely repeated what manu said more briefly
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-13, 06:16

I play the tournament at bridgez.net every day. The first hand is always an annotated puzzle, which certainly helps me improve.
Different methods resonate with different people.

It is also about being greedy! Maybe you mentally turn off once the contract is guaranteed, while others look for overtricks

#5 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 06:16

I play the tournament at bridgez.net every day. The first hand is always an annotated puzzle, which certainly helps me improve.
Different methods resonate with different people.

It is also about being greedy! Maybe you mentally turn off once the contract is guaranteed, while others look for overtricks

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 06:21

Your local bridge club might have supervised play, or a lesson series on card play. This might initially be more helpful than attempting to analyse the hands onyour own.

Also, if you do play at a club offer one of the better players a drink after the session, and use the opportunity to ask for advice on a few of the hands.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2016-December-13, 06:23

Plan your play before you play a card.

COUNT!! Are you in the correct contract?

At NT count sure winners first.

At suit count sure losers first.

Then figure out how to maximize the results.

If a card MUST be in a specific opponents hand in order to make...play like it is there!

#8 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 08:57

Work through the free Bridgemaster hands on bridge base online (find through the Practice section). These are beautifully designed hands that teach you the skills you'll need to be a decent card player, and are excellent if you are a visual learner.

"Card Play Technique" is an absolute classic and fun to read, I recommend that to everyone who wants to learn practical play and defence. Both of these resources will get you thinking along the right lines. Enjoy!

And thirdly, as others have suggested, if your result is markedly worse than others' on a particular hand on BBO, you can quickly click through the play and see what they did differently.

#9 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 11:41

It's probably a little advanced for you at the moment but Play These Hands With Me by Terence Reece is possibly the best bridge book ever (it is also sold as part one of Practical Bidding and Practical Play). It follows the thinking of an expert player as he plays through various hands. It does assume a good basic knowledge of standard techniques, but you should still learn a lot from reading it.

Of course there are plenty of basic books around. Anything by Bird, Mollo, Reece and several others is worth reading. Check out the Chess and Bridge website.

http://shop.chess.co...ooks-s/1965.htm

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-December-13, 11:50

1. Read a lot although unfortunately a lot of hands on here rise above a basic level. Reading will get you to understand 'themes'. Go to the library and check anything with play in the title and written by Kelsey, Reese, Pottage, Kantar and Root.

2. Count. Everything. Its a pain in the ass at first, but you will get better with practice.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-December-13, 11:59

Agree with what the others have said, but in terms of recommended reading to improve your card play, imo look no further than:

https://www.google.c...eQkOSUI2B_Tbe9g

https://www.google.c...oSrxn6TDFfaTidQ
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#12 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 13:49

The reason that other player get better scores is that they've spent thousands of hours playing and *occasionally* learning bridge!

Obviously more reading and analysis will help, but if you really want to improve fast your best bet is to find the toughest IRL tournament in your area and play in it!

#13 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-December-13, 14:31

View PostWesleyC, on 2016-December-13, 13:49, said:

The reason that other player get better scores is that they've spent thousands of hours playing and *occasionally* learning bridge!

Obviously more reading and analysis will help, but if you really want to improve fast your best bet is to find the toughest IRL tournament in your area and play in it!

Disagree with this sentiment pretty strongly - Id guess youre kidding AAMOF.

I hadnt played one live session until I had scoured about three bridge books over a two year period and my card play and bidding was better than about 80-90% of the players on my first day of play.

I liken this to a 20 handicap golfer who plays every day and never improves unless they take lessons or initiates an intelligent practice routine.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#14 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 14:49

IMO the first books a beginner should tackle are
Bill Root How to Declare a Bridge Hand and
Mollo/Gardner Card Play Technique

after that there are dozens of worthwhile material from authors like Terence Reese, Hugh Kelsey, Mike Lawrence, Eddie Kantar among others.

Agree with Phil if you really master the content in just these you'll get into top 20%, better than players who have played decades without reading.

When you look into the tourney records and see how other players took more tricks, try to figure out what they were thinking. WHY did they take a particular line. Is their line clearly superior to yours, or did they just get lucky on the actual deal? Which suits they try to set up first. Draw trumps right away or not? The care to cash honors in the right order to maintain transportation, and cater to different layouts. Drop or finesse and why? How did their line combine multiple chances, what were they catering to?

#15 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 14:52

I tend to agree with Phil. BBO is full of players who in some cases play up to 100 boards a day yet are still at the level of a beginner, even if they do seem to think that they are experts. Of course to be good you do have to play quite a lot and to be expert you need to play every day, but to progress from being a novice to a reasonably strong player you need to learn the basics and the best way to do that is by a bit of study.

At the end of the day it is not a case of either/or. To become a strong player you need to both read and play. Also, as another I think mentioned, a great way to learn is to obtain copies of the hands that you have just played. You can then look at them carefully and check if you could have played or defended better. Don't just look at the boards in which you scored badly, also check those in which you did well. Maybe poor defence allowed you to get away with errors, or maybe you were just plain lucky.

Finally, join and play at a decent club. You should find the average standard far higher than on BBO.

#16 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-December-13, 15:21

by the way OP, you said:

I apologize if I'm wasting anyone's time

Absolutely 100% NO - this is a bridge forum, it's designed for people of all standards, and I'm sure as much as the other suggestions made on here will improve your card play, so will participating in this forum, either posting hands you've found difficult/interesting or by reading the more expert topics.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#17 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-December-13, 15:21

View Postbmonger, on 2016-December-12, 19:19, said:

Hi All,

I hope this question isn't too general, my apologies if so. I'm a relative newbie, and I like to play the robot duplicate(MP & IMP) games. Gives me a priceless opportunity to compare my play against better players on the same hands!

What I note is that my bidding isn't too bad, I get roughly the same bids as the better players roughly 75% of the time. I'm working on improving this aspect and making progress.

At the same time, the results show that I'm getting clobbered on the play of the hands. Every time I'm pleased that I've made a 3NT contract, the better players will make +2 or 3.

I've worked through the Seagram/Bird book and learned a lot from it. Other than more reading and practice, can anyone offer any suggestions of how I might improve in this area? I DO make a plan up front for every hand, but when I look at the results, most of the time I don't have a clue as to how the better players have squeezed out the extra tricks. I do know that I'm not yet great at analyzing the bidding and identifying the 'danger hand', but so often there isn't any information if the bidding.

I apologize if I'm wasting anyone's time, but any suggestions would be appreciated

Why don't you join the BIL club? You get supervised play with experts ready to offer advice on request. Very often the deals are analysed after the
tournament is over so you get free coaching. But be warned..like any other game,bridge demands time and study from its devotees so don't expect too
much too soon (!) ;)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 15:31

One of the best card play books that I have come across for those of modest experience is "Victor Mollo's Winning Double" by, well, Victor Mollo, of course. It has been out of print for as long as I can remember, but if you find it on the second hand market, snap it up.

The book is simply a compilation of puzzles of varying difficulty, from beginner to mildly advanced, randomly distributed throughout the book, in typical book-puzzle format; The problem is presented on one page with the solution on the reverse after turning the page. But the interesting point that holds the reader's attention is a guarantee that Mollo offers at the outset: The book is divided into two halves: set A and set B. Each set contains examples of the same genres of problems (with some themes that repeat, scattered through the book). You are invited to tackle sets A and B in the order of your choice, but you are assured that whichever set you tackle first, you will do considerably better on the second. That is a great confidence booster, I think.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#19 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 17:56

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-December-13, 15:21, said:

Why don't you join the BIL club? You get supervised play with experts ready to offer advice on request. Very often the deals are analysed after the
tournament is over so you get free coaching. But be warned..like any other game,bridge demands time and study from its devotees so don't expect too
much too soon (!) ;)

I STRONGLY endorse the BIL club. They get contributions and mentorship on all aspects of the game from really good people and have a full range of options to access the materials including a library so you can go at your own speed.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#20 User is offline   ncohen 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-13, 22:15

Read books. As of 10 or 20 years ago, some of the good non-beginner books on declarer play were Kantar's book on card play
//www.amazon.com/Bridge-Dummies-Eddie-Kantar/dp/111820574X, Root, How to Play a Bridge Hand; Card Play Techique by Mollo and Gardener; and Winning Declarer play by Dorothy Hayden Truscott. If you're including defense, then there's Root's How to Defend a Bridge Hand and any of a zillion books by Kantar.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users