BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Alerting rules - where are they ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Alerting rules - where are they ?

#1 User is offline   RogerPfi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-07, 17:59

BBO Alerting rules - where are they ? (please)

In trying to explain sensible alerting conduct I have been unable to point to a BBO doc that says what the procedure is.

To take a recent example - one pair said they did not need to alert any bids above 3NT and they where playing very non standard stuff.

I know they have got this (very reasonable f-to-f ) approach from the ACBL and that even then they have a duty to explain their bids AFTER the auction. Sadly they did not appear to appreciate this.

All of this could be quickly cleared up if only I knew where the BBO "Alert Procedure" document was so I could tell others about it.

Many thanks if you can help.

--
Roger

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-07, 22:17

View PostRogerPfi, on 2016-December-07, 17:59, said:

BBO Alerting rules - where are they ? (please)

As far as I know, there are no specific BBO alerting rules. If it's an ACBL sanctioned tournament, ACBL rules apply. Otherwise, again afaik, it's up to the person running the event what the rules are.

I'm going to move this to what I think will be a more appropriate forum.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-08, 10:31

"Default" is "Alert everything unusual", as if you were behind screens. That makes sense, as self-alerts are not seen by partner.

It is likely that the opponents in OP are from some jurisdiction that has a "no Alerts above 3NT" (after the first round, until the end of the auction,...) regulation. Even that is, in the two jurisdictions I know about, not applicable to screen play. So, in my opinion, it should not be applicable to BBO play. I don't know what online ACBL tournaments do with delayed Alerts (and I don't really care. The number of people who can delayed Alert correctly in the ACBL range from "most of the ACBL TDs" (yeah, it should be all of them) to "some of the more dedicated Precision players" (who get a lot of those auctions) to "at best, 1% of the regular tournament players". Adding "except when playing online, because it's like with screens" would segfault even the majority of these).

Trying to hide behind Alert regulations to avoid Full Disclosure in a self-Alerting environment is uncool. Not knowing how things are different, or just doing the Alert dance the way you were taught because you're not experienced enough to know there could possibly be another way is frustrating, but will in fact happen.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   Oceanss 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-09, 13:37

View Postmycroft, on 2016-December-08, 10:31, said:

"Default" is "Alert everything unusual", as if you were behind screens. That makes sense, as self-alerts are not seen by partner.

Very nice post, I'd hope that's how most BBO users understand.

#5 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-09, 15:13

I really wonder how many players think the ACBL rules do apply one way or another to BBO. There are a lot of different alert rules all over the world and most players on BBO will never play behind screens. So no one can "expect" that most BBO users will alert this way. And dont forget, what looks unusual for you might be most usual in other areas of the world.

Here is what you find at BBO:
http://online.bridge.../doc_rules.html

Guidelines for Alerts:
All members should understand that, due to the fact that we have members from all over the world as well as members of all levels of ability and experience, not all players will agree on which bids should be alerted and which bids should be considered "standard".

The management of BBO is not going to get involved with trying to make rules in this area. It is up to our members to try their best to provide their opponents with information that may be helpful to them. Always remember that it is against the laws and spirit of the game of bridge to conceal information about your partnership agreements from your opponents.

The BBO software is designed so that players alert their own bids. This is called "self-alerting" and it is opposite to the approach that is used in live bridge clubs and tournaments. If you have any doubt as to whether one of your bids should be alerted or not, it is appropriate to alert.

If an opponent asks you for the meaning of one of your bids, you are expected to answer them politely, even if you think the answer is obvious. An appropriate answer can be "I have never discussed this with my partner". You do not have to tell the opponents how you intend your bid - only what you have agreed with your partner. It is innapropriate to use chat to explain your bids to your partner unless you get permission from the opponents first.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-09, 15:35

The vast majority of bridge players probably don't realize that alerting rules differ from country to country, and just assume that whatever they've learned is how it is everywhere. Americans, in particular, tend to be very insular and ignorant about the rest of the world. And many of them already have trouble remembering the ACBL alerting rules.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users