BBO Discussion Forums: Unintended bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unintended bid inadvertent opening bid using bidding boxes.

#1 User is offline   walshtr 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-05, 16:17

Opener intended to bid 1S but, using bidding bOnes they opened 2S in error. Partner alerts and explains to LHO that the bid shows both minors. Can opener correct? Question arises on whether correction is being made without pause for thought. Partners alert pretty obviously informed opener of the error, which they would not have noticed immediately without the alert.
Is the 2S call enforced? Obviously opener can continue in any fashion they want as partner's alert has not given them unauthorised information.
Can the opening bid be corrected despite the obvious claim that there was pause for thought.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-05, 16:22

The "pause for thought" timer starts the moment he becomes aware of the unintended bid, not when he actually made the bid. So if he hear's partner's alert, immediately looks down to see why partner alerted, and says something like "Oops, I pulled the wrong card", he should be allowed to correct it.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-06, 10:26

As I have had occasion to say, case law has determined that "thought" is the important part of "pause for thought". If thought has occurred (besides "why is he Alerting?" of course), and a change of mind is in process, then no change of call may be made. If it is obvious that that is not the case, that no reconsideration has occurred, then the call can be changed provided partner has not called.

I was asked at a regional (obviously because of a ruling from another TD) "what does 'in the same breath' mean?" I was happy to answer "I don't know, but since that phrase has not been part of the Laws since at least 1990, I don't care, either. The current phrase is 'without pause for thought', and 'thought' is the operative word. If a change of mind occurred, the change of call cannot be allowed."

Again, it looks like, I'm violently agreeing with barmar.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-06, 10:41

View Postmycroft, on 2016-December-06, 10:26, said:

Again, it looks like, I'm violently agreeing with barmar.

Since you can't upvote me, I've upvoted you instead :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users