Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vacant places vs missing points

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-06, 21:59

My question isn't specifically about this hand, as there are probably other factors that I'm missing, but I find myself wondering this more and more often.

West leads a trump and they break 3-2. I now want to guess diamonds in order to discard a heart loser.

Argument 1: With East having more hearts than West, if all other things were equal, West is at least an 8:7 favorite to hold the queen of diamonds.
Argument 2: With East opening the bidding, and only 16 HCP between them, if all other things were equal, East is more likely to hold missing honors.

Which of these arguments outweighs the other?

(There's also the fact I can finesse against West twice and East once which is also an important factor and means finessing against East may not work anyway, but it's more about balancing the above ideas in general that I'm wondering about. Maybe change the 3 to a 9 and swap a club for a fourth diamond for South.)

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 22:26

I know you are not specifically asking how to play this hand but ....Who had the 3rd ?

There are also things to consider besides the vacant space.

• W did not raise hearts! With 4 card hearts or 3 card hearts and 4+ hcp he could have raised.
  • Are you playing MP or IMP? Is your goal to make 4 or max tricks available?

Think about this way, you have 2+1+1 losers. Club finesse working is not getting you off the hook unless E has stiff or Kx . But if he has more than Kx he also has at least 5 hearts and more likely 6 + 2 spades.

I would just exit with hearts after 3 round of spades. I may still have to guess diamonds if W has K but this guess will be easy after seeing W silent with K and support. He should not have Q too.
If East has the K I am home when it is stiff or doubleton or Kxx. (he will be endplayed when he has Kxx) Only time it will be a problem is when East has Kxxx , then I will guess diamonds to make.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 23:05

Why did West lead a trump and not a heart? If West has ace of hearts, why wasn't there a heart raise? Are you playing against GIBs in which case, both questions are moot since nobody knows why GIB makes most leads?

In any case, I would consider argument 3.

Argument 3: Exit a heart and don't touch diamonds.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 23:18

View Postjohnu, on 2016-December-06, 23:05, said:

Why did West lead a trump and not a heart? If West has ace of hearts, why wasn't there a heart raise? Are you playing against GIBs in which case, both questions are moot since nobody knows why GIB makes most leads?

Yeah it can be GIB. GIB preempts are more like GF bids rather than preempts.
Whoever programmed GIB preempts is definitely not from Europe!
For example, with strong NT hands, when my pd opened weak 2, I would invite. Against GIB, I am bidding and making game with almost all 12 ish hcp hands, even when I do not have fit!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-06, 23:20

As others said,these types of problems do not have general solutions,these are basically deal specific,play specific.

#6 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 23:24

View Postjohnu, on 2016-December-06, 23:05, said:

East was on lead. This makes West likely to hold the ♡ King.

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-07, 01:33

Yep, I knew there'd be far better ways of playing this hand that didn't rely on my actual question.

But for arguments sake, let's say before there has even been a lead to trick 1 - on the bidding, who is currently the favorite to hold the queen of diamonds? The player with the large majority of points, or the player with less known non-diamonds? How far do you have to take those numbers before they balance out? (From the extremes of, say, opps having 10HCP, which makes East a certainty, to somehow knowing East has, say, 6-5, which makes West a near certainty).

#8 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-December-07, 08:34

smerriman, thank you for 400/300. 6 in morning, it helps to have large print.

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-December-06, 23:24, said:

East was on lead. This makes West likely to hold the ♡ King.

"West lead a trump", confused me.

View Postsmerriman, on 2016-December-07, 01:33, said:

Yep, I knew there'd be far better ways of playing this hand that didn't rely on my actual question.

West likely held the K. If West also held the Q, why didn't West raise hearts?
Play East for the Q.

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-07, 08:56

My first thought was the non-heart lead. To me this means that east lacks an honor sequence in hearts, most likely missing the king. That makes him even more likely to hold the Q for his opening bid. (not sure how valid this is against robots)

Also, when you ask about vacant spaces and say trumps split 3-2, it would help to tell us who had the doubleton.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-07, 12:26

Hi,

the shape information is usually stronger, than the HCP information,
espesially if you are asking, who has a card with HCP value 1 or 2.
If you are looking for an Ace or a king, the card is more likely with
the higher amount.

Given that 16 HCP are missing, they may split from 0 : 16 to 6 : (9) 10,
and with 6 : 10, it is basically random.

As was pointed out, you have the chance to delay the guess, and you may
find out the HCP cards West holds, like the king of clubs and the jack
of spades.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users