BBO Discussion Forums: Revised Cappelletti response to 2Clubs bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Revised Cappelletti response to 2Clubs bid How to resopnd holding both majors?

#1 User is offline   veredk 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-04, 17:56

After 1NT bid by opener, 1st opponents makes a 2 overcall showing 1 Major and 1 minor suits (using revised Cappelletti convention) What should an advancer bid holding both Major suits?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-04, 20:12

Are both suits unknown? If so, I think that responder could start with a "values" double.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-04, 20:24

Or possibly a Stayman double.

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-04, 20:53

With "response to 2 clubs" and "advancer" I think the OP is looking for the partner of the overcall's bid.

#5 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-04, 21:17

You may be right - I was paying attention to the bit that said 'opponents'.

If so, it would depend on what various bids mean, but I would be comfortable guessing that 2H, 3H, and (possibly with a bit less comfort) 4H are all pass or correct without specific agreements.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-December-05, 01:13

View Postsfi, on 2016-December-04, 21:17, said:

You may be right - I was paying attention to the bit that said 'opponents'.

If so, it would depend on what various bids mean, but I would be comfortable guessing that 2H, 3H, and (possibly with a bit less comfort) 4H are all pass or correct without specific agreements.

And 2NT would probably be a forcing enquiry, though I am not sure of what continuations would be best.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-December-05, 04:22

By the term 'advancer',I take it as the partner of 1NT opener.i feel there should be no problem in using Lebensohl responses. If the term is used for cappeleti bidders partner then they know how and what to bid even if the No Trump openers partner makes a bid over the 2C bid.(the plan is well known ).

#8 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-December-05, 04:41

View PostVampyr, on 2016-December-05, 01:13, said:

And 2NT would probably be a forcing enquiry, though I am not sure of what continuations would be best.

If 2NT is a forcing relay, which is what it should be,then 3C and 3D by the cappeleti bidder will show the respective minor suit and then a relay of 3D/3H will ask for the major. To a 3D relay 3H/3S answer will show the respective major and to a 3H relay a 3S answer will show Spade suit and a 3NT answer will show a heart suit.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-December-05, 12:37

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-December-05, 04:22, said:

By the term 'advancer',I take it as the partner of 1NT opener.i feel there should be no problem in using Lebensohl responses. If the term is used for cappeleti bidders partner then they know how and what to bid even if the No Trump openers partner makes a bid over the 2C bid.(the plan is well known ).

Advancer means the partner of the overcaller. Many of us misunderstood, because we were thinking that OP was interested in a defence, rather than help developing his own methods.

Lebensohl is a bit tricky when no anchor suit is known.

#10 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-05, 14:42

Since I do have experience with this convention (called Crunched Cappeletti), I know the answer!

You bid 2D when you prefer spades to hearts and 2H otherwise. That way, over 2D, overcaller can either rebid 2S (when spades are held) or 2H otherwise.

When advancer bids 2H, opener may pass with hearts or correct to 2S when not holding hearts.

The more interesting question is what does advancer bid when holding both majors and wanting to make a move toward game! Generally speaking, in such instances one bids 2NT.

#11 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-05, 16:02

Ah, I was confused. Around here, "revised Cappelletti" is "2 = D or M+m, 2M NAT"; in which case, with both majors you bid 2 like you're supposed to, and partner will either pass with diamonds or bid the major which you will pass (or decide what to do). If you can't afford to let partner pass 2 (because with diamonds you might have game), you do something else.

But this, where it does promise a major and a minor, I would follow Caitlynne's version - or I'd do something like the Woolsey trick (over X="4cM+longer minor, or various rare hands") where 2 is "show me the major" and then 2NT is "didn't like that one, show me the minor."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users