• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two nicks, one player Should we be concerned about blatant cheating

#1 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-02, 10:37

I have noticed two players who only ever play together and who are blatantly cheating. I'm almost certain that they are actually one person playing with two nicknames. Their (or rather, his) bidding is random, with frequent bidding of short suits. I'm not talking about splinters, but openings, responses and overcalls on singletons and voids occurring almost every board. As an example; xx K10xxxx AQxx A overcalls 1S over a 1C opening. Partner responds 2H on 10xxx QJx xxx Qxx and plays there, doubled making +1. As a consequence of this sort of thing they (he) averages around +4.5 imps a board. Over the last two days he has played 91 boards with pluses on 82 and only nine negatives, with a net score of +445 imps.

Goodness knows what this person gets out of this activity. It seems to me like buying a book of crosswords and filling them in after looking up all the answers. Anyway, this person continues playing forty or fifty boards a day despite being reported to BBO Abuse many times. Should I care? Should anyone care? Apart from giving their oppo unmerited bad score (although most don't hang around for more than three or four boards) the random scores that they generate affects all others playing those boards.

Any thoughts?

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-02, 10:54

most people on here seem to have an overly rosy view of human nature and think this hardly ever happens. in my experience it's rife.

#3 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-02, 11:30

I can well understand your annoyance. And like you I don't understand what motivates such people. They surely can't expect to advance their standing within BBO - nor as a bridge player elsewhere.

It's a pity that abuse@BBO don't give any feedback. I've sent in a few E-mails in my time (not always about suspected cheating), but never got a peep out of them as to whether any action was taken. I appreciate that there is an online privacy factor, but this only adds to one's frustration.

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-02, 11:53

In the past, I have recommended that BBO send out at least an automated response that they have received a complaint. IMO, they should send out a followup that somebody is looking at suspect hands, and a final email stating whether any wrongdoing was found and any penalties levied.

Assuming that somebody is actually reviewing hands, sending followup emails should take much less time than analyzing a single hand. Whistleblowers may get discouraged at the lack of response and decide it's not worth the effort to report additional miscreants.

#5 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-02, 12:17

In the past I have received two replies to each report. The first is automated and states that I will receive a report of any action taken. The second response is from an actual person who says the opposite; that got privacy reasons they cannot give me any further information. I've never had any subsequent communications. Given that the case mentioned above is as clear an example of cheating as there could be I do wonder whether any action is ever taken against wrongdoers.

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-02, 14:07

The general gist from BBO admins has been: we do investigate some cases, and take action if appropriate, including bans. However, anyone can make a new user name and continue cheating and we have no way to prevent them from doing so.

The upshot is: you are your own enforcement service. Use your blacklist.

And yes, I have observed probable cheating in several cases over the years.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-02, 15:39

View PostGrahamJson, on 2016-December-02, 12:17, said:

In the past I have received two replies to each report. The first is automated and states that I will receive a report of any action taken. The second response is from an actual person who says the opposite; that got privacy reasons they cannot give me any further information. I've never had any subsequent communications. Given that the case mentioned above is as clear an example of cheating as there could be I do wonder whether any action is ever taken against wrongdoers.
Yes that's more or less what I get. The first, auto-reply merely says:

This is an automated reply from Bridge Base Online.
A ticket has been opened regarding your issue.
You will receive additional emails as we take action.

The second, human reply, I strongly suspect is yet another copy-and-paste job: it's a bit more personalised, but nevertheless it almost invariably goes as follows: word for word:

Thank you for letting us know about this. We will investigate the incident and do whatever is needed. Our players provide valuable help to us which allows us to investigate and take appropriate action. The end result: Together we keep BBO a safe, comfortable and friendly place to play our favorite game.
Thank you for writing and especially thank you for making BBO your personal online Bridge Club.

This is fine as far as it goes - but a bit anodyne don't you think? Yes I know the abuse team probably have a lot of complaints to deal with, day after day .... but personally I'd like a bit more than that. ;)

#8 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-07, 18:15

It's really hard sometimes to know for sure what's going on. I have had reports of cheating from time to time in the club and usually it turns out to be that someone played the hand or bid the hand differently than the person objecting. I have had people claiming that a pair must be cheating because they were husband and wife with NO other evidence than that. I'm sure that BBO abuse gets more than their share of those, as well as complaints about the people who really are cheating. Many of us go through periods when everything we do bounces back and smacks us, and other times that we can do no wrong. if I have a concern, I ask for help from someone much more expert than I am and often it's very difficult for them to determine if wrongdoing is going on. Still, when it IS clear cut then they should be booted imo. Even if they do come back with another ID perhaps eventually they'll quit either cheating or playing and either one would be a win.

#9 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-08, 11:41

View Postonoway, on 2016-December-07, 18:15, said:

It's really hard sometimes to know for sure what's going on. I have had reports of cheating from time to time in the club and usually it turns out to be that someone played the hand or bid the hand differently than the person objecting. I have had people claiming that a pair must be cheating because they were husband and wife with NO other evidence than that. I'm sure that BBO abuse gets more than their share of those, as well as complaints about the people who really are cheating. Many of us go through periods when everything we do bounces back and smacks us, and other times that we can do no wrong. if I have a concern, I ask for help from someone much more expert than I am and often it's very difficult for them to determine if wrongdoing is going on. Still, when it IS clear cut then they should be booted imo. Even if they do come back with another ID perhaps eventually they'll quit either cheating or playing and either one would be a win.

I agree with you, but in this case it could not be clearer. For example opening 1S on a singleton, partner raises on three and you end up in 3NT, making on a non spade lead. Or opening 1S on A Jxxxx Axxxx Jx and rebidding 2C over partner's 1NT response, keeping oppo out of their 4S contract. In fact oppo bid 2NT which goes one off when partner leads a diamond. And these aren't exceptions, almost every board is like this. How about opening 1H on KJxxx X QJx Jxxx and rebidding 2S over partner's 1NT response. This is passed out and makes exactly, partner having Axxx Qxx Kxx xxx. Oppo somehow did not find their heart fit.

#10 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-11, 13:20

View PostGrahamJson, on 2016-December-08, 11:41, said:

How about opening 1H on KJxxx X QJx Jxxx and rebidding 2S over partner's 1NT response. This is passed out and makes exactly, partner having Axxx Qxx Kxx xxx. Oppo somehow did not find their heart fit.
I don't think the accusation of cheating is as clear as all that: not in this hand.

Clearly, if not a cheat, the opening bid is a psych. But psyching is not illegal - at least not in the casual play areas - provided it's not part of an undisclosed agreement.

Let's assume that opener's was a psych, and there was no secret agreement. If playing 4CM, partner might respond 1 but 1NT is not entirely wrong. Then opener - apparently - reverses into 2 - again psyching. Partner may decide that, even with the reverse and a fit, their flat 9 points is not enough for game, they obviously prefer to .... so they pass. The fact that the opponents were thus prevented from bidding was unlucky for them, but isn't solid evidence of cheating.

But this is not to say that cheating doesn't happen. I'm sure it does. But before making accusations, you need to have cast-iron evidence in every example you bring up.

#11 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-11, 14:19

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-December-11, 13:20, said:

I don't think the accusation of cheating is as clear as all that: not in this hand.

Clearly, if not a cheat, the opening bid is a psych. But psyching is not illegal - at least not in the casual play areas - provided it's not part of an undisclosed agreement.

Let's assume that opener's was a psych, and there was no secret agreement. If playing 4CM, partner might respond 1 but 1NT is not entirely wrong. Then opener - apparently - reverses into 2 - again psyching. Partner may decide that, even with the reverse and a fit, their flat 9 points is not enough for game, they obviously prefer to .... so they pass. The fact that the opponents were thus prevented from bidding was unlucky for them, but isn't solid evidence of cheating.

But this is not to say that cheating doesn't happen. I'm sure it does. But before making accusations, you need to have cast-iron evidence in every example you bring up.

IMO, clear-cut and blatant cheating. Anybody who doesn't bid at least game with responder's hand when opener has that hand is bidding looking at opener's hand, in other words, cheating.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-11, 18:39

If it is possible to cheat, some people will cheat, and in online bridge it is easy.

You can report people and mark them as enemies, but another idea is to play only in for-pay competitions. The have a money account, players will have to give personal details, and will probably not want to risk a lifetime ban unless they have multiple credit cards in several different names.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-12, 09:46

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-December-11, 13:20, said:

If this was a one off then you could right it off as a psych. However it happens on about 50% of their boards. E.g you hold xxxx xxx X Q10xxx. LHO opens 1D partner overcalls 1H. You raise to 2H. P bids 3C and then RHO bids 3D. So bidding has been;

(1D)-1H-(Pass)-2H
(Pass)-3C-(3D)-

You double. This is passed out and goes for 800, partner holding AQ X Kxxxxx AJxx. Again oppo miss their 54 heart fit.

I could go on; 1NT overcall on Axx xxx xxx Kxxx, a take out double of 1D on xxx xxxx Axx Jxx, a 1S opening on void QJxx AKxxx Jxxx, a 1S opening on Axx Kxx Kxx KJxx (in this case your 3C rebid is passed by partner, who holds xxxx void Qxxx Q10xxx). In every case the partner takes action that is only explicable if he can see your hand.

#14 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-12, 09:52

Or how about a 2NT opening on AQx xxx Axxx Jxx. Partner responds 3C and passes your 3D rebid. He holds xxx X KQxxx Axxx. You make 3D when most oppo's are making 3H.

#15 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-12, 10:18

One last example with the same sequence as the first; 1H - 1NT - 2S passed out. The 1H opener holds Kxx xxx KQxxx xx, the 1NT bidder, who passes 2S, holds QJxxxx Axx X Qxx.

#16 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2016-December-12, 15:09

If all this idiocy is going on at the table of the main club and nobody is forced to play and compete with them it is probably better just to blacklist that player(s) and forget about it.

It is harder if they play in free tournaments, but I don’t think BBO abuse cares too much about cheating in free games.

If cheating is going on in paid tournaments (ACBL or others) you should report cheaters and supposedly abuse team will take care on it.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-13, 10:42

View Postolegru, on 2016-December-12, 15:09, said:

It is harder if they play in free tournaments, but I don’t think BBO abuse cares too much about cheating in free games.

It's not that we don't care, but we have limited resources so cheating in tournaments gets priority.

It's also harder for us to stop them if they do this in the MBC. If we ban them, they can just create new accounts. But if they play in pay tourneys, we can block their credit card so they can't purchase BB$.

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-15, 07:28

Could it be that they are playing some form of undisclosed transfer system? That would of course also be cheating but on a different level from that of one person bidding both hands in such a way as to cause confusion deliberately.
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-21, 11:50

Here's a very simple instance, I just hope it's more a case of me being paranoid, than me being suspicious. Judge for yourself.

I'm sitting over dummy, holding a bare K in the trump suit. Dummy holds AQ10xx and my partner (as I find out later) holds Jxxx. Nothing in the bidding, nor the play up till now, has given any hint of the distribution. And my gaining the lead would not be a danger to declarer. Nevertheless, declarer leads from hand and after a longish pause goes up with the A. How would you react?

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-21, 14:32

How would playing with two nicks help him figure out what your cards are? And why would there be a longish pause before he played the ace?

He'd need to be in cahoots with a kibitzer for this to be cheating instead of a lucky guess.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users