• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sign off or not?

#21 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-05, 17:37

View PostWinstonm, on 2016-December-05, 16:59, said:

Yes. In fact, on the given hand the heart suit is improved - but I don't think that is quite enough to encourage. Do you?

I don't get it. You discourage with x AKJxx Kxxx QJx, and you encourage with x AKJxx Kxxx xxx. Why?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#22 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-December-05, 19:58

double post
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#23 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-December-05, 20:03

View Postcherdano, on 2016-December-05, 17:37, said:

I don't get it. You discourage with x AKJxx Kxxx QJx, and you encourage with x AKJxx Kxxx xxx. Why?

30-point deck. Say my partner's bid shows at least 12 HCP - then we hold minimum 23 of 30 - I take the 3N shortness bid to mean that the 3S did not hurt my partner's hand, so he is interested. I would expect Axx or maybe AJx but no more in spades. My xxx is opposite x, so my high cards are improved by supporting cards in partner's hand.

IMO, a reasonable hand for the bidding so far would be Axx, Qxxx, AQxxx, x
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#24 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-07, 11:18

View Postcherdano, on 2016-December-05, 17:37, said:

Doesn't "wastage in both minors" amount to "values in both minors", which is what I hold.

#25 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-December-08, 19:01

View Postlamford, on 2016-December-03, 12:55, said:

Some good players I asked thought I should have bid 4C/4D because I have good trumps.Partner had AKJTx QTxx Axx x and we missed slam when I signed off in 4H.

Why are upset you missed 6? I only see 2 spades, 2 diamonds and 7 hearts?. Was your 12th trick a spade or the 8th heart?
Either way, is it really clearly better than 50/50?

#26 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-14, 15:54

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-December-02, 06:12, said:

As little as Axxx, Qxxx, AQxx, x will make slam decent, I think you need more with a stiff diamond, eg with the minors reversed you need AKxx.

Your diamond trick may well only be useful for throwing a winner on

In what world would this and pass a 4h sign off? It is absolutely huge. Give partner 10-11 working points to go with his spade singleton: x AKxxx Kxx xxxx still has a lot to do, but x KJxxxx Kxxx Axx is pretty good. x AKxxx JTx Axxx is even better.

I think that the hand in question is an easy sign off, but I also think that you should play better methods. 3C as any min (as evaluated for slam) solves a ton of problems in these auctions. Now 1h-2n-3s would show extras and a spade shortage, whereas 1h-2n-3c(min)-3d(shortage ask)-3S would show 11-14 with a spade shortage. This would help doubly here as you would know after 3N whether parther has a slam try evaluated in the knowledge that you are 11-14 or 14+. So you can evalulate your hand in context.

The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users