• You cannot reply to this topic

ATB partscore battle

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-28, 16:06

IMPs, 7-board match

Opps are playing 5cM strong NT. Something went wrong with the defence to let them make it with an overtrick rather than it being one down, but either way NS should surely outcompete them in spades (in fact, they can make 4S). Who should do more?

ahydra

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-28, 17:53

I would have bid 2 as south the first time around (whether forcing or not). 1N looks like a reasonable alternative, depending on your style. Pass doesn't.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-November-28, 20:29

I also would bid 2 in first round.

Now I'm bidding 2 . Partner should know it's not a 3+ card raise else I'd have raised the first round. If they bid on, I'm passing.

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-28, 22:12

View Postahydra, on 2016-November-28, 16:06, said:

but either way NS should surely outcompete them in spades (in fact, they can make 4S).

ahydra

Why wouldn't I expect to lose 3H, 1C, 1D, 1S? I'm not that unhappy defending here. Even if dummy has jack fourth of spades and declarer has the non-singleton K, it would seem as though two top spades, third spade ruffed with the 10, and a club misguess sets 2H. On the same hand, three hearts and a club shift dooms 2S or 3D.

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-November-29, 03:40

AS Kaitlyn says 4S is a very lucky make, but I think as a matter of principle passing with 2 Aces when your partner has overcalled is just a bad idea.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-29, 05:09

View Posteagles123, on 2016-November-29, 03:40, said:

AS Kaitlyn says 4S is a very lucky make, but I think as a matter of principle passing with 2 Aces when your partner has overcalled is just a bad idea.

I would never want to be in game and I do not think NS will reach to game anyway, despite it is making as OP said, even at IMPs. But NS under competed.
PASS by South is bad when we all make overcalls all the way up to 17 hcp and some people overcall even with more when they do not have T/O shape.
His 2nd Pass is ....
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-29, 05:11

yes passing a spade is just lame.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users