Lead vs 6D

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-26, 14:00

Team match
Opponents are adv minus
Position is not clear whether they are bidding to make or just sort of preempting at these colors

What is your lead to get the best result?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-November-26, 14:03

small club
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-26, 14:30

I don't think partner is doubling just on CK and HA. First, do no harm. Small spade in accordance with your lead conventions.

#4 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-26, 14:56

Ditto as eagles123.

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-26, 23:40

very nonexpert answer....2S

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-November-27, 03:06

As I said the position is not clear at these colors but, would you change your mind IF you were sure DBL was asking for a lead (lightner)?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   gszeszycki 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-27, 08:45

What kind of hand are we expecting from the dummy? Was this the monster preempt with no chance of making (we might be making 6s or more if that is the case) OR was it a bid with a chance at making. One might expect the latter to look something like
void Kx(x) Axxx(xx) AKxxx(x). It is possible for the opps void to be anywhere BUT it is much more likely to be a major suit void since a long major suit might score better than diamonds and the opp made no effort to introduce their long suit (simply because clubs will score no better than diamonds and diamonds rates to be a better contract.

Thinking this way it seems logical to play lho for a void in spades and attack using the heart J. Who knows maybe we will even score 3 heart tricks off the top (not to mention it might be the only way to score 2 heart tricks)(unavailable with any other suit lead).

If we are assuming the bid to be lightner I would try a low club since it seems hugely unlikely lho is long in spades.

#8 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-27, 10:59

As West not explored further before slam bidding,i expect him to have a two suiter hand with a void & taking a chance not to expose his weakness.If that is so,judging by South's hand it should be & with void in West hand.

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-27, 12:58

View PostMrAce, on 2016-November-27, 03:06, said:

As I said the position is not clear at these colors but, would you change your mind IF you were sure DBL was asking for a lead (lightner)?

I'm fairly ambivalent between leads as posed in the OP, so if X were Lightner I'd lean strongly towards a spade. The 2, I suppose.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-November-27, 15:58

MrAce asks "Team match Opponents are adv minus. Position is not clear whether they are bidding to make or just sort of preempting at these colors. What is your lead to get the best result?"

I guess this is a Lightner double (If not Lightner, then partner should still be prepared for the Lightner directed lead). Partner is likely to hold a void and a trump trick or an AK. I guess
1. 4. Partner's void is likely to be in your longest side-suit. If the lead is wrong it is less likely to surrender the contract immediately
2. J = Perhaps partner has AK.
3. 4. Could be right, But, if wrong then more likely to give away contract.
4. 5. If partner is doubling on power, this may reduce cross-ruff chances.

With special agreements, there might be additional clues, For example, where the lead is likely to be a guess you might rely on a mnemonic like
- "If your heart's stopped pass away" so double might indicate a black-suit lead.

#11 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2016-November-27, 16:56

In imps it look clear to maximize our chances to get a plus. No reasons to think 6D is going to be an advance sac 5 times more often than with an intend to make.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-November-27, 17:25

Those who led defeats.

Those who led made the same mistake I did. Mistake was not to lead the but the spade card we chose.
When we decide to lead I think leading Q increases our chances.

#13 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2016-November-28, 10:10

Im used to the strong use of SP for leads after a lightner, so I would be afraid partner underlead HA after ruffing. With a S void and seeing the J!S (or K!S if you play rusinow) on dummy i would automatically think the Q!S show A/K or Hvoid.

Very interesting hand
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#14 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-29, 00:05

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-November-29, 01:15

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-29, 00:05, said:

Please, if you are going to construct hands to show how Q fails, that is fine with me.
But at least try to make it consistent with the auction and consistent with average human logic.
The one you posted is consistent with neither of them.

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-November-29, 04:11

This is not a lightner double.

Not saying that partner's double was wrong. Just that it doesn't specifically ask us to find his void.

The reason is that a lightner is a doubler of a voluntarily bid slam. Here we don't know if it is. It might be preemptive. Hence, the double just shows ownership of the hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-30, 13:31

Interesting hand - with the benefit of hindsight, I do like the Q lead :)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2016-December-03, 09:32

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-November-29, 04:11, said:

This is not a lightner double.

Not saying that partner's double was wrong. Just that it doesn't specifically ask us to find his void.

The reason is that a lightner is a doubler of a voluntarily bid slam. Here we don't know if it is. It might be preemptive. Hence, the double just shows ownership of the hand.

During years I've heard on the forums several times about preempting to the 6 level before opponents could bid. But in reality, in my life, I have never ever seen one. Maybe it is something about my countrymen being pussies.

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2016-December-03, 09:37

View PostMrAce, on 2016-November-29, 01:15, said:

But at least try to make it consistent with the auction and consistent with average human logic.

One wonders what for you would be consistent with one but not the other.

On the other hand I consider the bidding on the hand proposed better than most I see daily.

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-December-03, 10:29

View PostFluffy, on 2016-December-03, 09:37, said:

One wonders what for you would be consistent with one but not the other.

On the other hand I consider the bidding on the hand proposed better than most I see daily.

AKJT98
A32
A
A32

• Nobody bids 6 over white vs red 3 with this.
  • Nobody even bids 5 with this before they search for spade fit.
  • Even if W is obsessed playing in diamonds, there is a thing called RKCB.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users