BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - not the greatest of contracts - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB - not the greatest of contracts

Poll: ATB - not the greatest of contracts (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How did it get so wrong?

1. E should have bid 1N rather than 2H (2 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. W should have passed 3C (16 votes [53.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

3. E should have bid 3D over the X (4 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

4. E should have bid 3S over the X (7 votes [23.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

5. No blame - all bids reasonable (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Your alternative bid here (to be edited after specified) (0 votes [0.00%])

7. E should have bid 2S rather than 2H (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Other (1 votes [3.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-22, 18:03

IMP teams. Select multiple options if you think there were multiple misbids. Which of the calls are close?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-23, 02:23

The double of 3C is supposed to suggest something other than the players current mental state. Not thrilled with 2H and 1NT just doesn't look suitable. Frankly even though I have only 2 spades they are big tickets making 2S the choice for me.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-23, 02:35

given your methods it is questionable if w can afford a nonforcing pass so double is ok. e should bid 3s
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-23, 06:40

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-November-23, 02:35, said:

given your methods it is questionable if w can afford a nonforcing pass so double is ok. e should bid 3s

What do you think double of W showed?
Why do you believe he can not pass? Do you think 2 bidder has 13-15 hcp and they miss game?
And if you believe double of 3 by West is showing values, what do you think double by East would show?
East would definitely double with 13+ so I do not get why you think W can not pass.

View PostJinksy, on 2016-November-22, 18:03, said:

IMP teams. Select multiple options if you think there were multiple misbids. Which of the calls are close?

This is the type of mistake that I see a lot in BBF.
I said this in the past and keep on saying that people at some point have to understand the difference between pass out seat and non pass out seat calls.
Seems like our West thought he was on pass out seat, when he was not.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-23, 08:48

I agree that the double of 3 is pretty hopeless. What on earth was it supposed to show?

Playing aggressive overcalls doesn't mean you deny a good hand, especially at this vul.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-23, 09:19

West shouldn't double here, he needs at least another king or so for that (after which the 3NT bid is more than reasonable, though you might try 3S assuming that would be forcing). Of course, passing could also lead to a bad result as I don't see East keeping it open opposite what could be a 5242 AKxxx and out, with 3C quite likely making. Such is life when an opponent is dealt a long suit at favourable vulnerability.

ahydra

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-23, 09:25

Agree with the rest of the respondents that West shouldn't double 3C.

On a related note, especially if you play aggressive overcalls, you might want to consider playing constructive but non-forcing 2 level advances.

#8 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-November-23, 11:00

I don't think a style where 11 hcp and 5 hearts is enough for a F1 2 advance to a "fairly aggressive" 1 overcall is playable. (After a 1 opening the analogous style would be to play the 2 response as 8+, 5+ H, F1, wouldn't it?)

I don't understand the criticism of West's (takeout) double. He has extras (given the lightish overcall style), short clubs, doubleton hearts and a sixth spade. What else does he need? (I'm assuming that 2 didn't set up a force over 3, in which case X of 3 would be for penalties.)

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-November-24, 21:23

Playing "new suit forcing" over partner's overcall allows advancer a little more freedom to introduce a new suit with a hand where you can preference back to overcaller's suit. I see no problem with East using it here to bid 2 . If one of West's were a , it would lead to a nice partial.

Once advancer has forced, it's up to overcaller to define the nature of the overcall. This follows a key principle of good bidding that, as soon as possible in any auction, someone has to limit their hand. This helps the partnership know what ballpark they are playing in.

If South had passed instead of bidding 3 , I believe West's bid should have been 2 showing less than an opener. It's close, but the West hand has made a VUL overcall on a very poor suit and just an 11 count. IMO, any other bid by West in this sequence should show opening values or more.

Once South has bid 3 , a similar logic applies, any direct free call other than pass by West should show opening values. A pass in this situation denies opening values. IMO, pass is definitely the right call with West's hand.

Then in pass-out seat, East has to make a decision whether to compete further. If East decides to compete, I think Double is the clear choice. It should say "I'd like to compete further, but am not sure what to bid." But I'd find it hard to criticize anyone who chooses pass when partner can be aggressively overcalling.

I don't like the 3 NT call either. East does have a stopper, but South should be showing 6+ with the free 3 call. Even though West has doubled, there's no guarantee that West holds anything in . That means that 9 running tricks would need to available after the stop is knocked out. With all the quacks in East's hand, West would have to hold a lot of cards/controls to make that happen.

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-26, 04:38

Do people have a view on whether East's 3 (or rather, West's double, if not passed) would be gameforcing?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#11 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-30, 01:51

The 2 seems like a real stretch. The 3 level could be way too high. Going with a low 1NT with a weakish 11 seems much better.

The double of 3C also seems dubious. Even if its ok on values it suggests more defense in clubs and doesn't show the extra length in spades. Pass or 3S could both be ok here, partner can keep the auction going, and there is a heart tolerance to fall back on,

#12 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-30, 06:57

View PostJinksy, on 2016-November-26, 04:38, said:

Do people have a view on whether East's 3 (or rather, West's double, if not passed) would be gameforcing?

At first blink, I did not think, that 3S is GF, but ...
2H should show inv. strength, so I would assume, that the X
accepts the invitation.
The X basically say, this is our hand, so ... yes 3S should be
GF, since the X created a gf seq.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users