BBO Discussion Forums: thin raise of minor after forcing NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

thin raise of minor after forcing NT

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-20, 21:25

Sorry don't have hand link.

GIB essentially has
Tx Tx QJ9xx Kxxx

and bids 1s-1nt-2d-3d. 3d is described as "8-12 total points 5+d".

I think 6 hcp and 2 doubletons is a bit thin for a raise here. Especially when don't have the impossible 2s available to distinguish between courtesy and serious raises. Kind of feel should at least 8 HCP minimum, maybe even 9 when impossible 2s not avail?, 10-13 total points?

#2 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-21, 16:28

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-November-20, 21:25, said:

Sorry don't have hand link.

GIB essentially has
Tx Tx QJ9xx Kxxx

and bids 1s-1nt-2d-3d. 3d is described as "8-12 total points 5+d".

I think 6 hcp and 2 doubletons is a bit thin for a raise here. Especially when don't have the impossible 2s available to distinguish between courtesy and serious raises. Kind of feel should at least 8 HCP minimum, maybe even 9 when impossible 2s not avail?, 10-13 total points?

Oh yes!

And then you sit there with a two-suiter, 14 points, and you wonder: If partner has a minimum, you must pass now since 3 is the last contract that makes; while if partner has a maximum, 3NT may be a no-brainer, or even 5 might make.

I had that recently with clubs instead of diamonds, here's the link:
{comments}

I decided to fake a 3 bid hoping partner may be able to bid a heart stop, but I got a 4 reply and went down. 3NT makes!
Bidding 3 with my hand instead of 3 carried a label like "5+ s, 4+ , 4+ s ...", iirc. I didn't want to fake that one for fear of being raised to 4 with who-knows-what.

Anyway, I find the range from 8 to 12 points too wide, the information is next to useless opposite a frequent set of hands. How about bidding 2NT with the 11 - 12 points hands and keep the simple raises "courtesy"? If opener is strong, you may still find the game in 5m after a 2NT bid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users