BBO Discussion Forums: Structure of bidding understanding notes - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Structure of bidding understanding notes

#1 User is offline   mghatiya 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-20, 10:18

[Sorry, I couldn't find any existing thread on this. If they are there, please point them to me]

I am working on building bidding notes with my partner and am wondering on what should be the best way to structure it.

I don't want it to be limited to just uncontested auctions as is to be seen in notes most of the times. I also want to include details like "responses to overcalls", "when do we balance", "how do we manage when opps do takeout doubles", "Defense to multi" etc.

It would be good to see some examples to take inspiration from. Are some of the notes of experts public?

In best case, I could probably directly use the structure and replace the notes with our flavour wherever we have different understandings.

Please let me know if you know of such notes.

Thanks,
Mukesh

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-21, 11:08

Lots of system note sets here. For the purposes of "learning a structure" rather than "learning a system", bypass all the "pay to get" systems at the top and just look at the "Cool Bidding Systems" section. Note: if this ends up being a useful resource for you, why not buy one of his translations/compilations as a thank you?

An excellent example is Kokish-Kraft's K/S (note, PDF). As it says on Dan's page: "posted with express permission of authors". Note that this may be a *little* more detailed than you want to get - it's 300+ pages...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-21, 11:14

View Postmycroft, on 2016-November-21, 11:08, said:

Lots of system note sets here. For the purposes of "learning a structure" rather than "learning a system", bypass all the "pay to get" systems at the top and just look at the "Cool Bidding Systems" section. Note: if this ends up being a useful resource for you, why not buy one of his translations/compilations as a thank you?

An excellent example is Kokish-Kraft's K/S (note, PDF). As it says on Dan's page: "posted with express permission of authors". Note that this may be a *little* more detailed than you want to get - it's 300+ pages...

The text-tree version is a clear example of a structure that's often used for this.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   mghatiya 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-23, 10:05

Thanks folks for the replies. Looks helpful on first glance. Will look through deeper and get back if these work.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-November-23, 10:10

I hate text trees - I just can't learn from them. They're good for reminders after I know them, but I need to see the explanations, and one bid at a time.

It seems that there are many many people for whom they work very well, however; please don't let my bias and my learning method interfere with your cataloguing.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-23, 10:43

I remember once picking up a booklet at a bridge tournament that was basically about 30-40 pages of checklists of bidding understandings. I can't find it now, though.

Maybe someone should do a similar thing now as a web site.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-November-23, 13:52

This one?

It's actually really nice (if out of print), as long as you're playing a standard (or 2/1) base.

Or this one? Sorry, I can't remember which book this is the appendix (and allowed for reproduction) for.

#8 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2016-November-24, 17:07

Where are the notes for what to do in competition which is what the OP was asking for?
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#9 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-26, 21:27

View Postmycroft, on 2016-November-23, 13:52, said:

This one?

It's actually really nice (if out of print), as long as you're playing a standard (or 2/1) base.

Or this one? Sorry, I can't remember which book this is the appendix (and allowed for reproduction) for.

Partnership Agreements, by Clarke Fairbrother.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users