• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which opening (or pass)

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-20, 08:45

Playing some "vanilla" 5cM and strong NT with a new partner (some kind of charity tournament), you deal all green and have:

KQ9xx
x
Kx
QTxxx

What would you do? I opted for a brave 1S after toying with a weak 2 but I had already done it 3 deals before with KJTxx x xxx KJxx and didn't want my unknown partner to think I'd do this all the time.

Auction follows 1S-2H (not GF), 2S-3C (semi-natural, GF). Now what?

If you passed, you would face a simpler 1H-1S, 2C-? And if you opened 2S, partner probably tried 3H but could also leave you there in a nightmarish contract...

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 08:56

View Postapollo1201, on 2016-November-20, 08:45, said:

Playing some "vanilla" 5cM and strong NT with a new partner (some kind of charity tournament), you deal all green and have:

KQ9xx
x
Kx
QTxxx

What would you do? I opted for a brave 1S after toying with a weak 2 but I had already done it 3 deals before with KJTxx x xxx KJxx and didn't want my unknown partner to think I'd do this all the time.

Auction follows 1S-2H (not GF), 2S-3C (semi-natural, GF). Now what?

If you passed, you would face a simpler 1H-1S, 2C-? And if you opened 2S, partner probably tried 3H but could also leave you there in a nightmarish contract...

Opening or not depends on your style. Just don't open weak 2. Either pass or open 1.
I personally open very light but I would not open with this. I paid way too much for opening with aceless and less than genuine values.

If I passed and pd opened 1 and rebid 2, I would make 4th suit forcing planning to follow by 3 unless he shows 3 card .
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 09:27

It's a pass for me.

Different story if you reverse the majors but I can (almost) never be shut out on the next round with this shape.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 09:31

pass...then 2d over 2c, no problem yet.

slam is still in the picture

#5 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-November-20, 09:37

Generally OK to pass when holding these values and shape with . Can always get back in with ease.
As others say, Pass then 2 is a great description of this hand.

Would consider 2 only in 3rd position after 2 passes. 1 in 1, 2 and 4.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 11:15

i'm normally relatively conservative with openers (pass the vast majority of balanced 11s and happily downgrade some 12s) but i'd open this, so i'm a bit surprised by the responses to date.

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-November-20, 13:07

Pass. Satisfies the rule of 20 but has only 1 1/2 QTs.

Change it to KQ9xx x xx KQ10xx and I'd have no problem opening it 1 .

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 14:12

I guess I open, but very marginal.

Playing with my favourite partner, this is an easy (Lucas Two) 2 spade opening.

#9 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 14:19

I am assuming this is matchpoints. Nobody vulnerable at matchpoints, I am willing to give up a bit of accuracy in game bidding in order to have a huge advantage of being the declaring side in a part score battle.where the 50's one side collects can hardly make up for a making part score. So I open 1S.

After 1S-2H-2S-3C (game forcing) I would bid 5C since I use the principle of fast arrival in game forcing auctions. I don't think that one diamond stopper is likely to hold up in notrump when I'm so unlikely to have nine runners. If partner was making a strong slam try in hearts or spades, I hope he has a hand so strong that he can make 5 opposite this; but I don't see a call that describes my hand better.

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 14:33

Seems marginal, but I agree with Kaitlyn - I'd open at MPs only.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#11 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-November-20, 16:02

yeah i'd open, don't consider it all that close really
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#12 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 16:24

I have:
  • A five loser hand
  • Some defence
  • A rebid
  • A good major suit

What am I missing from an opening bid?

One problem with passing is that you might get the auction 1H - 1S; 2C and now it's not clear that 2D is artificial and forcing (can a passed hand really force to game?). This is natural and encouraging for many pairs, and if I bid 2D I might just wind up playing it there.

#13 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 16:46

View Postsfi, on 2016-November-20, 16:24, said:

I have:
  • A five loser hand
  • Some defence
  • A rebid
  • A good major suit

What am I missing from an opening bid?
Quick tricks? While it meets the Rule of Twenty, it doesn't meet the rule of 20+2.

Plus, your rebid isn't all that awesome over 2 of a red suit, and partner isn't going to think too much of your defense if they have AKxx(x)

Also, the LTC has an ace/queen adjustment?

#14 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 17:13

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-20, 16:46, said:

Quick tricks? While it meets the Rule of Twenty, it doesn't meet the rule of 20+2.

Plus, your rebid isn't all that awesome over 2 of a red suit, and partner isn't going to think too much of your defense if they have AKxx(x)

Also, the LTC has an ace/queen adjustment?

Sorry, never heard of the rule of 20+2, but if it says I need 2 quick tricks to open it's simply misguided. It's easy to construct both balanced and unbalanced hands that are simply too good to pass.

This hand does have 1.5 quick tricks and a spare queen that isn't included in the count.

As to your other points:
  • I'm not sure the LTC would downgrade either of these queens, given they have supporting honours and are in a five card suit. Even so, 6 losers is enough to accept an invite, let alone open the bidding.
  • My rebid is exactly the same as any other 5/5 minimum opening hand would do, and partner will take that into account. After 2 of a red suit and 2S from me, I can bid 3C over 2NT or pass a rebid from partner. If partner bids clubs or raises spades I'm happy to take a shot at game. The only "bad" auction is 1S-2H; 2S-3D, where I have to bid 3NT. But it could easily be the right spot. Even if it isn't, there could easily be 9 tricks - they have to lead one of our suits after all.
  • If partner has AKxx(x) of clubs, I'm not seeing too many auctions where we defend without mentioning the club suit - particularly where the auction would have gone better had I passed. I'm sure there are some, but they seem a pretty small subset. I still have my 1.5 defensive tricks you weren't impressed by, and the spades have a fair chance of being two tricks if I got a chance to mention them and partner doubled quickly anyway.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 17:21

As I said, I do not mind people opening it. In fact there will be more people who opens this than not. And I am fine with it.
What I would hate is to open this hand weak 2. This is a crime for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-November-21, 05:40

With a regular partner ( we play Precision) either of us will NOT open this except in the 3rd seat.Change the club Q to K and we will open it in all positions.Playing standard system and irregular partner I shall open this at match points but think twice at IMP event.It is not wise (again my personal opinion) only to take rule of 20,LTC in isolation.Partner will count on you for two defensive tricks if the auction becomes competitive.

#17 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-21, 09:24

Easy 1

#18 User is offline   geoffff 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-21, 12:31

I would always open 1s with this. In my view, 2 would definitely indicate 6 cards and (taking the singleton into account) a weaker hand. I always look for what would be my second bid depending on what my partner responds.
There is a clear second bid - depending on systems used.
A pass might miss out on a valuable part-score, even if partner is weak.

#19 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-21, 15:58

This is a matter to discuss with your partner.

I would pass, both because (A) it's pretty easy to show this hand later on in most auctions and (B) if I open and partner has a 10-14 hand with no fit, we're going to get up too high.

Cheers,
Mike

#20 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-November-21, 18:22

I would pass. Depends on your partner. If pard aggressively doubles in contested auction, opening is insane. This hand will be a huge disappointment.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users