• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which opening (or pass)

#21 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-22, 01:02

Pass is an easy first bid for me. Unless partner expects me to open very light, it will be difficult to plus after opening. Hands that we can make 2 on will often end at 3 (after partner invites) or higher. My philosophy is to look for early opportunities to limit my hand, and passing hands like this is an easy way to accomplish that objective. If I open this, then my future bids will focus on limiting the potential damage. If the hand is not passed out, it will be easy for me to make stronger bids later without misleading partner.

#22 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-22, 05:25

View Postmiamijd, on 2016-November-21, 15:58, said:

This is a matter to discuss with your partner.

I would pass, both because (A) it's pretty easy to show this hand later on in most auctions and (B) if I open and partner has a 10-14 hand with no fit, we're going to get up too high.

Cheers,
Mike

It becomes much less easy to show when an opp opens his weak NT 1.

The only reason I can see for not opening is if I can't bid a natural and NF 2 over 1N.

#23 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-22, 08:39

I see nothing inherently wrong with the aggressive/light 1S opening; it meets the requirements of the Rule of 20. That said, there are some who believe it is better to open 1C with these 5 spade 5 club hands that are in the minimum opening range in order to reduce rebid problems (such as the one you experienced after the 2H response). On the other hand, opening 1S has the advantage of being more obstructive. For what it is worth, I am a 1S bidder too.

That said, I agree with your 2S rebid (provided it has not been agreed that it promises 6+ spades) because you do not have the values to support a high reverse rebid of 3C.

But, when partner now rebids 3C, I am perplexed as to why you see a problem! You have support and, when you have good support (and 5 card support headed by two honors most surely qualifies as VERY good if not excellent support), you absolutely MUST show your support. Bidding 4C is the obvious standout bid. I simply can't imagine what the problem is, was, or could have been.

#24 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-22, 18:17

View Postapollo1201, on 2016-November-20, 08:45, said:

Auction follows 1S-2H (not GF), 2S-3C (semi-natural, GF). Now what?

Caitlynne said:

Bidding 4C is the obvious standout bid. I simply can't imagine what the problem is, was, or could have been.

If I were to open this, I'd bid 5 over partner's rebid, not 4. What on earth would make me want to encourage slam?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users