BBO Discussion Forums: Suggesting "Claim" to partner - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggesting "Claim" to partner (when I'm dummy)

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-19, 11:57

Is this always considered 'bad form'?
I'm beginning to think so.
Just missed a laydown 7NT. 13 top tricks were obvious at trick 1, so, as dummy, I suggested the claim straight away. This may have put off my partner, who instead decided to play out all the cards, then misclicked at trick 11 and went down. :( :( :(
I blame myself more than I blame partner. Should I just have kept silent? Laydown grands don't often come my way, it's hard not to make some sort of comment!

#2 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 12:37

Haven't you asked this before?

Yes - it's not just bad form, it's illegal for dummy to interfere in the play in any way.

#3 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 13:05

Well in that case, perhaps the chatline could be done away with altogether? :angry:

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-19, 13:09

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-November-19, 13:05, said:

Well in that case, perhaps the chatline could be done away with altogether? :angry:

It is used for other reasons than just for dummy to prompt declarer and it would be a shame to deny the user-base the opportunity to use the chat bar for its intended purpose just to protect against dummy prompting declarer.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 19:17

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-November-19, 13:05, said:

Seriously? You want to do away with all pleasantries simply because you can't keep quiet?

Honestly when I started playing on BBO when I was beginner having my partner tell me to "claim" was one of the most annoying things ever - particularly as often it was not a claim situation. Even if you could see your partner's cards at the bridge table in real life telling them to claim would as mentioned above be rude and moreover illegal. Don't do this.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#6 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-20, 04:17

There is such a thing as having one's expression of annoyance taken too literally! :blink:

Whatever my 'offence' may be, it happens all the time - and in the more 'serious' MBC as well as in the 'friendly' Acol Club. And people are much ruder to each other in the former. And much quicker to take offence. How about getting real?

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-21, 11:23

It may happen all the time; try to roll with it when you're defending, "please let me play my hands" as declarer (and, if it is unrepentant, "you want to play my hands, too? Okay, go ahead. My apologies, opponents." and leave), and faire le mort as dummy ("le mort" in French - much better term).

It was so much of a problem that BBO removed the ability for dummy to see all four hands, because they would announce "claim" as soon as they could see that it would work - so, the trumps are breaking, the J is dropping, whatever.

As others are saying, it's not "offensive", it's illegal. Even if it's a friendly game, minimising the illegal things happening that can cause offense (and telling me "I'm smarter than you are" - which is what dummy's claims are doing (even if that isn't their intent) - can cause offense) is a good way to keep it friendly.

On another note, one of my partners asked me "do you think you're a better player than me?" "No, that's why I like playing with you." "Then why are you second-guessing my declarer play? You don't have enough stamina to play all 27 boards; so rest when you're dummy and save your energy for hands that count." The better I get, the less stamina I have, it seems - I still tune out when I'm dummy, and it's a recommendation I pass on to others.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-22, 02:56

View Postmycroft, on 2016-November-21, 11:23, said:

It was so much of a problem that BBO removed the ability for dummy to see all four hands, because they would announce "claim" as soon as they could see that it would work - so, the trumps are breaking, the J is dropping, whatever.
To be honest, if that ability to 'see all four hands', as dummy, were reinstated, it would surely serve to shut a lot of dummies up! It would certainly shut me up. No-one welcomes being accused of cheating, and surely 'coaching' partner in any way under those circumstances would definitely count as cheating!

I personally think, as do many others, that cheating is rampant on BBO anyway, but I know better than to open my mouth!

Anyway, you guys know how to 'rub it in', don't you! I feel as angry with myself, as I do with that bit of ill luck. And I don't recall actually using the word 'claim' anyway. What I think I actually said, after pushing my partner to 7NT (partner was bemused, but I knew the two hands had 35 HCP between them, so I took the gamble), was "phew! laydown" once the opening lead had been played and I'd counted the tricks.

Send me to jail for that crime if you must! The prisons will be full to bursting-point with BBO'ers!

#9 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-22, 12:30

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-November-22, 02:56, said:

Anyway, you guys know how to 'rub it in', don't you!...Send me to jail for that crime if you must! The prisons will be full to bursting-point with BBO'ers!
Pete, a while back I took a wrong turn and stumbled into the BBO Water Cooler. Trust me, what is happening to you here is tame in comparison.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users