BBO Discussion Forums: MisBid or Misexplaination - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MisBid or Misexplaination

Poll: Misbid or misexplaination (14 member(s) have cast votes)

This was:

1. Misbid - results stand (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. Misexplaination - correction required (11 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-22, 17:04

I didn't mean "I don't care if it's legal"; I agree with you there. I was thinking more "I was taught this from someone who plays it for years, why should I even think to check if it's legal?"

And why would you? Well, not you, nor me, nor barmar...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-23, 10:20

View Postmycroft, on 2016-November-22, 17:04, said:

I didn't mean "I don't care if it's legal"; I agree with you there. I was thinking more "I was taught this from someone who plays it for years, why should I even think to check if it's legal?"

And why would you? Well, not you, nor me, nor barmar...

I'm not sure even I would bother to check.

I've been spending the past couple of weeks exchanging emails with some people I'm going to play with in Orlando, working on our convention cards. They've each taught me some new conventions and treatments that I agreed to play, and I never bothered to check the GCC to see if they're OK. I just assumed that if an experienced player passes on a method they've been playing with other partners that they know what they're doing.

I've read the GCC enough times to have a general feeling for the kinds of things it allows and prohibits, and nothing struck me as likely to be illegal.

#23 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2016-November-23, 11:02

Checking the legality of systems in much easier under many other regulatory authorities where only opening bids and overcalls are subject to regulation.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#24 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-23, 13:40

Yes, it is. But note that only "the first round of bidding" (counting pre-opening passes as "before") isn't much more of a problem. Sure, it doubles the regulated calls, but doesn't really double the ones that you would worry wouldn't be allowed (especially given "allowed: anything after a conventional call by opponents").

Also, if responses and advances are intended to be regulated (because "we don't want the LOLs to have to play against transfer-walsh, or 1M-1NT showing "any INV+ that can't place the contract", or "unpassed hand Drury", or...), then while it might be easier to *use*, it doesn't solve the regulators' problem. And the ACBL, for reasons it thinks are good, believes that it is in their interest to do that.

Having said that, here we have an overcall. Even if you got your wish, it doesn't help.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-23, 15:36

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-23, 10:20, said:

I've read the GCC enough times to have a general feeling for the kinds of things it allows and prohibits, and nothing struck me as likely to be illegal.

You have an advantage, then, over those who have never read the damn thing. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users