• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does this auction show ?

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-19, 03:38

Describe what you expect from the E hand, EW would not play 2N as artificial from W when he bid 3

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-November-19, 03:41

a huge hand with spades
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-November-19, 05:23

View Posteagles123, on 2016-November-19, 03:41, said:

a huge hand with spades

How huge, and what do you do as W with:

x, K97x, xxx, K9xxx

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 05:25

To be honest, this is a very ridiculous auction and I do not know why are you asking us to make a sense out of this nonsense?

West's actions does not make any sense whatsoever. Did he think if he bid 2 over redouble that will show strength? What made him bid a free 3 over 2 now that he could not do over redouble?
If E has a monster balanced hand, why is he still keep bidding on when it is obvious that partner is broke?
If East has a big hand with spades, why did he not start 2 over 1 ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-November-19, 05:25

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-November-19, 05:23, said:

How huge, and what do you do as W with:

x, K97x, xxx, K9xxx

W can not have this hand.
I am looking at the forum and still see it is in I/A and not B/N forums.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-November-19, 05:39

I posted this here for the reason that this is the poll for a directorial. I was S. Opps were around the boundary between the two forums.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-November-19, 06:20

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-November-19, 05:39, said:

I posted this here for the reason that this is the poll for a directorial. I was S. Opps were around the boundary between the two forums.

I did not see any poll.
You asked us what E is likely to hold.
If your intention was to figure what W would do without UI with the hand you gave for W, at his level I would think my pd doubled so he has opening values, he did not like my clubs and wants to play spades, since one of the opponents opened and other one redoubled they must have at least 20 hcp which makes my pd hold about 14-15 hcp, so I would pass I guess.

Editted AI to UI.

#8 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-19, 06:54

Actually the auction makes little sense,as Mr Ace says.Is the system 2/1 with 5c major? Is weaker than pass is below opening hand?If so then East may be 17ish with suit & some.Now whatever West bid (3nt?) is a gamble.Pass.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-November-19, 08:53

View Postalok c, on 2016-November-19, 06:54, said:

Actually the auction makes little sense,as Mr Ace says.Is the system 2/1 with 5c major? Is weaker than pass is below opening hand?If so then East may be 17ish with suit & some.Now whatever West bid (3nt?) is a gamble.Pass.

System is Acol 4M.

There was lots of UI as to what the hand actually was, hesitations and questions, so I was trying to find out what people thought it showed without them.

Any bid now is dialling a number, with the UI pass was very obvious.

Another possible interpretation is that partner has doubled hearts for T/O and spades for T/O, so is looking for 3N with a big 4144/4135/4153 with 3, do I have a heart stop ? This would make sense for example if my partner had psyched (more likely if he'd been in third seat).

#10 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 09:34

what was the East hand lol
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#11 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 09:34

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-November-19, 10:36

View Posteagles123, on 2016-November-19, 09:34, said:

A 1 overcall for anybody with a brain unless playing IJOs which they weren't, 3 was -2 with anything higher being doubled.

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 11:12

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-November-19, 05:23, said:

what do you do as W with:

x, K97x, xxx, K9xxx

The first thing I do is a massive facepalm for not having bid 2 over the redouble.

Then I'll bid 3nt and grab a handful of pass cards.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-November-19, 11:18

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-November-19, 11:12, said:

The first thing I do is a massive facepalm for not having bid 2 over the redouble.

Then I'll bid 3nt and grab a handful of pass cards.

I thought this was in the frame, in which case you hear p-p-x-p-p-4-X-p-p-p 300-500 depending on how you play it

#15 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 11:48

I get the feeling that this is just classic B/I bad bidding

if E did have an IJO in spades, then no doubt the thought process was along the lines of, "I have too much to overcall 1S so I'll double... ah ***** THEY bid 1s panic panic guess I'll double again...well maybe I should show my spades now 3S

in my experience this standard of player will double then bid rather than overcall on hands which are way too weak - in the same way that they'll often open 2c on unsuitable hands as well.

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-November-19, 12:01

View Posteagles123, on 2016-November-19, 11:48, said:

I get the feeling that this is just classic B/I bad bidding

if E did have an IJO in spades, then no doubt the thought process was along the lines of, "I have too much to overcall 1S so I'll double... ah ***** THEY bid 1s panic panic guess I'll double again...well maybe I should show my spades now 3S

in my experience this standard of player will double then bid rather than overcall on hands which are way too weak - in the same way that they'll often open 2c on unsuitable hands as well.

Yeah but the mass of hesitations and asking whether 1 was natural (who doesn't play it natural here ?) made clear that partner was going to take the bid as spades.

#17 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 12:58

View PostMrAce, on 2016-November-19, 05:25, said:

To be honest, this is a very ridiculous auction and I do not know why are you asking us to make a sense out of this nonsense?

West's actions does not make any sense whatsoever. Did he think if he bid 2 over redouble that will show strength? What made him bid a free 3 over 2 now that he could not do over redouble?
If E has a monster balanced hand, why is he still keep bidding on when it is obvious that partner is broke?
If East has a big hand with spades, why did he not start 2 over 1 ?

the auction's not ridiculous in itself. passing the redouble then making a free bid show an invitational hand, i.e. one too strong to bid x clubs originally (2 not showing values and 3 being a pre-empt). people occasionally psyche the redouble - i did it a couple of weeks ago.

#18 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-November-20, 09:45

Assuming there are no bidding errors (I know, I know):
1 could very well be 4=4 majors and 2 is a simple 3-card limit raise.
The first Double is takeout, the second is penalty.
Suspect intervenor to have 5=1=(43) or similar with 2 cards better than opening bid.
3 might be the old treatment that one passes first with strength and bids later.
3 says good suit and possibly exposing a psyche by opener.

Cannot see a hand with enough to bid at 3-level that woudl ever pass the XX. Indeed with inv+ values and in 4th seat, perhaps a 2 cuebid can alert partner to the hoax XX.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-November-20, 10:16

View PostSteveMoe, on 2016-November-20, 09:45, said:

Assuming there are no bidding errors (I know, I know):
1 could very well be 4=4 majors and 2 is a simple 3-card limit raise.

Nope, weak no trump and no 4441s opened 1

The first Double is takeout, the second is penalty.

Do you know this immediately ? or only after the 3 bid am I not allowed to double again with a 31(45)/3055/40(45)/4144 big hand

#20 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-November-20, 18:22

1 weaker than pass. What does that mean?
I think 1 should show shape, meaning 4 spades and 5+ hearts. Promises no extras HCP. But also does not deny extra HCP.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users