Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play Time

#1 User is offline   full timer 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-18, 19:39

Is there something that can be done to reduce the time that a player has to react to their turn either bidding or play.
Many times a player will take, what seems forever, to play. I have noticed that it usually the player that is the host.
Could the time limit be reduced to 15 seconds and the player removed from the table.
Has anyone else observed this??

Jerry

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-18, 23:59

In live bridge, the ACBL standard is 7.5 minutes per hand. Considering the last few tricks tend to be played quickly, this means that players are frequently taking a minute or two to make tough decisions.

Top level bridge often sees pauses of several minutes as a player tries to analyze a complicated situation in his or her head. There are well-known instances of someone taking half an hour for a play.

In fact, generally, in live bridge, it is considered rude not to pause for at least 15 seconds (and, at higher levels, more like a minute) when dummy comes down, because third hand should be given a chance to count out the hand and plan the defense without his or her tempo on the first trick giving away information.

Take your time to think about the play and you'll play better too.

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-19, 04:17

Host your own table and then you can boot anybody who takes too long. Are you playing speed bridge? 15 seconds isn't too long if you have a real decision to make, although 15 seconds for just following suit or making automatic bids (e.g. most opening bids and responses, responses to Stayman, transfers and responses) is probably excessive if it happens most of the time. You can't boot the host so let your fingers do the walking and self-boot yourself to a faster table.

#4 User is offline   full timer 

• Pip

Posted 2016-November-25, 19:43

I was refereing to the time taken primarly during the 1st and 2nd round of bidding. I understand the taking of time during play. That was not the issue that I was raising.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-25, 23:07

Is this question intended specifically about BBO? It was posted in General Bridge Discussion, which is supposed to be for discussion about both face-to-face and online bridge, not Suggestons for the Software.

#6 User is offline   full timer 

• Pip

Posted 2016-November-26, 22:47

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-25, 23:07, said:

Is this question intended specifically about BBO? It was posted in General Bridge Discussion, which is supposed to be for discussion about both face-to-face and online bridge, not Suggestons for the Software.

Yes - It is intended for "software" issues. This is my first time on the discussion page. I was not aware of the topic that you mentioned. Now i know!!!

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-27, 09:57

I've seen slow bidding/play, looked at the players profile and assumed connex problems from Botswana or wherever.

As long as they are decent about making/accepting claims and catching up they deserve a break that auto booting after 15 seconds won't provide.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users