BBO Discussion Forums: Balanced constructive 2M openings - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Balanced constructive 2M openings

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-17, 07:26

PrecisionL posted somewhere that he plays (or played?) an opening bid of 2M as a five card suit with 10-14 hcp and no singleton/void; so 5332 or 5422 (I would guess that it denies 5M4OM). I think this is an interesting style since it removes the weak NT type from the 1M openings. I believe Bailey Two Bids are similar, but weaker (about 9-11 with 5+ major) and more shapes (could be 6322, 63(31) and (53)(41)).

Have anyone else tried this style, and if so what are your experiences?

#2 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2016-November-17, 08:41

Yes, I still play them and have for 15 years with good results in pairs and team events. Also playing Bailey 2-bids in one partnership. My Houston Precision partner introduced them to me in the 90s and played them against Ron Anderson who called the director to the table several times since he was sure they weren't allowed in ACBL GCC events! Posted Image

The theory is that partner can double for penalty and the opponent's frequently don't compete, or get too high if they do compete.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-November-17, 17:55

There's something Bailey fanatics in my area and I play them occasionally.

They are ok at MPs. You get a lot of -50's against their partscore,because no one can balance. People just tend to pretend it's a weak two and get carted out, but you don't get as many penalties as you would like.

A good declarer will play the hand DD against a Bailey. It's fun to place jacks at T2.

I've had great results, but it's usually when a user abuses suit quality.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users