BBO Discussion Forums: Protecting Trump Properties Abroad - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Protecting Trump Properties Abroad What should be the US role?

#1 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-November-15, 07:36

We now have a situation in which the president-elect of the US owns highly-visible properties around the world. All of these properties are now prime targets for terrorism, and the owner will soon become the commander-in-chief of the US military. How should Trump react when these targets are attacked? How will he react?

In local discussions before the election, this was a serious topic, as I expect that it was most everywhere. A couple of my staunch republican friends did not vote for Trump simply because they could not come up with a satisfactory answer to these questions. (I wasn't going to vote for him in any case.)

We have some posters here who did vote for Trump, and I'm wondering how they resolved these issues personally.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-15, 09:51

How many of these properties with the Trump name of them are actually owned by Trump? My understanding is that he's mostly sold his real estate business, and he just licenses his name these days.

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-15, 09:51

There are other conflicts of interests that I am more worried about.
Just consider that Trump owes Deutsche Bank probably about 300 million dollars (would have been nice to see tax returns and know such things for certain!). Deutsche Bank owes the US government a fine of potentially 14 trillion dollars for actions prior to the 2008 mortgage crisis.

During the last week, shares of Deutsche Bank rose from 12.9 to 15.3. Since news broke about the potential fine on September 15, it had never been higher than 13.4.

But yeah, Trump is going to #draintheswamp and stick it to the bankiers!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:07

Trump says he's going to hand over the reins of his businesses to his kids. But they've also been very active in his campaign, so I can't imagine them being out of the loop during his presidency.

POTUS generally puts his finances in a blind trust, which is supposed to mitigate the conflicts of interest. But how much does this really help? It's not like he forgets what he owned, or that the trustees are going to completely revamp the portfolio (although I heard that he's exempt from capital gains tax when doing this, so there's less of a disincentive).

#5 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:09

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-15, 09:51, said:

How many of these properties with the Trump name of them are actually owned by Trump? My understanding is that he's mostly sold his real estate business, and he just licenses his name these days.

He still owns many buildings and businesses, and his name is on many that he does not. But I don't think that the terrorists really care who actually owns a building bearing a Trump name -- they are all targets. Do you suppose that Trump will react differently depending upon whether he actually owns a building that is attacked or whether he's just licensed his name? Won't he be concerned that the value of his brand will crater because of the increased danger of terrorist attacks?

Map
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-15, 10:15

View Postcherdano, on 2016-November-15, 09:51, said:

There are other conflicts of interests that I am more worried about.
Just consider that Trump owes Deutsche Bank probably about 300 million dollars (would have been nice to see tax returns and know such things for certain!). Deutsche Bank owes the US government a fine of potentially 14 trillion dollars for actions prior to the 2008 mortgage crisis.

During the last week, shares of Deutsche Bank rose from 12.9 to 15.3. Since news broke about the potential fine on September 15, it had never been higher than 13.4.

But yeah, Trump is going to #draintheswamp and stick it to the bankiers!

There are financial conflicts for sure, but I'm worried about what will happen if families start to lose young soldiers trying to protect Trump properties from terrorists. I don't know that will happen, but I'm concerned.

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-November-15, 13:54

This was written by Beatty Cohan, a licensed psychotherapist who states flatly that Trump hits all 9 of the DSM-5 criteria for pathological narcissism, and I think it is all anyone needs to know about Donald Trump and what he might do:

....A person who is arrogant, haughty, lacks empathy, has a sense of entitlement, requires excessive admiration and who is preoccupied with grandiosity can only look at issues and negotiations in terms of how it will affect him, how it will make him feel and how it will make him look. It is ALWAYS about him.

Secondly, countries' trials and tribulations internally and globally will always be secondary, when you have a true narcissist at the helm....

Mayo Clinic explains this personality disorder here.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-15, 14:23

I consider it important for a president to consider the effects of an action on others too. What benefits Trump might affect others very negatively.

#9 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-22, 17:11

How much control over Trump will Congress and the Senate have, in realistic terms?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users