• You cannot reply to this topic

2 clubs GF art or weak 2D responder defining strength

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-13, 08:57

This is a problem I was given by a friend as I don't play this:

Auction proceeds

2(standard acol 2 or 6-10 6)-2(any hand that would pass a weak 2)
2(GF hearts)-

Since responder can have say 0-14 here, how do you distinguish the various heart raises.

#2 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2016-November-13, 12:51

Similar to what you would if you are playing a 2!C(Strong) - 2!D(Waiting), likely using fast arrival, combined with Serious/Frivolous 3N + splinters on lvl 4.

#3 User is offline   newroad 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-13, 16:50

Hi Cyberyeti,

I basically agree with Phoenix214 (at least, if you come from a school where one usually bids 2 and gets out of the way of a strong 2 opener).

You don't really have a problem with heart raises per se. The place you might have an indirect problem is when you have a side suit with heart support - you'll somehow want to distinguish the strength of the hand and/or the quality of the side suit as well as show support - and the fact it could be a full-blooded "positive" (in normal 2 response terms) will complicate this.

I haven't played this method either (but coincidentally, have just started playing something which may, on occasion, exhibit similar issues). There are many ways your friend could try and handle the problem and I haven't thought any (let alone all) of them through. I think the main point is not to fight the chosen system. This means, agreeing what side suit bids then support mean - and dealing with the problem cases (e.g. if you decide new suit then support is strong, you may need to suppress the side suit with a weaker hand and just support directly).

Not sure that was a great help, but I hope at least a little.

Regards, Newroad

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-14, 06:06

If you like to play the 2=bust response to 2, you can also play it here. If responder is bust and opener has the weak variant while opps don't interfere (unlikely!), you are normally ok playing 2 undoubled. Maybe not at unfavourable but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The disadvantage is, of course, that you miss the natural (forcing?) 2 response.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-November-14, 07:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-November-14, 06:06, said:

If you like to play the 2=bust response to 2, you can also play it here. If responder is bust and opener has the weak variant while opps don't interfere (unlikely!), you are normally ok playing 2 undoubled. Maybe not at unfavourable but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The disadvantage is, of course, that you miss the natural (forcing?) 2 response.

And that you have to play 3X rather than 2X.

On the hand in question, partner had Jxxxx, 10xxx, xxxx, void

What does he bid over 2-2-2 ? he has a potentially very powerful hand, is it too good for 4 ? and if he bids something more constructive like 4 or 3 is partner going to take him for way too much ?

#6 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-14, 07:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-November-14, 06:06, said:

Over this kind of 2 opening, I believe that 2 should be artificial and forcing, and the 2NT response is forcing with hearts. This is also a nice method over a natural weak 2.

Over 2-2; 2 you could play 3 as a "second negative", while other rebids are somewhat positive. So, if raising hearts:

3 = 0-4, no ace
3 = 8+
4 = 5-7

If not playing the second negative, perhaps the 3 raise could be either very weak or "strong":

3 = 0-4 or 8+. Will bid 4 next time if 0-4.
4 = 5-7

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-November-14, 07:31

I would imagine the traditional:-

very weak: 2NT followed by bidding hearts
weak (no key card): 4
SI: 3 or splinter

...would be a reasonable starting point.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users