BBO Discussion Forums: ACBLscore - less rounds than planned - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACBLscore - less rounds than planned

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2016-November-06, 19:33

My apologies for this not being a laws question, but being a "director question" (in ACBL land using Bridgemates). I have searched the manuals for ACBLscore and Bridgemate and cannot find the answer. I suspect the answer to the two questions below may be identical or nearly identical.

QUESTION 1 - In the middle of a game, how do you adjust the movement to less rounds than planned due to some unforeseen circumstance? This typically means curtailing the game by one round, but could be more than one round. (Especially in a Howell movement, as described below.) And if using Bridgemates, does anything need to be done in the Bridgemate software (or, as I suspect, is it done automatically in the Bridgemate software?)

QUESTION 2 - if you know BEFORE the game starts you will play one or more rounds LESS than the movement you choose, how do you accommodate that? (Imagine as an example wanting to use 5-table 9x3 Howell guide cards which you want to play only the first 7 of 9 rounds on the table guide cards.)

Note that for your typical small Howell movements in ACBLscore (for example, 3 or 4 tables), the overall movement is different, including initial rounds, even if the only change you make is changing to a smaller number of rounds with identical number of tables. For example the regular 3-table, 5 round, 5 boards per round Howell is not the same as when you enter in ACBLscore a 3-table FOUR round 5 board per round Howell as shown below (NOTE THE FIRST ROUND IS NOT THE SAME IN THE TWO MOVEMENTS).

3 Table 5x5 Howell
1 2 3 4 5
Table NS EW Bd NS EW Bd NS EW Bd NS EW Bd NS EW Bd
1 6 1 1 6 2 6 6 3 11 6 4 16 6 5 21
2 4 3 6 5 4 11 1 5 6 2 1 11 3 2 21
3 2 5 16 3 1 16 4 2 1 5 3 1 1 4 21

3 Table 4x5 Howell
1 2 3 4
Table NS EW Bd NS EW Bd NS EW Bd NS EW Bd
1 6 1 1 6 2 6 6 3 11 6 4 16
2 3 4 6 4 1 11 1 2 16 2 3 1
3 5 2 11 5 3 16 4 5 1 1 5 6

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-06, 19:49

1. I am pretty sure that the simplest way is just to enter the missing rounds as "not played".

2. If you think there is a chance you will want to use a curtailed movem NT, put the movement into the scoring program beforehand.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2016-November-06, 20:11

The term is: 'Truncate'. Am pretty sure you can find it that way, and just push a couple buttons.

I haven't done it yet, but I know others have, without much difficulty.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2016-November-06, 21:21

View PostVampyr, on 2016-November-06, 19:49, said:

1. I am pretty sure that the simplest way is just to enter the missing rounds as "not played".

2. If you think there is a chance you will want to use a curtailed movem NT, put the movement into the scoring program beforehand.

On your second point, for example, how do you enter the first 7 rounds of a standard 9 round 9x3 5-table Howell? (If you initially select a 5 table Howell with 7 rounds, it won't match your table guide cards for a standard 5-table 9x3 Howell.)

It would be nice to be able to simply "chop off" one or more rounds of the movement in use. But I know of no way to do that in ACBLscore.

#5 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-06, 21:22

SET (F9 key) followed by 2 Change Number of Rounds Played

#6 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-06, 22:52

View Postchrism, on 2016-November-06, 21:22, said:

SET (F9 key) followed by 2 Change Number of Rounds Played

Thanks - top of page 45 of the ACBLscore manual - exactly what I was looking for. I should have been able to find that myself. i text searched the manual for "early", "shorten", "truncate", and "reduce". What WOULD have worked is "curtail"!

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-06, 23:05

You need a thesaurus. :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-November-07, 09:22

View PostBudH, on 2016-November-06, 21:21, said:

On your second point, for example, how do you enter the first 7 rounds of a standard 9 round 9x3 5-table Howell? (If you initially select a 5 table Howell with 7 rounds, it won't match your table guide cards for a standard 5-table 9x3 Howell.)

It would be nice to be able to simply "chop off" one or more rounds of the movement in use. But I know of no way to do that in ACBLscore.

Surely ACBLScore allows you to enter custom movements. And I an certain that you can easily print out new table slips, or even a pair guide for each pair. If you don't have a printer at your venue, just print them out at home and have them on hand.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-07, 10:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-November-06, 23:05, said:

You need a thesaurus. :-)

Indeed, my thesaurus (the one in OS X) actually has "curtail" listed as a synonym for "truncate". But you won't find it if you start from "shorten".

#10 User is offline   peterb001 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-07, 11:05

Hi Bud,

1) Although we don't use ACBLscore here, you can cancel the outstanding rounds in the Bridgemates software (but only once all of the results for the last round are in). For us, this automatically concludes the event in Scorebridge.

In the Bridgemate control software select the menu option Session, and the sub option ‘close rounds’. In that screen, update the round numbers to close rounds 1 to 9 (if that is correct). This will then close ALL outstanding boards in all of those rounds.
NOTE. I have been informed that the Bridgemates may need to be reset (through the TD menu) the next time that they are used.

2) We have various 3/4 Howell movements in our scoring program which are printed off, as for any specific evening we generally play a fixed number of boards, so we select an appropriate movement for that number of tables. The main advantages of using these are (apart from not having to cancel any rounds) that you have more sitting pairs, and there are fewer boards in play, so you also get a 'fairer' result as all pairs will play all boards (unless there is a sit out). This becomes even more important if you only have a few tables. In your 5 table scenario, with 9 rounds of 3 boards, some boards will only be played 3 or 4 times if you drop the last 2 rounds.

HTH

Peter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users