• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Support with flat almost yarb

#21 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-07, 06:41

I think that even if you play 3 as preemptive, this hand is too weak. Yes, it may keep opps out of game (or lift them into a not-making game) but then again, as Kaitlyn points out, it also gives away the fit.

I would be afraid that p bids 4, hoping for something useful, like a trump honour or singleton or maybe a useful queen.

I am not opposed to pass (which is obviously the normal call), but 1nt doesn't suggest quite as much playing strength for a spade contract as 3 does IMHO.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-07, 06:52

View PostGrahamJson, on 2016-November-07, 06:37, said:

I should add one caveat to my previous comments. If you are playing Bergan, and have an agreement that a raise does not show values, then I guess raising is ok.
I play Bergen. My raise to 3 is defined as "4 to 6 support points". Last time my partner made a preemptive raise, I had a powerful 1S opener and bid game and made it. I would not have made it opposite this hand.

#23 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-07, 09:58

The trouble with bidding here isn't so much getting doubled in a partscore (won't happen) as it is getting too high when partner has a good hand. You have the spade suit, so you aren't likely to be shut out if you pass and await developments.

Bidding 3S (preemptive) immediately shows at least a King more than you have. If partner has a good hand, he'll bid 4S, and now you have traded +110 or +140 for -100 or -200.

Bidding 2S or 1NT(f) have the same drawbacks. You are likely to exchange a plus score for a minus score.

Instead, just pass the first round to show weakness. If the hand gets passed out, great; you probably can't make 4S.

If the opponents come in, you can bid spades at (even at the three level if necessary) at your next turn. Partner will then have a good idea of your hand.

Cheers,
Mike

#24 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-09, 02:55

View Postplaur, on 2016-November-05, 10:28, said:

swiss teams all vul

What do you bid here and why?

Will you bid different if you play 4 card majors and 2NT as 10+ with sup?

psass no problem yet

#25 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-10, 09:16

Bidding a forcing 1NT with Gazzilli is OK. The advantage of 1NT, then giving preference to spades on possibly a doubleton, is that the opps may not know how good they are strength-wise, and that they do not have a known assumed fit.
A 3-bid (bergen or otherwise) is crazy.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users