Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A matchpoint hand

#1 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-04, 09:01

Mostly I just found this hand interesting. But I am also curious as to whether I should have done more. I am East. Matchpoints, all vul.

Explanations:
The 2C was a DONT bid showing clubs and something else, the 2D asked for the something else.
Since I was a passed hand I might have bid a natural but of course not game forcing 2C over 1D instead of 1NT.
My double of 2D was meant to show something like what I had: If pard wants to compete to 3D fine, if not I am happy with a D lead.

What happened:

2H is off one. Yes I think the 2C was aggressive but it's matchpoints and anyway I don't control their bidding.
We can make 3NT but it is pretty lucky I think. With the diamonds coming in there are eight tricks, the heart finesse is on, and if they attack spades, even froom the S hand, the spots are such that they can take only three tricks.
3D seems pretty easy, and in fact it looks as if 4 would be made. GIB agrees. The only pair that played in diamonds in fact made 5.

We have eight diamonds, they have eight hearts, LOTT says 16 tricks but, as is so often the case, LOTT is off by one. 10+7 = 17.

2HX down 1 is certainly better than 2H undoubled off 1 but I have no idea who would be doubling this, even at mps.

I am not particularly interested in apportioning blame here, but I thought the hand interesting and I invite comments.
Ken

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-04, 09:17

I think west owed you a 3 bid.

You are a passed hand and don't promise bupkas with the 1nt bid but the double of 2 should definitely show a pulse instead of just noise.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-04, 09:18

Your partner could have done more. I wd try 2S over 2H with his hand, after all you bid twice and I have 14HCP. On your side you could have bid 2C instead of 1NT but I prefer 1NT. I don't think you could have done more TBH, you bid twice, give it up.

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-04, 09:30

I would bid 3D with West's hand.

From your point of view, they might not have a fit so defending seems sensible, especially as partner didn't bid 3D.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-November-04, 09:36

Am I alone in thinking that West hand looks a lot like a 1NT opening? In the auction after 1, I am with Diana in wanting to bid 2 over 2 and think competing here is pretty much a no-brainer at MP even at these colours.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-04, 11:06

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-November-04, 09:36, said:

Am I alone in thinking that West hand looks a lot like a 1NT opening?

You are if you played with a partner as aggressive as mine where you are getting to a fast 3nt which is hardly a thing of beauty. Maybe with a couple of 109's in the right places...... Maybe dangerous playing opposite Ken.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-November-04, 11:34

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-November-04, 11:06, said:

You are if you played with a partner as aggressive as mine where you are getting to a fast 3nt which is hardly a thing of beauty. Maybe with a couple of 109's in the right places...... Maybe dangerous playing opposite Ken.

I would definitely raise a 1NT opening to 3NT. And it works, but thank the bridge gods for that 7,6 of spades.

Of course with the K743 in spades we would decline to open 1NT :)

This was not a regular partner, and I am fine with him opting for 1D when we have agreed 15-17 NT. I am also fine with him upgrading, if he had done so. I don't much second guess such choices. I just assume 15-17 and he has what he has. He will be playing it!

Ok, now that I look a little more closy, 3NT seems to come home even with K743 in W, A862 in N. Heart to Ace, spade Q ducked, spade J covered should do it.

And of course, realistically, the defense would go heart to the ace and heart back. Nine tricks.
Ken

#8 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-04, 11:48

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-November-04, 09:36, said:

Am I alone in thinking that West hand looks a lot like a 1NT opening?
No, you aren't. I almost mentioned it but I have a good rebid so I opted for 1D which might help me find 6D or 2D when either of those is right. Oddly, if you make my hand worse by moving a spade to hearts or clubs, I open 1NT without a qualm.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-November-04, 11:59

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-04, 11:48, said:

No, you aren't. I almost mentioned it but I have a good rebid so I opted for 1D which might help me find 6D or 2D when either of those is right. Oddly, if you make my hand worse by moving a spade to hearts or clubs, I open 1NT without a qualm.

I would certainly open your hand 1NT if playing 14-16. ;)
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#10 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2016-November-05, 02:03

Opposite a third seat opening bidding a third time is risky. Partner has a fairly prime 14 count - he could have a lot less. 1NT is right, although 2C would not be awful, and double shows exactly what you have - a max 1nt call, no major, honour 3rd in diamonds and, by the process of elimination, clubs.

Partner should do something more, be it double (although I think this sounds penaltyish), 2S or 3D.

#11 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-November-05, 08:11

View Postmr1303, on 2016-November-05, 02:03, said:

Opposite a third seat opening bidding a third time is risky. Partner has a fairly prime 14 count - he could have a lot less. 1NT is right, although 2C would not be awful, and double shows exactly what you have - a max 1nt call, no major, honour 3rd in diamonds and, by the process of elimination, clubs.

Partner should do something more, be it double (although I think this sounds penaltyish), 2S or 3D.

Nicely put. A few thoughts.

First a fantasy. +200 for 2HX off 1 would have been a good score. Not perfect sine there were two pairs in 3NT making. But a good score. But even at mps it seems like a fantasy. That vul 2C call with four clubs and four hearts was very aggressive. It worked, but it would not have been my choice even if I played DONT ni that position. Which I DONT.

As to third hand. I am pretty shy about a light third hand opening in a minor. Too often partner has a balanced hand just under an opener and he has an unsolvable problem 2NT is a good call if I opened on 14, but it will be a disaster if I opened light.
But I do think that it is close to a 2C call.

I had not thought about partner bidding 2S over the 2H bid, as mentioned by Diana, Zel, and you. It's possible. I think I wouldn't with the hand that he has. Of course it will go fine since I will get out of spades with my two card support. If I have, say, 3=2=3=5 shape it might be trickier. Playing in 2S might be right, but it would be good to have something better than K764 in the West hand. 2S is, of course, a suggestion to play it in spades if I have three spades. Maybe I should understand it to suggest spades if I have a good three card holding. We are going to be losing a lot of spade tricks if I have xxx. Given the DONT call, I would expect spades to be 4=2 at best.

I am pretty sure I would have bid 3D with partner's hand over 2H. +130 won't be great since many are in 1NT with +150. But I think it is my choice. +200 would be good, but as I said I think it is a fantasy.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users