BBO Discussion Forums: Windows client retirement feedback thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows client retirement feedback thread

#141 User is offline   filosofos 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-December-31, 20:04

Barmar, thank you for your reply.

I have to say, I still find the Windows client faster for logging in (almost instant) whereas the web version shows a series of dots moving left to right while it loads and then again while logging in. This lasts several seconds, sometimes longer. My browser and internet speed are good.

There is already a filter for the lobby on the Windows client. You can choose people from particular countries to see. This is handy as Acol is more commonly played in certain countries more than others. Therefore I don't have all that many people to scroll through.

Anyway, if I can't convince you, I guess I'll have to learn to live without the lobby. Thanks for your help in sorting out my other questions.

#142 User is offline   eamongall 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-January-02, 05:18

Good evening folks (or morning or afternoon) depending on your location

[b]When the Windows version of BBO is gone I don't think I can do the below setup.

Currently one of my main uses of BBO is for preparing online Bidding practice sessions for the Irish Open bridge team.
Several offshoots of this application follow for lesser players.
I generally focus on competitive/interference/pre-emptive bidding as life is easy when the opps are silent.
My friends main requirement in a bidding session is that the GIBS will interfere regularly so therefore I need deals where
the robot acts on many hands so I must pre test the deals to get best use of time.

The international players give me many scenarios that they would like to practice and I produce a session and then load
the hands into the account of the designated table server of the practicing pair.

Here is the brief description

1. Open a partnership bidding table on web based BBO using Malahide as my account
2. Generate the script to describe the scenario required and when happy we are ready to go
3. Open a Windows BBO using Eamongall to record the generated and tested deals
4. Generate and examine boards and it they seem suitable keep them and continue
5. Example if I see 1NT P P P ..I skip it
6. I end up with a file of 64 or less hands and save it as some relevant name
7. Later I will load the file into the various BBO accounts
8. the players will do their bidding practice in their own time

Problem

I don't think the Web Based BBO allows me any export function of any hand sets without major surgery
and time from me.
Currently 1 hour work will get me 2 sets of 64 tested hands for bidding practice sessions

The next web based BBO will allow me to only have the hands saved in my BBO account but I cannot easily
transfer them to other BBO accounts

Thanks
Eamon Galligan
Eamongall on BBO

#143 User is offline   BaldJean 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-January-09, 08:17

I am extremely disappointed that the Windows version of BBO will be retired on Feb 1st. I much prefer the Windows version because the graphics are so much superior to the graphics of the browser version.
To be a perfect member of a flock of sheep one first of all has to be a sheep. (Albert Einstein)

#144 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-09, 12:35

Many chinese players told me that in many cases, not easy to log into BBO by web BBO, but relatively easy to log into old version BBO.
This is a disappointing news.

#145 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-January-09, 19:10

View Postlycier, on 2017-January-09, 12:35, said:

Many chinese players told me that in many cases, not easy to log into BBO by web BBO, but relatively easy to log into old version BBO.
This is a disappointing news.

They should contact support@bridgebase.com to ask for help with logging into the web version. Don't wait until the last minute.

#146 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-10, 06:58

Ok, I did, thank you for your help.

#147 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-10, 08:48

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-09, 23:33, said:

Is space really at a premium? Modern PCs offer very high resolutions.

Apparently not high enough to allow for a decent display of the dummy! Not even as an option that can be turned off!!!
(-: Zel :-)

#148 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-10, 09:11

View PostOceanss, on 2016-December-07, 12:35, said:

In browser, when we are in any room, specifically some club, private or public, at top left we can choose to see 1) Open tables, 2) Full tables or 3) tables with friends. Altho, all very useful, it would be great if we could also see ALL tables currently open.

I also find the lack of an option for displaying all tables a significant disadvantage for club play.

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-30, 09:46, said:

There are thousands of players in the lobby, can you really effectively scan it looking for players with something specific in their profiles?

When I first found BBO I made the effort to filter the lobby list by country, selecting only those from the UK and constituent parts. I then marked suitable profiles as friends, which eventually led to my getting to know some folks on the site. I found this feature instantly gave BBO a friendlier feel than the other bridge sites I had tried that did not offer such a process for finding like-minded contacts.
(-: Zel :-)

#149 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-11, 17:34

listing at least all the friends is hugely useful for times of running tourneys, especially since the web version doesn't allow for members who offer to sub to be differentiated from the general public. I can see club members who have just logged in and ask if they are interested in subbing..usually they are. When we lose this feature we lose and the members lose as often they look around, don't see a game available that suits them so they go away. This way they get to play and we have a smoother running tourney.

That would be infinitely more useful than the fragments of conversation from other areas in BBO which take up a whole lot of space for no apparent purpose. If we must have clutter then please let it be useful clutter at least.

#150 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-12, 09:35

The web version does list all friends. Click on Who's Online and select the Friends tab.

#151 User is offline   johnjo42 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-January-15, 11:37

I am APPALLED at the decision to close the Windows version. I used the Web version for the first time today and discovered:

1. There is no way to delete the chat screen quickly (if at all). F6 key in Windows

2. Results are confusing. You have to click on a separate screen and then go to other tables to compare instead of a separate window and a straight forward traveller opening.

3. Sounds are limited to one. A single drum. With Windows version there are several options.

I'm sure there are many more.

This smacks of Microsoft's bullying everyone to change to Windows 10 whether they liked it or not. I refused and am happy with Windows 7 just as I am VERY happy with BBO Windows version. PLEASE think again.

JJ

#152 User is offline   johnjo42 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-January-15, 11:39

Also there is no way to see who is kibbing at your table.

Perhaps BBO will provide an easy comparison "How do I do this" guide between the two versions that we can print off.

#153 User is offline   johnjo42 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-January-15, 11:45

View Postfilosofos, on 2016-December-29, 20:20, said:

Hi

Would it be possible to address the following points in the web version, before asking us to switch to it?

They are not "asking us". They are forcing us to switch or forget BBO completely

#154 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-15, 11:56

View Postjohnjo42, on 2017-January-15, 11:37, said:

1. There is no way to delete the chat screen quickly (if at all). F6 key in Windows
Just curious, but why does that matter?

2. Results are confusing. You have to click on a separate screen and then go to other tables to compare instead of a separate window and a straight forward traveller opening.
I don't understand this complaint. Granted it is a long time since I have used the download client and memory of the comparison fades. But with the flash interface I have a results screen permanently open to the right of my playing area, with a tab on the top to alternate between my table and other tables. Still just one click to swap between them

3. Sounds are limited to one. A single drum. With Windows version there are several options.

You may have a point. Personally I choose just one option: Sound "Off" - same in both versions for me.
But this is certainly an area of common complaint. If they would just switch off the sound that is emitted on each card play, but left you the choice to have other sounds on (typically, those which remind you that it is your turn to do something) that would be an improvement.

I'm sure there are many more.
There had better be. Because if this is were the sum total of your cause for grievance it would be a pretty poor justification for being "APPALLED"
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#155 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-January-15, 11:57

View Postjohnjo42, on 2017-January-15, 11:39, said:

Simply not true
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#156 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-January-15, 12:00

I am APPALLED at the decision to close the Windows version. I used the Web version for the first time today and discovered:

This I think is the nub of the matter. You are producing a list of knee-jerk complaints within a day of trying the flash version. My suggestion would be, whether you like it or not, to force yourself to use the web version for maybe a month and THEN to trot out a list of grievances, some of which by then may have fallen by the wayside.

#157 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-15, 13:01

View Postjohnjo42, on 2017-January-15, 11:39, said:

Click on Who's Online on the far right, then select the Kibitzers tab.

#158 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-15, 15:58

This smacks of Microsoft's bullying everyone to change to Windows 10 whether they liked it or not. I refused and am happy with Windows 7 just as I am VERY happy with BBO Windows version.

The Windows 10 scenario is not even close to the BBO Web conversion. Obviously you didn't "have to" convert to Windows 10, you were given a choice to get a free "upgrade" to Windows 10 before a certain date, and after that date, would probably have to pay to upgrade.

#159 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-15, 16:03

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-January-15, 12:00, said:

This I think is the nub of the matter. You are producing a list of knee-jerk complaints within a day of trying the flash version. My suggestion would be, whether you like it or not, to force yourself to use the web version for maybe a month and THEN to trot out a list of grievances, some of which by then may have fallen by the wayside.

In fairness to johnjo42, there are hundreds (as demonstrated by posters in this thread and in posts and polls on Bridgewinners (plus the unknown number of users who don't participate either here or on BW) who have signficant issues with the Web version, many who have tried out the web version many times over a period of years.

#160 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-16, 09:42

View Postbarmar, on 2017-January-12, 09:35, said:

The web version does list all friends. Click on Who's Online and select the Friends tab.

ok, an example of what I mean. I have a lot of the regular IAC members on friend's list so I can access people I see are free to invite them if I need a sub for a tourney or team match. When I was on web version the other day there were precisely none showing, and when I clicked on Friends or follow, not a name came up. So I logged out and back in with Windows, and about 30 showed up instantly. It's difficult to imagine they all logged in in the two minutes it took for me to change from web to download. So I need to click on two tabs in two different places to find out what is showing automatically on download? That is a perfect, typical example of what drives me crazy about the web version.

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users