BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding Problems for I/N players Part 11 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Bidding Problems for I/N players Part 11 Visualizing partner's hand

#1 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-31, 23:00

An interesting point came up while the experts and I were discussing problem set 10.

I might also point out that Kaitlyn's reasoning on (3) is already beyond the mental capacity of most bridge players, who simply don't have the ability to imagine possible cards for partner and what contracts would be made with those possibilities. They don't have enough working memory to think that far ahead.

I'd like to test that hypothesis. I am going to give you some problems, and if you just count points, you are going to fail miserably. Try to think of what partner has.

These examples are far-fetched, but the principles involved do come from time to time. I think I've put them in order of difficulty.

(Normal introduction starts here)
Hi - these problems should be very easy for experienced players but an I/N player needs to think about the right things in an auction. If you get them wrong, don't feel too bad as long as you understand the rationale for the answers. I'll provide the answers later but I'll put a hint as a spoiler. Try to solve the problem without the spoiler. Also, let me know if you would be interested in seeing more of these from time to time.

Assume you are playing Standard American (a natural system with 15-17 1NT openings and 5-card majors), IMPS, and nobody is vulnerable.

Spoiler

2NT=20-21

Spoiler

2D = weak 2 (5-10HCP, decent 6 card diamond suit; 2S = forcing; 3H = denying spade support, maximum weak two, heart feature (A,K, or Q))
Spoiler

2C = strong and artificial; 2S = 5 or more spades including 2 of the top 3 honors
4NT=normal Blackwood; 5D=one ace
If your agreement is to play Roman Keycard, partner showed two key cards and no queen of trump
Do you agree with 4NT? What do you bid now?
Spoiler

Second hint:
Spoiler

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-01, 04:43

Hand 1.
Spoiler

Hand 2.
Spoiler

Hand 3.
Spoiler

Hand 4.
Spoiler

Hand 5.
Spoiler

#3 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-01, 10:26

The following discussion (this post) is not intended for novices.

View PostTramticket, on 2016-November-01, 04:43, said:

Hand 1.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Not surprisingly, Tramticket is 5 for 5... :)

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-01, 21:18

Answers: (More advanced stuff in blue)

Hint: How many clubs will you lose? How many diamonds will you lose? etc.

Answer: If hearts are trump, you won't lose any clubs or spades because your dummy will trump. Partner showed at least five hearts with his 2H overcall. The opponents have at most one trump and your ace will drop it. You have no heart losers. Diamonds? If partner has three or less, he can trump your small diamonds. If partner has four or more diamonds, the opponents have at most three and they will fall under your top three diamonds, so you won't lose any diamonds either.

Since you can't lose any tricks if hearts are trump, bid 7H.

Tramticket's point was that the opponents might not let you play 7H, since they can bid 7S. Most weak opponents won't do this, and if you are a novice, a good player might not also, assuming that you are taking a dangerous flyer. However, if you think it's really likely that the opponents will keep bidding up to 6S but not 7S, you may in theory enhance your chances of being allowed to play in hearts. The downside is that any decent player will know that if you, and only you, are bidding more hearts all the way to the seven level, they should realize what you are doing and bid 7S. Bidding slow gives both the opponents to bid more spades, whereas bidding 7H now means that one or the other opponent must take the plunge right now. Full credit to anyone who knew they could make a grand slam in hearts.

It is dangerous to bid 4NT hoping to find two aces to bid 7NT, and then bailing in 7H when missing an ace. Partner may think his one ace was all you were looking for and correct to 7NT.

2NT=20-21

Hint: What will you make if partner has three aces?

Answer: Partner should have at least two hearts, so once again, the opponents have at most one heart and it will drop under the ace. The number of aces partner has will tell you what you can make. Bid 4C, Gerber, asking partner how many aces he has. (4NT is not Blackwood; it is quantitative and can be passed.) When partner tells you how many aces he has, bid the appropriate number of hearts. Don't bid 7NT if partner shows all three aces; if partner has a doubleton QJ, his second honor will block the suit after you drop the opponents' singleton king.

I wouldn't worry about the new ACBL regulation allowing partner to open notrump with a singleton honor. First, if it's the king, you can drop the QJ in one hand. For you to go down, partner will have had to open 2NT on a singleton queen, and hearts will have to be 2-0. Partner will almost always have a better bidding plan than opening 2NT with a singleton heart.

2D = weak 2 (5-10HCP, decent 6 card diamond suit; 2S = forcing; 3H = denying spade support, maximum weak two, heart feature (A,K, or Q))
Hint: How many clubs will you lose? How many diamond will you lose? etc.

Answer: Since partner has no spade support, you'll lose no spades, having the AK yourself.
Partner's heart feature must be the K which means you have no heart losers.
Your singleton club means one club loser since partner can trump any other clubs in your hand.
If partner has the A, they are likely to split 2-1 even when partner doesn't have the queen. Partner is very likely to have that A but it doesn't hurt to check for it using Blackwood. Bid 6D if partner shows an ace.

2C = strong and artificial; 2S = 5 or more spades including 2 of the top 3 honors
4NT=normal Blackwood; 5D=one ace
If your agreement is to play Roman Keycard, partner showed two key cards and no queen of trump
Do you agree with 4NT? What do you bid now?
Hint: How many tricks do you have?
Second hint: Does it matter who plays the hand?

Answer: Don't count points, count tricks! Your partner showed 5 spades with 2 of the top 3 honors; if you don't know which honors those are, I would suggest taking up another game. Partner has AKxxx which will produce 5 tricks (barring a very unlikely 5-0 split with partner not having either the 10 or a well-placed 9.) You have 6 heart tricks. You have 1 club trick. That's 12 tricks. Your only loser will be the A.

However, if you play in spades, your right hand opponent is on lead and might lead a diamond through your K. Protect theK by playing the hand yourself. Bid 6NT.

You should agree with 4NT since the only thing that matters is whether partner has the A to give you 13 tricks.

Bonus question: Would you bid any differently in rubber bridge?

Spoiler

Hint: What has partner got? How many tricks do you expect to lose in each suit?

Answer: The opponents have shown 8 hearts and you have the other 5. Partner is void in hearts. Assume partner doesn't have spade support so he has at least 11 cards in clubs and diamonds, giving him at least 6 clubs if he bid his longest suit.

I should have 5 spade tricks and 6 club tricks if partner has the A. If partner doesn't also have the A, two hearts can be trumped in dummy to give 13 tricks as long as partner's clubs are good enough to ruff with my queen and still not lose any club tricks.

Give yourself full credit for bidding 6C (or 7C.) While I expect 7C to make, it may not, and you will usually pick up IMPs or most of the matchpoints for bidding and making 6C on this hand. If you want to ask for aces and bid 7C if partner has two, fine, but it would really be a shame if your partner thinks he has extra values and corrects to 7NT, so the bid isn't totally safe.

#5 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-02, 06:43

On (5) - I am a little worried that 2H might have been on xx Kx QJxxx xxxx, giving partner a singleton heart and RHO 5 spades.

In an experienced partnership, I'm proceeding slowly, starting with 3H.

#6 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-02, 10:43

View Postakwoo, on 2016-November-02, 06:43, said:

On (5) - I am a little worried that 2H might have been on xx Kx QJxxx xxxx, giving partner a singleton heart and RHO 5 spades.

In an experienced partnership, I'm proceeding slowly, starting with 3H.
RHO has 5 spades and not 6 hearts and opened 1H?

However, another reason to give full credit to 6C - to cover the "stuff happens" cases.

If you start with 3 hearts, are you going to be able to sort out both whether partner is void in hearts and whether partner's clubs can withstand two ruffs in your hand (AJxxxx or Axxxxxx)?

#7 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2016-November-17, 04:10

Hand 1:
South may deceive opponent with fit jump or splinter, where both are the reverse description of the actual hand.

#8 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-17, 12:15

View PostMinorKid, on 2016-November-17, 04:10, said:

Hand 1:
South may deceive opponent with fit jump or splinter, where both are the reverse description of the actual hand.
True. Could be a good plan although when you later bid 7H out of the blue, the opponents should wake up.

I suspect that many of the readers for which this column is intended would not play 4D as a splinter and almost none of them would play 4C as a fit-showing jump (and certainly very few pairs at any level would play both :lol: )

Also, since I'm talking to I/N's, even if they did have the agreement, they probably discussed it a long time ago and it has never come up, and it would be a da*n shame to play your cold grand slam in 4 of a minor :D

#9 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2016-November-18, 01:04

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-17, 12:15, said:

True. Could be a good plan although when you later bid 7H out of the blue, the opponents should wake up.

I suspect that many of the readers for which this column is intended would not play 4D as a splinter and almost none of them would play 4C as a fit-showing jump (and certainly very few pairs at any level would play both :lol: )

Also, since I'm talking to I/N's, even if they did have the agreement, they probably discussed it a long time ago and it has never come up, and it would be a da*n shame to play your cold grand slam in 4 of a minor :D

With the false fit jump ,the opponent would have to plunge based on false info.

On the other hand, I do not object south going 7 via a blackwood bid. He need to know if there is 7NT available. I dont think north will plunge 7NT over 7 himself not even on our own 7.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users