BBO Discussion Forums: 'please don't use abusive language' - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'please don't use abusive language'

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-29, 12:41

can't this be turned off for private messages between people who are mutually BBO following, i.e. friends?

i don't think it's bbo's job to tell me how to communicate with people with whom i have real life relationships.

i suspect because the staff are largely american, the bar is set quite low in terms of what gets filtered.

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-October-29, 13:17

Having this ridiculous swear filter turned off when 2 friends are partners is a really great idea imo
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-30, 03:11

Simple question. "Why?"

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-30, 04:13

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-October-30, 03:11, said:

Simple question. "Why?"

because in real life i don't talk to my friends in a manner which would be permitted by bbo. perhaps you employ a different lexicon to me. that's fine, but if my friends and i happily engage in a more coarse discussion in a private setting (and you can't get any more private than a private message), is it anyone else's business?

#5 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-30, 06:47

Excuse me, but it is everyone's business. In my experience, people who use profane language in talking to their 'friends', also use profane language in talking to other people at large. Indeed, someone used a very abusive word in a private chat message to me, the other day (posted about elsewhere - and reported to the abuse@bridgebase hotline). Was this individual one of your so-called 'friends', I wonder?

I didn't even know there was a swear filter in the chatline, but if so, it's there for a reason. It stays. End of.

Anyway, fear not: you're going on my Ignore list henceforth, so you needn't be troubled by any further comments of mine, on your posts.

View Posteagles123, on 2016-October-29, 13:17, said:

Having this ridiculous swear filter turned off when 2 friends are partners is a really great idea imo
I thought partners were not allowed to chat to each other privately, when at play.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-30, 06:54

wank is right that the filter should not affect private chat between mutual friends. Pete, you're wrong to assume that is one swears in private with friends they'll do it with non-friends too. I also use bad language with close friends and never do it in public. I'm pretty sure other people do so, and one's private jokes aren't anyone else's business.

We'll try to improve things, but it's not very high prio and this filter will not get much smarter in the near future.

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-30, 07:26

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-October-30, 06:47, said:

Anyway, fear not: you're going on my Ignore list henceforth, so you needn't be troubled by any further comments of mine, on your posts.

Wow. Overreact much?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-30, 09:49

i learned yesterday that not only f uck is filtered, but also fvck.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-30, 17:15

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-October-30, 06:47, said:

Excuse me, but it is everyone's business. In my experience, people who use profane language in talking to their 'friends', also use profane language in talking to other people at large. Indeed, someone used a very abusive word in a private chat message to me, the other day (posted about elsewhere - and reported to the abuse@bridgebase hotline). Was this individual one of your so-called 'friends', I wonder?

I didn't even know there was a swear filter in the chatline, but if so, it's there for a reason. It stays. End of.

I thought partners were not allowed to chat to each other privately, when at play.

i'm curious which other behaviour you'd like to ban people from doing in the privacy of their own wherevers because they can't be trusted not to do the same in other settings.

sadly you won't be reading this to reply.

#10 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-30, 17:30

View Postwank, on 2016-October-30, 17:15, said:

i'm curious which other behaviour you'd like to ban people from doing in the privacy of their own wherevers because they can't be trusted not to do the same in other settings.

sadly you won't be reading this to reply.
Yes he will, I want to see his reply also :D

#11 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 04:34

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-October-30, 17:30, said:

Yes he will, I want to see his reply also :D

Well. Seeing as you've revealed to me what I chose to 'hide', I suppose I'd better reply to you at least, for two reasons (1) you asked me to, and (2) I have more respect for you. :rolleyes:

Believe me, I know perfectly well from my own experience that the habit of swearing proliferates, with some people. Maybe it doesn't apply to the person whom I censured, above: I just don't know about specific individuals. I was generalising. Is that always wrong?

The one example which I was the 'victim' of, here on BBO, actually rather upset me. It was right 'out of the blue'. And I think that the perpetrator, if questioned about it, might very well plead "I only swear to my friends". Let him try it on! I am not his friend!

Say I'm wrong if you like. I suppose people will never agree on all this.

As to my decision to manage 'ignores', well that's a personal matter. Perhaps I shouldn't have made it public, but I was mightily angry when I posted. I'm not the only one!

Finally, if people really want to include profanities, surely there are easy ways around it! Just write "f***" or whatever takes your mood. FFS!! :lol:

#12 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 05:17

There are many kinds of utterances that annoy me. Profanities are not among them but that is just me.

I don't expect BBO to protect my sensitivities. How are they to know what I like or don't like? In my native language, words related to sexual activity and certain body parts are not that insulting, while words related to mental health might well be, depending on context of course.

If I don't like someone's behaviour I can just mark them as enemies.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-31, 22:05

I agree with Wank that genuinely private conversation among friends should be uncensored. Otherwise, I sympathise with 661_Pete:

Modern taboos and customs are peculiar and paradoxical:
  • To avoid offence, we must to use ugly euphemisms and clumsy syntactic distortions, especially when we refer to Islam, gender, sexual-preference, race, and disability -- in the rare instances, when we are permitted to discuss such matters, openly. We frown on moral judgements.
  • In most contexts, however, gratuitous profanity, blasphemy, and insolence are the norm. Words lose precision. Grammar grows sloppy. When grasping for expression, some people use fillers such as "Actually", "You know" or "Like" but most rely on a peppering of obscenities.
Language is organic but this evolution is uncomfortable and makes simple communication harder.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-November-01, 04:06

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-October-31, 04:34, said:

The one example which I was the 'victim' of, here on BBO, actually rather upset me. It was right 'out of the blue'. And I think that the perpetrator, if questioned about it, might very well plead "I only swear to my friends".

When a poster used obscenities towards me and threatened me with rape it was also out of the blue. Perhaps it is just a matter of a deranged person looking for a place to direct his aggression.

In my case, I thought that BBO would pursue prosecution, but the poster was not, to my knowledge, even banned.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-November-01, 05:25

View PostVampyr, on 2016-November-01, 04:06, said:

When a poster used obscenities towards me and threatened me with rape it was also out of the blue. Perhaps it is just a matter of a deranged person looking for a place to direct his aggression. In my case, I thought that BBO would pursue prosecution, but the poster was not, to my knowledge, even banned.
Constant exposure to such language habituates related behaviour. Nowadays, toddlers and young children use aggressive sexual metaphors, in every-day public communication.

#16 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-November-01, 06:19

I hope BBO would better resolve such sorts of problems in a mild way. For example, set a special colum - abusive behaviour in the recent a month, friendly remind and warn them.Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-November-02, 09:16

View Postnige1, on 2016-November-01, 05:25, said:

Constant exposure to such language habituates related behaviour. Nowadays, toddlers and young children use aggressive sexual metaphors, in every-day public communication.

In the case of little kids, obviously The blame rests squarely on the parents' shoulders. The key word is respect, and some children are not taught to respect their parents or indeed anyone. Respect should be the default attitude when dealing with anyone. Naturally, a person's behaviour can cause one to lose respect for that person, but one shoul still strive to treat them, and speak to them, civilly.

On the Internet, people are at a remove from those they are addressing, which somehow causes the normal rules of respect and civility to fly out the window. For example, people will write things they would never say out loud in public.

But the opposite should be true, especially on a public forum such as this one. Anyone can read what you posted -- friends, acquaintances, strangers, current and future employers, even your grandparents. So a good guideline of what is acceptable to post online is to write nothing that you would be uncomfortable saying in front of your grandma.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-02, 14:22

View PostVampyr, on 2016-November-02, 09:16, said:

But the opposite should be true, especially on a public forum such as this one. Anyone can read what you posted -- friends, acquaintances, strangers, current and future employers, even your grandparents. So a good guideline of what is acceptable to post online is to write nothing that you would be uncomfortable saying in front of your grandma.

So maybe hrothgar's grandma has a mouth like a truck driver? :)

BTW, I assumed the OP was talking about the chat filter in the BBO app, not the forum, since it referred to friend relationships.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-02, 18:47

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-02, 14:22, said:

So maybe hrothgar's grandma has a mouth like a truck driver? :)

BTW, I assumed the OP was talking about the chat filter in the BBO app, not the forum, since it referred to friend relationships.

I do not know Richard;s grandma. My grandma would not be proud of everything he said in these forums but I think she would love him.
Some people get offended by curse words that they hear everyday and prefer to pretend like it does not exists in the language, even when it is not use to insult/offend/attack anyone.
Some people get offended when an admin of both BBF and BBO gives negative reference to a group of working people of a specific job. Ironically, a group of people that he probably has little or no clue about.

OH! But we can not use the 'F' word when talking to our best friend in private. That is a NO NO! TOO bad word!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-November-03, 01:18

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-02, 14:22, said:

True but the thread has moved on.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users