Missed opportunities HH embarrassed

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-27, 17:06

Seems like daft Robots are at it again :(
Jim Patrick reports this deal as an extreme example of atrocious bidding and play.
Imps scoring West leads 5 against your doubled grand.

What do you think of the bidding?
Plan the play?
How long must we wait for bidding and play engines to be fixed? :)

#2 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-27, 21:37

View Postnige1, on 2016-October-27, 17:06, said:

Seems like daft Robots are at it again :(

Jim Patrick points out this deal as an extreme example of atrocious bidding and play.
Imps scoring West leads 6 against your doubled grand.

What do you think of the bidding?

Plan the play?
win the ace (great play, Kaitlyn!), run seven hopefully run seven diamonds (assuming no honor drops) and cash the HA. East can't hold four clubs and the top spades.
If West plays a top diamond, I eschew restricted choice, and if East really bid 5H on 4-3-3-3 I jump on the "let's get those robots fixed" bandwagon.

View Postnige1, on 2016-October-27, 17:06, said:

How long must we wait for bidding and play engines to be fixed? :)

I play with real players in the Main Bridge Club. How long must I wait for their bidding and play engines to be fixed? :lol:

#3 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-27, 21:37

duplicate post. However, I've screwed up my quote symbols in the last post and don't know how to fix them :(

#4 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 04:16

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-October-27, 21:37, said:

I play with real players in the Main Bridge Club. How long must I wait for their bidding and play engines to be fixed? :lol:

And how long do you suggest to wait for bidding and play of real players to be fixed? :lol:
I admit I have been in worse grands with real players to boot.

Win the A
Play diamond ace.
If West drops an honor finesse, run trumps, discard spades from dummy. Decide after cashing all turmps whether West was 1=7=1=4-, in which case a double squeeze pops up and your 6 will be your 12th trick. This assumes the spade 3 does not appear from West. Otherwise if West discards the spade 3 see below.
If West drops no honor run trumps nevertheless and discard spades. Try to squeeze East between the black suits. If you believe the hearts are 6-4 (e.g. East discards 4 hearts), you could try the same double squeeze playing West for 1=6=2=4

Rainer Herrmann

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 05:14

I'll just play for diamonds to break 2-2 and clubs 4-3. Ace of hearts, ruff a heart, ace of diamonds, AK of clubs, club ruff, king of diamonds.

edit after seeing replies: It really helps to read what the lead was! (assumed it was a heart)
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-28, 06:02

Assuming are 2-2,after winning A cash all discarding all s from dummy. East will be squeezed in & or West in & (if West has 4 carder ).

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 06:38

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-October-28, 05:14, said:

I'll just play for diamonds to break 2-2 and clubs 4-3. Ace of hearts, ruff a heart, ace of diamonds, AK of clubs, club ruff, king of diamonds.

Admittedly you have some chances to get to 12 tricks that way.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 08:02

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-October-28, 05:14, said:

I think you meant to cash AKQ of clubs, discard a spade and come to hand with a black suit ruff and hope it is not over ruffed. Playing W for

KJxxxxx
xx
Jxx

And E for

KQxx
Qxx
QJ
xxxx

If you are going to play this line, at least cash A first and see if E will drop an honor, before you ruff a heart to dummy. If not see an honor from east, you can easily shift back to the line Rainer suggested, which is more realistic anyway.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-29, 00:26

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-October-27, 21:37, said:

Katlyn S sussed it :)
The players aren't robots :)
They're all world-class :(
Gives hope to ordinary players :)
The full deal is something like this.
Perhaps South is too weak for a vulnerable 3.
West's 3 is brave.
Opposite a 3rd hand pre-empt, East's 5 is braver.
5N is also breave.
The double of 6 is amazing.
South ruffed a in dummy, allowing East to ruff the 4th round of s with Q to promote West's J.

#10 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 00:56

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-28, 08:02, said:

I think you meant to cash AKQ of clubs, discard a spade and come to hand with a black suit ruff and hope it is not over ruffed. Playing W for

KJxxxxx
xx
Jxx

And E for

KQxx
Qxx
QJ
xxxx

If you are going to play this line, at least cash A first and see if E will drop an honor, before you ruff a heart to dummy. If not see an honor from east, you can easily shift back to the line Rainer suggested, which is more realistic anyway.

If are assumed as 2-2 then the contract is cold.A &all ,this willbe 5 card ending
N-nil-7-nil-AKQ2,E-nil-KQ-NIL-XXX,S-9-A2-nil-53,W-K-nil-nil-Jxxx.OnA West will be forced to discard a.If East & West hands are interchanged the result will be same as East now is to discard a ,if they discard anything else 9 or 2 will be the 13th trick.Only problem will be if 5 carder Club is in one hand.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 09:03

View Postalok c, on 2016-October-29, 00:56, said:

If are assumed as 2-2 then the contract is cold.A &all ,this willbe 5 card ending
N-nil-7-nil-AKQ2,E-nil-KQ-NIL-XXX,S-9-A2-nil-53,W-K-nil-nil-Jxxx.OnA West will be forced to discard a.If East & West hands are interchanged the result will be same as East now is to discard a ,if they discard anything else 9 or 2 will be the 13th trick.Only problem will be if 5 carder Club is in one hand.

I do not understand what you are trying to say. But seems like you are repeating the line Rainer suggested and I already agreed with his line.

EDIT: Ok I read more carefully to figure what you are saying.

But even then your line is flawed, although the idea is valid. In last 5 cards you need to know whether W was 1723 or 1624 as Rainer mentioned.
If W is 1624 you can not cash A as you said you will or you go down. If W has 4 and held 4 +1, you are done with W. Now you need to cash 4 clubs to squeeze EAST in major suits and not touch A.
Oh and someone holding 5 in one hand will not break the squeeze. How did you come up with this?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 21:59

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-29, 09:03, said:

I do not understand what you are trying to say. But seems like you are repeating the line Rainer suggested and I already agreed with his line.

EDIT: Ok I read more carefully to figure what you are saying.

But even then your line is flawed, although the idea is valid. In last 5 cards you need to know whether W was 1723 or 1624 as Rainer mentioned.
If W is 1624 you can not cash A as you said you will or you go down. If W has 4 and held 4 +1, you are done with W. Now you need to cash 4 clubs to squeeze EAST in major suits and not touch A.
Oh and someone holding 5 in one hand will not break the squeeze. How did you come up with this?

Actually 5 i mentioned is in respect of the hand i cited in otherwords the squeeze fails(i.e you can't play HA as 9th trick instead you are to cash Cs) if one hand holds both & stoppers,in fact the squeeze is independent of distribution only the placement of stoppers are important.In last 5cards whoever holds stopper can keep only 3 & whoever holds stopper can keep 4 but to discard 1 on the play of A.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users