• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 4 H

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-27, 16:42

I opened 1 and I wanted to DBL 3 but that did not match the GIB system so I bid 3 and ended up playing silly contract.
Cross IMPs

Lead small club, E wins with Q and cashes club A. How would you continue?
Assume hearts are no worse than 4-2.
I screwed this one up and played against my better judgement.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-27, 21:27

MrAce, on 2016-October-27, 16:42, said:

I opened 1 and I wanted to DBL 3 but that did not match the GIB system so I bid 3 and ended up playing silly contract.
Cross IMPs

Lead small club, E wins with Q and cashes club A. How would you continue?
I screwed this one up and played against my better judgement.

Ruff, heart to the H10 (ducking if West plays low.) If West plays another club, ruff, cash the high trump, cross to the other hand, cash the other high trump, run winners. I think this works on 3-3 hearts or if West has 4 hearts and 3 or less clubs.

What if they win the heart and don't play clubs? Let's say they return a spade.

Now I cash one high trump and cash diamonds. If West ruffs at a point where he has no spades, then he only has a club and a heart left and either of those leads gives me the last two tricks. If West ruffs when he has a spade, I can ruff the club return, cross with a spade and draw the last trump.

I'm going to look really silly if West discards all his spades while East trumps and gives West a spade ruff.

#3 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-28, 01:21

1.Ruff A.
2.Low 10, East wins.
3.East returns a -ruff in hand.
4.Cash K.
5.Low to J.
6.Cash A.
7.Run.West can take J only any time.For preemptive bid East assumed to have 7carder.
If
3.East returns a or ,take in hand.
4.Cash HK.
5.Cash top honours of Spades in hand.
6.Run Diamonds.
7.West ruffs & returns a Club.
8.Ruff in hand.
9.Spade to Q.
10.Heart A.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-28, 02:41

MrAce asks "I opened 1 and I wanted to DBL 3 but that did not match the GIB system so I bid 3 and ended up playing silly contract.
Cross IMPs. Lead small club, E wins with Q and cashes club A. How would you continue?
I screwed this one up and played against my better judgement."

Guessing: no real plan...
Riff 2nd . Lead AK and, If are 3-1, then Q.
- If RHO ruffs and returns a . Ruff and cash K.
- - If RHO follows with a quack, then finesse T.
- If LHO ruffs and returns a . then ruff and cash AK
- If neither opponent ruffs, then attempt to cash some s.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-28, 07:46

@ Kaitlyn and Alok :

- You ruffed 2nd club
- You ducked a to East.
- East now plays a
- You won in hand.
- You cashed K all followed, (At this point one of you cash remaining honor in hand (Alok) other one cashes diamonds (Kaitlyn)

ALOK line: After cashing remaining honor (East discards a club on 2nd spade) Alok says he cashes diamonds, all follows, on 3rd diamond W ruffs and plays a spade which East ruffs and goes down when 3-3 hearts. He could make by cashing 3rd but then he would go down when 4-2 hearts.

KAITLYN line: She does not touch remaining honor and after cashing K she plays diamonds. She ends up with same dilemma Alok suffered. Everyone follows diamonds, on third diamond W ruffs and gives E a spade ruff.

I am not saying your lines are bad. I am saying we have to at some point decide whether to play for 3-3 or 4-2 hearts. I could not find a way to cater for both. Perhaps I am missing something.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 08:18

MrAce, on 2016-October-28, 07:46, said:

@ Kaitlyn and Alok :

- You ruffed 2nd club
- You ducked a to East.
- East now plays a
- You won in hand.
- You cashed K all followed, (At this point one of you cash remaining honor in hand (Alok) other one cashes diamonds (Kaitlyn)

ALOK line: After cashing remaining honor (East discards a club on 2nd spade) Alok says he cashes diamonds, all follows, on 3rd diamond W ruffs and plays a spade which East ruffs and goes down when 3-3 hearts. He could make by cashing 3rd but then he would go down when 4-2 hearts.

KAITLYN line: She does not touch remaining honor and after cashing K she plays diamonds. She ends up with same dilemma Alok suffered. Everyone follows diamonds, on third diamond W ruffs and gives E a spade ruff.

I am not saying your lines are bad. I am saying we have to at some point decide whether to play for 3-3 or 4-2 hearts. I could not find a way to cater for both. Perhaps I am missing something.

Only point of consideration is with at best 3pts with 5-3-2-3 in vulnerable condition would West rise to 4? which can easily fetch -800.Imho West is more likely to have 5-4-1-3.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-28, 08:30

alok c, on 2016-October-28, 08:18, said:

Only point of consideration is with at best 3pts with 5-3-2-3 in vulnerable condition would West rise to 4? which can easily fetch -800.Imho West is more likely to have 5-4-1-3.

He could lead then.
He could raise with 5323, after all he knows they have 10 card fit.

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-October-28, 09:03

Unless the doubleton heart is QJ, I don't see how it makes on a 4-2 break - when the heart 10 loses to an honor, opps simply refuse to force again, ruff in whenever they can with their long trump, draw the last trump, then continue on with clubs - so I refuse to ruff the second club and instead pitch a diamond. I win any return in hand and lead low heart to the 10, playing for a 3-3 break or to go down less with a 4-2 break.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-28, 09:31

Winstonm, on 2016-October-28, 09:03, said:

Unless the doubleton heart is QJ, I don't see how it makes on a 4-2 break - when the heart 10 loses to an honor, opps simply refuse to force again, ruff in whenever they can with their long trump, draw the last trump, then continue on with clubs - so I refuse to ruff the second club and instead pitch a diamond. I win any return in hand and lead low heart to the 10, playing for a 3-3 break or to go down less with a 4-2 break.

If you can not see how making with 4-2 break unless doubleton is QJ , even after people already explained, perhaps this is not the game you should waste your time.Posted Image

Wasting your time with this game was said as a joke.:)
I think you missed tha part that those who ducked a heart, cashed K of hearts and A of hearts is still in dummy and defense can not draw trumps after ruffing.Posted Image

Besides the alternative line you suggest is pathetic. There are much better lines if you are going to play for 3-3 . The line you suggest not only require 3-3 but also requires 2-2 . Or when you duck 2nd club they play diamond and when you duck a they take ruff. When hearts are 3-3, as you want to play for, ruff 2nd club, duck a , win whatever they play and cash AK of . Or if you insist on not ruffing 2nd club, at least play AK of and a third , instead of playing a to T.

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2016-October-28, 10:05

Winstonm, on 2016-October-28, 09:03, said:

You can only when East was a good citizen who preempted with 7 clubs, because then you can render him entryless. However I will tell you a secret: I heard he was going to vote for Trump....

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-28, 10:24

Fluffy, on 2016-October-28, 10:05, said:

You can only when East was a good citizen who preempted with 7 clubs, because then you can render him entryless. However I will tell you a secret: I heard he was going to vote for Trump....

I can, even if E was not a good citizen and preempted with only 6 clubs and hearts are 4-2.Posted Image

I actually played for it at the table. Same line. Ruff 2nd and duck a . Assume hearts are 4-2. 3 bidder has 2. How will you defeat my 4? Isn't it obvious that diamonds are 2-2? No lead, no shift.
Especially when E has Hx

#12 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 10:37

MrAce, on 2016-October-28, 08:30, said:

He could lead then.
He could raise with 5323, after all he knows they have 10 card fit.

True but also true that West should not want to reduce his trump holding by ruffing a .In fact if he ruffs a on 2nd trick, game becomes very easy( 1st trick A & South continues ),if West does'nt ruff South will cash 1more,cash AK& continue .

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-28, 10:39

alok c, on 2016-October-28, 10:37, said:

True but also true that West should not want to reduce his trump holding by ruffing a .In fact if he ruffs a on 2nd trick, game becomes very easy( 1st trick A & South continues ),if West does'nt ruff South will cash 1more,cash AK& continue .

You are assuming, in my opinion wrongly, that West knew that they were playing a 4-3 fit before he made his lead. He may want to get 2 diamond ruff and in order to do that he needs to lead diamond and keep club entry of his pd. Of course he will not ruff diamond on later stage because he sees the position clearly. He is almost defending double dummy.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-28, 10:43

FYI, in actual hand West had 5323
I played him for 4423 just like you did and went down.

#15 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 10:58

MrAce, on 2016-October-28, 10:43, said:

FYI, in actual hand West had 5323
I played him for 4423 just like you did and went down.

Bad luck then,reckless bidding by West -800 call for 4.

#16 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-October-28, 13:13

MrAce, on 2016-October-28, 09:31, said:

If you can not see how making with 4-2 break unless doubleton is QJ , even after people already explained, perhaps this is not the game you should waste your time.Posted Image

Wasting your time with this game was said as a joke.:)
I think you missed tha part that those who ducked a heart, cashed K of hearts and A of hearts is still in dummy and defense can not draw trumps after ruffing.Posted Image

Besides the alternative line you suggest is pathetic. There are much better lines if you are going to play for 3-3 . The line you suggest not only require 3-3 but also requires 2-2 . Or when you duck 2nd club they play diamond and when you duck a they take ruff. When hearts are 3-3, as you want to play for, ruff 2nd club, duck a , win whatever they play and cash AK of . Or if you insist on not ruffing 2nd club, at least play AK of and a third , instead of playing a to T.

Yeah, well that's the reason I don't play much anymore. :D
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#17 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-October-28, 16:49

Deleted

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-28, 18:23

nige1, on 2016-October-28, 16:49, said:

Deleted

Heh you deleted it, I was responding. Posted Image

#19 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-October-29, 00:09

MrAce, on 2016-October-28, 18:23, said:

fdHeh you deleted it, I was responding. Posted Image
Sorry, MrAce, and thank you for not quoting me :)
I deleted my reply because it was mostly rubbish :(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users