BBO Discussion Forums: Cue-bid after interferred Double? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cue-bid after interferred Double?

#1 User is offline   x359x 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-October-25, 17:00

(pard)Pass-(opp1)1C-(me)X-(opp2)1H-(pard)2C
Is pard's 2C natural or cue-bid (disregarding opp2 bid) showing same as cue-bid in case opp2 passed?

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-25, 21:58

It's conventional to put opponent's bids in parentheses:
p-(1C)-x-(1H);2C

So it's easier to read and you don't have to put in so many labels.

As for your question, normally partner's bid is a cue-bid, since your double implies shortness in clubs it's pretty rare that you'd really want to play there. Holding club length and not length in other suits, the hand is misfit and your side would normally be better off defending. 2 on the other hand would normally be natural, usually 5+ cds, since your double implied hearts. This prevents opp from psyching (in this case bidding hearts without actually having many) to pick off your major, or you losing the suit even though you belong there despite 4-0 or 4-1 split when the 1 bid was not a psych.

As for what p-(1C)-x-(1H);x should be, there are differences of opinion. Some think it should be hearts, penalty, usually 4 cds only, and others think it should be responsive.

#3 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-25, 22:34

Interesting. I can't give positive reputation on a mobile device. Anyway, +1 for Stephen.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-25, 23:12

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-October-25, 21:58, said:

It's conventional to put opponent's bids in parentheses:
p-(1C)-x-(1H);2C

So it's easier to read and you don't have to put in so many labels.

As for your question, normally partner's bid is a cue-bid, since your double implies shortness in clubs it's pretty rare that you'd really want to play there. Holding club length and not length in other suits, the hand is misfit and your side would normally be better off defending. 2 on the other hand would normally be natural, usually 5+ cds, since your double implied hearts. This prevents opp from psyching (in this case bidding hearts without actually having many) to pick off your major, or you losing the suit even though you belong there despite 4-0 or 4-1 split when the 1 bid was not a psych.

As for what p-(1C)-x-(1H);x should be, there are differences of opinion. Some think it should be hearts, penalty, usually 4 cds only, and others think it should be responsive.

All of that looks about right. At least it is how we use the calls by advancer mentioned in the post. I don't the the answer to the question, though; but I am old.

For us p (1C) x 1H--2c= 4spades 4 or (likely more) Diamonds, and 9+ points like a responsive cuebid. We need to get that in there right away, because the opponents have a whole lot of clubs.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-26, 08:50

Since opener's clubs could be short, it's quite possible that partner has a real club suit, so I think many play partner's 2 as natural. If partner wants to show extra strength, he can cue bid responder's suit.

On the other hand, I think some use a bid of responder's suit as natural, to prevent him from stealing from you by psyching 1. If he has clubs, he can bid 1NT, expecting you to stop responder's hearts.

#6 User is offline   pstansbu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-26, 15:06

As others have said, there isn't a single right answer. If the opening bid could be short (2 or sometimes even 1) this could have an impact - you would need partnership agreement as to whether you treat these as natural, in which case the cue bid would not show clubs. Alternatively some do play the 2 would be natural in this case. In the absence of an agreement I suggest the default position is that cue bids aren't natural.

I agree with the options given - there is an alternative more precise, albeit more complex and memory intensive (i.e. be cautious if not a regular partnership, this won't come up a lot):
  • Dbl is responsive - 4-4 in the unbid suits (remembering this sequence isn't always responsive - as the classic treatment is when responder raises rather than bids a new suit)
  • NT bids are sandwich - 5-5 in the unbid suits
  • Cue bids are 5-4 in the unbid suits with the cue bid representing the longer suit (higher for higher and lower for lower - so 2 shows 5 s and 4 s whilst 2 shows 5 s and 4 s)

This takes full advantage of the fact you have 2 suits available to cue bid.

This also points to a wider discussion with partner as there are various situations when you have 2 suits to cue bid:
  • As above, but partner passed
  • As above, but partner overcalled
  • Opponents make a 2 suited overcall

But that wasn't the question :)

#7 User is offline   x359x 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-October-26, 16:14

Thank you very much all, very comprehensive!

#8 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-October-31, 17:42

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-October-25, 21:58, said:

I hate the use of the word 'penalty'. I think the double should shows hearts. I would have willingly bid 1(or more hearts) if RHO had passed.
With 4 spades just bid 1. No one cares about diamonds. This game is about the majors.

p-(1)-X-(1); X. This auction may create an inconsistency. We are interested in 4-4 majors. Less interested in diamonds. Now the double is better served showing both majors.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-02, 06:48

View Postjogs, on 2016-October-31, 17:42, said:

p-(1)-X-(1); X. This auction may create an inconsistency. We are interested in 4-4 majors. Less interested in diamonds. Now the double is better served showing both majors.

Whether responder bid 1 or passed, we have the same concern -- to get to the 4-4 major fit. There is no particular good reason when we have 4-4 majors opposite partner's takeout double and even as few as 6 or 7 points not to cuebid 2 to ensure that we arrive at the 4-4 fit instead of the 4-3 fit when possible.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users