• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

everything wrong lately

#1 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2016-October-22, 15:33

maybe it is just me but lately when i play robot games it seems like 2 of 3 hands have bad splits or all finesses wrong. this is not fun at all. i dont mind some but when ive bid to the correct contract i expect to make it sometimes.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-22, 16:28

View Postthomas c, on 2016-October-22, 15:33, said:

maybe it is just me but lately when i play robot games it seems like 2 of 3 hands have bad splits or all finesses wrong. this is not fun at all. i dont mind some but when ive bid to the correct contract i expect to make it sometimes.

Sadly (for some purposes), one of the changes to BBO a year or so back, under pressure from ACBL, was the denial of general public access to the BBO "MyHand" robot tourney records of individuals other than those of the interrogator (and other competitors specified in the named tourney). I accept assurances that the resulting security improvements provide sufficient overall benefits as to justify the move, but it does render threads such as this frustrating.

I personally don't share your experience, and it would be helpful if you download a set of hands that you have played against robots, covering a significant period (say 2 months), and upload them somewhere public so that your statistical claims can be independently verified without relying on various psychological biases. If you use Double Dummy Solver by Bridge Captain, that would be ideal, with the hands saved in SQL.

You are not the first to make the point. If you are right (and I don't accept that repetition here reinforces the case), at least you can take some comfort from the fact that all the other human players in your seat at other tables run into the same problem. In that respect it cannot be "just you". It is interesting that you qualify the OP with "lately", implying that there has been a recent unannounced change in the dealing process. I think that unlikely. But most of those who like you think that there is a dealing bias would say that it has always been thus.

I should be interested to know whether you think that this phenomenon is restricted to robot events. If it is, it would require that BBO apply a different dealing algorithm in robot events than in human events. That really requires a "conspiracy theory" mind-set.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-23, 02:32

lol

#4 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-23, 06:57

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-October-22, 16:28, said:

I personally don't share your experience, and it would be a complete waste of time if you download a set of hands that you have played against robots, covering a significant period (say 2 months), and upload them somewhere public so that your statistical claims can be independently verified without relying on various psychological biases. If you use Double Dummy Solver by Bridge Captain, that would be ideal, with the hands saved in SQL.

FYP
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#5 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-23, 14:01

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-October-22, 16:28, said:

... one of the changes to BBO a year or so back, under pressure from ACBL, was the denial of general public access to the BBO "MyHand" robot tourney records of individuals other than those of the interrogator (and other competitors specified in the named tourney). I accept assurances that the resulting security improvements provide sufficient overall benefits as to justify the move...

I have actually been wondering abt this...

Provided that a deal has already been completed at all tables where it should be played, how can it be a security concern at all, to let anyone see the records?

And why Robot-tourneys specifically?

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-23, 20:50

The move was driven by pressure from ACBL to preserve confidence in their masterpoints, so applies to masterpointed events. I am not sure why it was extended to non-ACBL masterpointed events. Perhaps for simplicity. Perhaps BBO agreed with ACBL once the security concerns were raised.

Completed robot tourneys remain protected because they form the bank of hands used in Instant tourneys, which also rank for masterpoints
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-26, 23:56

The hands are dealt randomly. This complaint comes to me in one form or another about 3-4 times a month, and it is wrong every time. Sorry about the bad breaks folks!
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-27, 02:30

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-October-23, 14:01, said:

I have actually been wondering abt this...

Provided that a deal has already been completed at all tables where it should be played, how can it be a security concern at all, to let anyone see the records?

And why Robot-tourneys specifically?

My guess is that this is due to the instant ACBL games which replay previously played ACBL robot tournaments. In theory (and probably not that much theory), somebody could go through the ACBL robot tournament hand records for other players and then based on the first hand dealt, search a database to find the tournament that BBO is using for that instant game. The cheaters could then bid and play every hand double dummy.

#9 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-27, 02:32

View Postthomas c, on 2016-October-22, 15:33, said:

If you pay for the Super Deluxe robots, every suit of the opponents breaks as evenly as possible and finesses work 75% of the time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users