• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oswald Jacoby squeeze claim cant see it

#1 User is offline   plaur 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-22, 10:49

Lead King of hearts, east follows suit

Reading an old article(Dansk Bridge, juli 1984) about Oswald Jacoby. It reads: "West led K and when East followed Ozzie claimed on a double squeeze against any distribution. Only six seconds had passed since the lead! Try it yourself." I cant see it. What am I missing?

One failed try: Assume West has A and leads a spade on trick two. I draw trumps, A, K, ruff , run spades. In the four card position I play the last spade. West keeps A so I discard the Q from dummy. Cross to dummy with a low club and leads a club from dummy. Both opponents have followed suit in both minors. West is 1633 or 1642 but I still dont know where the minor Queens are, so dont know whether to drop or finesse clubs.

Four card postion with South on lead. Q and Q both still out, but not known who has which

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-22, 11:08

In your 4 card ending if West has the high diamond, West has to come down to one club. If East has it he can't keep 2C +1D after the spade is played.

Note: the jC technically isn't needed.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-22, 12:18

What he's saying is you don't know who guards diamonds so you don't know whether to hook the club or play for the drop in the endgame.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-22, 13:40

Because you don't know the opponents' distribution, you might need the CJ. Ruff the third diamond and come down to:

When you lead the trump, if East has the high diamond, West needs to keep the heart (so you can discard the HQ) and East needs to keep the diamond, and your last club is good, with the CJ being irrelevant.

However, when West has the high diamond, East isn't squeezed at all. However, West must come down to only one club and East will have all clubs, possibly including the queen. So, lead a club to the CA extracting West's last club, and the CJ is quite relevant now.

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-October-22, 13:58

The squeeze is a compound squeeze. Because the suits with the doubly stopped threats ( 10, J) are divided between the two hands, the compound squeeze will be, by Love's terminology, a type L compound squeeze. Assuming the A is with West, Q is the basic threat against West.

If West holds guards in all side suits, then on the 2nd last free suit () winner, West will have to discard a card which removes one of those guards. That's because you are executing a one loser triple squeeze on West when you play the 2nd last free suit winner. Depending on what suit is abandoned, the resultant double squeeze will be either a type R double squeeze or a type B1/C1 double squeeze.

To keep all possibilities open, you can't cash the winners as you must allow for the execution of either possible double squeeze.

If West only has guards in one suit () or two suits ( and a minor), hopefully that will become apparent as you run . Also, with QJ in dummy, West may be under additional pressure because of the need to retain Ax to prevent a possible setup of a trick by ruffing out a stiff A.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-22, 16:01

View Postrmnka447, on 2016-October-22, 13:58, said:

The squeeze is a compound squeeze. Because the suits with the doubly stopped threats ( 10, J) are divided between the two hands, the compound squeeze will be, by Love's terminology, a type L compound squeeze. Assuming the A is with West, Q is the basic threat against West.

Once we ruff out the diamond it ceases to be a compound. Edit - I see you say that in your 3rd paragraph.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   plaur 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-22, 16:09

The squeeze is a compound squeeze ...

Thank you!
I need the threat of ruffing a heart good(missed that) and keep the diamond entry for that. Because of the heart ruffing threat West must keep two hearts and thus discard a minor suit card. Then, when I ruff a diamond, I will know who guards diamonds (or diamonds are good) and then in the end I will know the club position.

#8 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-23, 05:17

Awesome guy, Oswald.
How do I reach that level?

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-23, 07:30

Agree with Plaur.
IMO the director should normally deny the claim if are 4-3 or 3-4.
The claim would save time only against trusting defenders.
Suppose LHO switches to a .
Does Jacoby have a sure-trick play at single dummy?

#10 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-23, 08:13

This will be the 6card ending
N-NIL-QJ-K10-AX
E-Whatever
S-XX-NIL-X-KJX
W-NIL-AX-QXXX-NIL(or any minor suit combination,what ihave shown is an extreme case)
Play,
1.South Spade, discard a Heart from dummy.West can not discard a Heart.
2&3.Diamond to K & ruff a diamond.
Same play if West has 4 Clubs instead of 4 diamonds.
Club J is important either to take a marked finesse thru' East or to prevent Club 10 if in East's hand to take a trick.

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-October-23, 08:13

What kaitlyn says is correct.If,as is obvious ,the HA is with West then who holds the Diamonds is immaterial.It becomes an automatic double squeeze or a finesse on discovery.

#12 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-23, 08:43

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-October-22, 13:40, said:

Because you don't know the opponents' distribution, you might need the CJ. Ruff the third diamond and come down to:

When you lead the trump, if East has the high diamond, West needs to keep the heart (so you can discard the HQ) and East needs to keep the diamond, and your last club is good, with the CJ being irrelevant.

However, when West has the high diamond, East isn't squeezed at all. However, West must come down to only one club and East will have all clubs, possibly including the queen. So, lead a club to the CA extracting West's last club, and the CJ is quite relevant now.

Unless I've missed something this isn't quite correct. You lead the last spade, discarding the hear (assuming west holds on to the ace). However you still don't know who holds the diamond guard. If east then you play clubs from the top and the last is good. If west, you finesse the jack. But it is still a guess.

#13 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-23, 11:30

View PostGrahamJson, on 2016-October-23, 08:43, said:

Unless I've missed something this isn't quite correct. You lead the last spade, discarding the hear (assuming west holds on to the ace). However you still don't know who holds the diamond guard. If east then you play clubs from the top and the last is good. If west, you finesse the jack. But it is still a guess.
You are right. Dang, I misplaced 2 hands on here yesterday.

#14 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-October-23, 15:00

The possibility suggest on diamond suit (4-3) takes at a compound squeeze after five rounds of trump with Q unilateral in N and the minors as double threats (Ax/R10x in N and Ax/RJx in S). On next of last trump W if discard after cashing A and K is estabilished a twin entry double sq. whilest if discard after cashing A and K in club and A in diamond suit is estabilished a balanced double squeeze on last spade.

#15 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-24, 04:05

i expect it's something to do with the extended (trump squeeze) menace against west. he needs to keep 2 hearts perforce, not only 1. we'll assume he knows the heart count - east will give it honestly.

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-October-24, 07:40

] Also, with QJ in dummy, West may be under additional pressure because of the need to retain Ax to prevent a possible setup of a trick by ruffing out a stiff A.

View Postwank, on 2016-October-24, 04:05, said:

i expect it's something to do with the extended (trump squeeze) menace against west. he needs to keep 2 hearts perforce, not only 1. we'll assume he knows the heart cot - east will give it honestly.
mnka447 and wank make an excellent argument but IMO, the director shouldn't allow a claim, at trick one, that depends on defenders assisting declarer with their signals. Without such help, declarer might guess wrong if LHO bares A and RHO keeps an obfuscating singleton .

If declarer is relying on an inferential count, he should make that clear in his initial claim-statement,

#17 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-October-24, 13:34

View Postplaur, on 2016-October-22, 10:49, said:

Lead King of hearts, east follows suit

Second trick: Diamond 8

West hand : 853 AK10984 8 Q86 - East hand : - 765 QJ9742 10973 (from "BRIDGE A' LA UNE" by Jose' Le Dentu).

#18 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-24, 15:44

View PostLovera, on 2016-October-24, 13:34, said:

West hand : 853 AK10984 8 Q86 - East hand : - 765 QJ9742 10973 (from "BRIDGE A' LA UNE" by Jose' Le Dentu).

Since the problem says "Second trick diamond 8," we can assume that Ozzie didn't claim until the 8d hit the table. After that, it's easy, and the Jack of clubs is indeed immaterial, although it relies on the 8D being honest and sane. If West had either or both diamond honors, he wouldn't lead the 8d at trick 2. So either West has 8742 of diamonds, or East has the D guard. If West has the 8742, the QJ get ruffed out, and the 10 is the 12th trick.

If the QJ don't ruff out, then East has the diamond guard, and there is an easy double squeeze. West must keep H guard; East must keep D guard; no one can keep C guard. Jc could be a small one; same result.

Cheers,
Mike

#19 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-October-24, 15:48

View Postnige1, on 2016-October-24, 15:48, said:

Thank you, Lovera :) OK, on that layout, IMO, the director should allow Jacoby's claim.

View Postmiamijd, on 2016-October-24, 15:44, said:

Since the problem says "Second trick diamond 8," we can assume that Ozzie didn't claim until the 8d hit the table.
The OP states that Jacoby claimed at trick 1 and does not mention 8

#20 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-25, 00:18

OP said "---- against any distribution".It tacitly implies against assumption for opponents play. North is also getting squeezed,if East is protecting he will simply reduce his holding as per North's discard .

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users