BBO Discussion Forums: Uncontested Auction - Dropped an honor card after I make a forcing call - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uncontested Auction - Dropped an honor card after I make a forcing call

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-21, 07:18

View PostMinorKid, on 2016-October-21, 05:32, said:

Imagine...

I don't quite understand what this has to do with the OP or with abusing the bridge laws to favour one group of players over another.

Put another way, if there was a bridge competition in Saudi Arabia or Iraq and female contestants and commoners were routinely ruled against because "it is is the culture to respect men of wealth", would you regard this as fair? or even bridge? How about a works event where the boss is allowed a top on every board because "it is the culture to respect our superiors"? You are really creating a rod for your own back if you choose to make rulings on that basis. I certainly would refuse to play in that club once I understood what was going on.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#22 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2016-October-21, 07:55

Zelandakh

Good point. IMO should respect the decision of non offending side also.

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-21, 08:24

Which decision is that? There are rules governing what happened. If the rules give the NOS opportunity to make a decision, then fine. If they don't, then whatever decision they wish to make is irrelevant.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   nielsbio 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-October-24, 10:23

Pardon me. Why involve the non offenders in the ruling?

As I understand the OP the player has not tried to change her call. Therefore 25B is not relevant. As there is no second call to accept (or not), LHO is not part of the ruling. The 2D-call applies, and the partner must pass once. And it is also not relevant, whether the call came before or after the drop of the Ace.

Quite another question is, whether you want to play by the rules or not; but that has no influence on the correct ruling as such.

#25 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-24, 12:02

Redress for a Bridge infraction can (and should) include both "rectification" and deterrence. My experience differs from Barmar's: If the offender is handicapped, there's rarely a problem. Some opponents won't draw attention to the infraction. Others ask the director to waive redress (at his discretion).

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-25, 08:46

View Postnielsbio, on 2016-October-24, 10:23, said:

As I understand the OP the player has not tried to change her call.

My understanding is that the question is whether she's allowed to change her call.

When partner is barred, the opponents will often pass unless they think they have a game. If the bar occurs before you've bid, a common action with a good hand is to try to guess a makable game contract. But if he's barred after you've bid, your original bid will likely become the contract, and the OP is apparently thinking that there should be a way to convert this to the previous situation, so you can try to guess a better contract even though you've already bid.

And the simple answer is no.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users