• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ubuntu and flash player

#1 User is offline   counter13 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-October-17, 14:45

Dear Sirs:
My windows puter is down. Am trying to play on wiffies puter on Ubuntu.
I can't get past Adobe flash player. Knowledge of Ubuntu is sparse to say the least.
So I am in deep withdrawal as I can't play bridge!!!!
Flash player is on Ubuntu somewhere as .tar program.
I downloaded it yesterday.
If you move this message I'll never be able to find it.
Thanks for any help.

#2 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-18, 04:57

counter13, on 2016-October-17, 14:45, said:

Dear Sirs:
My windows puter is down. Am trying to play on wiffies puter on Ubuntu.
I can't get past Adobe flash player. Knowledge of Ubuntu is sparse to say the least.
So I am in deep withdrawal as I can't play bridge!!!!
Flash player is on Ubuntu somewhere as .tar program.
I downloaded it yesterday.
If you move this message I'll never be able to find it.
Thanks for any help.

Maybe I can help. I do not use Windows, but have used Ubuntu for years. I don't like flash for security reasons, and don't currently have it, but you do not need to use the complicated methods that you suggest. What version of Ubuntu are you using, and what browser are you using?

Edit :

To find Ubuntu version, eg "14.04 LTS", click on the cogwheel on the top right corner of the screen, then from that menu "system settings", then click the icon for "details" near the bottom.

If you are not sure of the browser and it does not appear in the title bar when using it, when you start it you should see its name eg "chromium", or "firefox", or "chrome", or it should appear as a popup name when you hover over the icon.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-18, 05:47

I have had problems with running flash under firefox (ubuntu 14.04 LTS) but chrome works fine.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   counter13 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-October-18, 07:26

Thanks for responding fromageGB and helene_t.
Running Gmail under chrome
Ubuntu Mate - mate v 1.12.1 Ubuntu v 16.09
I also don't like Flash Player.....

I kind of need details how to get into the online BBO.
Ubuntu is the problem....
I usually go on the BBO with windows 7 pro 64-bit.
The puter I am sending this message from is also 64-bit.

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-18, 11:51

counter13, on 2016-October-18, 07:26, said:

Running Gmail under chrome

OK, the latest version of Ubuntu should not be causing problems, so shelve that as a possible problem. It is probably a browser problem, as the flash player integrates itself into the browser.

You say "gmail" but I thought that was purely for email usage, not web usage as in this forum for example. But if you are on the chrome browser it will (should be) easy. I thought the chrome browser came complete with flash player built in, so I shall install it and try.

If it does work, you need to uninstall your existing chrome and install again, but we'll cross that bridge later. Watch this space ...

#6 User is offline   counter13 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-October-18, 12:44

Sorry fromageGB my browser is chrome.
When I request the BBO it asks me to install the Flash Player.
Being new to Ubuntu, I downloaded Flash Player and I have no idea
where it puts it. Then I have to expand it. I am not a fan of flash player.
Thank you for helping.

#7 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-18, 13:52

I have BBO working now, but I can't show you as I cannot upload an image from my pc, it seems to just take a website url.

The steps I took are detailed below, but the first time I tried the BBO site I received a "loading..." message that seemed to hang, so I went to the plugin settings and ticked the box that says "always allowed to run", and then when I tried the BBO site it worked immediately. You might like to try this first to see if just this one simple thing fixes the problem :

Enter to the chrome browser seachbar/url bar :
chrome://plugins/
and then tick the box in the flash plugin section.

A sensible quick way to test flash is to go to the site:
https://www.adobe.co...ckwave/welcome/
This says "when you see an animation below then your installation was successful" but I see no animation. However, click on "test your adobe flash player installation" and it goes to a new page and an animation does indeed appear for a couple of seconds, and it also shows the flash version.

If that does not do it, I would remove your existing chrome browser and install it again. Chrome comes with flash preloaded, and you will not need or use the file you already have.

To remove your browser, first install an alternative browser, such as chromium or firefox, if you don't have one, because having no internet access is not a good idea if things temporarily go wrong!

The next step is to save your bookmarks in case deleting the chrome browser deletes your bookmarks. I don't think it should do, but I like to be safe. See :
https://support.goog.../96816?hl=en-GB
and save the resulting html file in a directory somewhere.
Now get your wife to login in and save her bookmarks.

The next step is to delete the chrome software. I believe your version of ubuntu has a different install manager (I'm on 14.04 and it is "ubuntu software centre") but it must be similar. In your program "software" you should be able to select the google chrome browser and uninstall it. (If you can't see how, I can give the the terminal commands to type, but I guess you would prefer to use a gui method.)

Once it has gone, then install a clean new browser. The best way to do this is to go to:
https://www.google.c...rowser/desktop/
and download the version it recommends, to save the file anywhere in your filing system. It will probably be the same as I did, which is the file :
google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
Find this file in your file manager program, possibly "nautilus" or simply "files", and double-click it. As it is a .deb file type, it will now install. (Again I could give you the commands to enter.)

Once installed, you can find it in your "dash", the generic ubuntu search facility. It is probably in your launch bar, an icon of 3 dots round a circle, but you can usually open it by just hitting the "super" key, known everywhere else as the "windows" key. Just enter "chrome" and the chrome icon will appear. Click it to start chrome. Or drag the icon to your desktop if you want a copy permanently there.

If the bbo site does not load properly, you need to tick the box I described at the top of this post.

Let us know how it goes.

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-18, 13:55

Quick correction to the above : download the new version of chrome in chrome, before you delete the browser. Then you will not need to use the alternative browsers.

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-18, 14:08

Another quick comment : when you install programs in ubuntu it will ask you for the admin password during that process. This may be your login password, or your wife's, but if not, you'll need to get it from the person who set the computer up!

#10 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-19, 11:50

Update for the MATE desktop environment

Of course in linux you can install many alternative programs to do just about any job, but the default ones in MATE are not the ones in Unity that I am familiar with. You may or may not have the same "software centre" for (un)installations - it's an option provided - but you do not have the same "dash" search facility. If you can't find chrome after installing it, you can apparently see it listed in the "application menu" - which sounds similar to the gnome menus I like. Your file manager is probably not nautilus, but caja, which is a fork of it.

As a buy-the-by, if you are going to spend time in linux, I recommend the Krusader file manager ...

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-20, 04:09

fromageGB, on 2016-October-18, 13:52, said:

I have BBO working now, but I can't show you as I cannot upload an image from my pc, it seems to just take a website url.

Yes, that is a bit of a pain. You need to upload your screenshot to some other site such as picasso or imgur, and then post a link to your uploaded image.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-20, 04:39

Thanks, Helene, that was useful - if this works...
Yes, I now (or did) have BBO!
http://imgur.com/a/MldLR

It did not work by clicking the "insert image" icon and pasting the link, getting this message :
You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.
but perhaps it will accept the raw link.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-20, 08:31

fromageGB, on 2016-October-20, 04:39, said:

Thanks, Helene, that was useful - if this works...
Yes, I now (or did) have BBO!
http://imgur.com/a/MldLR

It did not work by clicking the "insert image" icon and pasting the link, getting this message :
You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.
but perhaps it will accept the raw link.

That URL isn't the image, it's a web page that contains lots of stuff surrounding the image. If you right click on the screenshot part and select Copy Image Address you'll get the URL http://i.imgur.com/JLjmRkl.png, and you can use that in the Insert Image function.

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-21, 03:54

Thank you barmar, I should have thought of that!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users