How would you guys rule this?

#21 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-18, 18:09

View Postgordontd, on 2016-October-18, 01:22, said:

I think a statement like this requires more corroboration than "he claims that he can reliably predict..." In an international event the TD team is international and TDs do not rule without consulting each other.
The opinion I quoted was extreme but the perceptions of others can be amusing.

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-18, 16:26, said:

This TD is also TD in major WBF events.
The committee and most commentators seem to agree with his ruling :)

#22 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-19, 01:13

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-18, 16:26, said:

This TD is also TD in major WBF events.

I was replying to nige1's quotation of another player's claim that players' and TDs' nationalities are significant in determining rulings.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#23 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-19, 03:48

View Postbarmar, on 2016-October-17, 08:25, said:

But it's relevant whether the MI was given to the player who took action based on it.

I think it's safe to assume that the TD established that Versace was given MI, since otherwise there would be no basis for the ruling or appeal at all.

I am glad you are used to this high standard for TDs, but I am not :P

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-19, 05:08

View Postbarmar, on 2016-October-17, 08:25, said:

But it's relevant whether the MI was given to the player who took action based on it.

I think it's safe to assume that the TD established that Versace was given MI, since otherwise there would be no basis for the ruling or appeal at all.

Yes.
Two different explanations. TD had to figure which of them explained the correct version of their agreement/system to their screen mate. And whether Versace had the correct version of it or not.
If NS pair had a way to prove that the explanation to Versace was the correct one, EW would have no case.
Lack of cc, or any system notes, or lack of another example hand played in same match, made TD to not give benefit of doubt to offending side.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-19, 05:38

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-October-16, 05:18, said:

Result stands. I don't believe that the misexplanation makes double more attractive.

This is exactly how I thought what the law cares.
Apparently I was wrong.
According to people who dealt with so many appeal cases like this on screens, the law says E had the right to receive correct explanation of opponent system.
According to them it does not matter that South hand coincidentally matches to the explanation.
They say "Yes, East made a speculative double that we may not make, and the south hand was not something he did not expect, but this is irrelevant because if he received correct information he would not make this double"
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users