How would you guys rule this?

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-16, 04:55

http://bridgewinners...=419268#c419268
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-16, 05:18

Result stands. I don't believe that the misexplanation makes double more attractive.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-16, 07:11

IMO the director and committee both ruled correctly. Admittedly, Versace was given a fair description of South's actual hand. Nevertheless...
  • If South's 2N is a "limit-bid (max 12 HCP)", then East's lead-directing double is merely speculative.
  • If 2N is "forcing", then double would be more dangerous and less attractive.

The East-West defence was sub-optimal but not a serious error/wild/gambling.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-October-16, 07:16

I don't see why it matters if 2nt is forcing or not.

If it is not forcing then S has about 11 and N has about 13-18.

If it is forcing for one round then S has about 11-15 and N has about 13-16.

If it is gf then S has about 13-16 and N has about 11-15.

Either way, their combined strength is enough for game, possibly significantly more but neither player made a slam try.

Presumably the expected combined NS strength is a bit more in one scenario than in others, but I wouldn't make any assumptions about that without knowing more about their style and system.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-October-16, 08:10

My view on this is the same as the TD and 2/3 of the AC.

I agree with the ruling. The merit or otherwise of the actual double is irrelevant. If East had been told that 2NT was forcing, he would not have doubled 3NT. And 3NT goes off on any other lead routinely. Law 21B1(b) states:

The Director is to presume Mistaken Explanation rather than
Mistaken Call in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

Therefore there was a routine and correct adjustment to 3NT-1. It worries me slightly that one member of the AC would consider overturning this. The TD decision was correct, and I would not have remotely considered appealing as NS.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-16, 08:24

are convention cards required in turkey? in many of the places i play they don't exist. i have played in turkey and i didn't have a convention card either and noone commented.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-16, 09:48

View Postwank, on 2016-October-16, 08:24, said:

are convention cards required in turkey? in many of the places i play they don't exist. i have played in turkey and i didn't have a convention card either and noone commented.

Not required but not having one means you are playing on your own risk in case ***** happens like this.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2016-October-16, 10:22

It is unclear to me if there was MI or not, director should ask more questions.

#9 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-16, 15:18

View PostFluffy, on 2016-October-16, 10:22, said:

It is unclear to me if there was MI or not, director should ask more questions.
If the explanatiom is different on both sides of the screen, there is MI.
Joost

#10 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-16, 15:47

My first thought was the same as helene_t's. But this East is one of the very best players in the world, none better than he. These have an, in my view, uncanny ability to work out the lay-out of the cards. A single jack can make all the difference. And Versace is so far out off my league that I'm unable to really decide whether his claim is right or false. Anyway, there was MI, so he probably has a point.
Joost

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-October-16, 15:55

View Postsanst, on 2016-October-16, 15:47, said:

My first thought was the same as helene_t's. But this East is one of the very best players in the world, none better than he. These have an, in my view, uncanny ability to work out the lay-out of the cards. A single jack can make all the difference. And Versace is so far out off my league that I'm unable to really decide whether his claim is right or false. Anyway, there was MI, so he probably has a point.

East's KJxx of hearts are of course better if at least one of the AQ is with north rather than south. So yes, I suppose he has some kind of point. Still, his claim that he wouldn't have doublet with correct explanation is a tad too selfserving for me. I may well be wrong. But I refuse to give him more credit simply because he is Versace. We are all equal for the law.

#12 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-October-17, 03:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-October-16, 15:55, said:

East's KJxx of hearts are of course better if at least one of the AQ is with north rather than south. So yes, I suppose he has some kind of point. Still, his claim that he wouldn't have doublet with correct explanation is a tad too selfserving for me. I may well be wrong. But I refuse to give him more credit simply because he is Versace. We are all equal for the law.

World-class players are like a finely tuned Ferrari - when they have correct input their responses are finely tuned, but equally any grit (MI) in the system and the effects can be disproportionate.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-17, 08:25

View Postsanst, on 2016-October-16, 15:18, said:

If the explanatiom is different on both sides of the screen, there is MI.

But it's relevant whether the MI was given to the player who took action based on it.

I think it's safe to assume that the TD established that Versace was given MI, since otherwise there would be no basis for the ruling or appeal at all.

#14 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-17, 12:23

But I refuse to give him more credit simply because he is Versace. We are all equal for the law.
True as that might be, the Laws of Duplicate Bridge state on a few places that you should take into account the class of player involved.
Joost

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-October-17, 14:59

Not in this case.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-17, 23:09

i called the director on him for opening 1NT and backing in with 3D with 3-5 in the reds after a 2H overcall on his left and a slow pass from his client partner. for all the sympathy i got from the director and the appeal person, i might as well have been impugning their belief in their god.

#17 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-October-18, 00:03

...But I refuse to give him more credit simply because he is Versace. We are all equal for the law.

View Postsanst, on 2016-October-17, 12:23, said:

True as that might be, the Laws of Duplicate Bridge state on a few places that you should take into account the class of player involved.

View Postwank, on 2016-October-17, 23:09, said:

i called the director on him for opening 1NT and backing in with 3D with 3-5 in the reds after a 2H overcall on his left and a slow pass from his client partner. for all the sympathy i got from the director and the appeal person, i might as well have been impugning their belief in their god.
IMO, the law should take into account the overall standard of the event rather than the reputations of individual players.

An international corroborates Wank's experience. He claims that he can reliably predict rulings from the names and nationalities of the players, directors, and committee-members -- The facts of the case are an unnecessary irrelevance. :)

#18 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-18, 01:22

View Postnige1, on 2016-October-18, 00:03, said:

An international corroborates Wank's experience. He claims that he can reliably predict rulings from the names and nationalities of the players, directors, and committee-members -- The facts of the case are unnecessary and irrelevant. :)

I think a statement like this requires more corroboration than "he claims that he can reliably predict..." In an international event the TD team is international and TDs do not rule without consulting each other.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-18, 16:26

View Postgordontd, on 2016-October-18, 01:22, said:

I think a statement like this requires more corroboration than "he claims that he can reliably predict..." In an international event the TD team is international and TDs do not rule without consulting each other.

This TD is also TD in major WBF events.

#20 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-October-18, 18:04

deleted

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users