Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Orlando

#1 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-15, 12:41

I made plans to go to the Orlando NABC next month, but I'm real short on partners. Most of the people I usually play with at Nationals are either not going or already have plans to play with others. If you're going and you have openings in your schedule, let me know.

#2 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-15, 22:59

Are you looking for partners or teammates? gqc6 and myself are likely going to go (the first half?), in which case we'll be looking for teammates. Neither of us is that good, but we've won a couple of open sectional sessions.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-16, 06:00

View Postbarmar, on 2016-October-15, 12:41, said:

I made plans to go to the Orlando NABC next month, but I'm real short on partners. Most of the people I usually play with at Nationals are either not going or already have plans to play with others. If you're going and you have openings in your schedule, let me know.

I may be coming, not sure. Which events are you interested in?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-16, 11:36

Original plan was only Reno. Then we won GNT's so went to DC. I will actually be in the Florida area during the time of the nationals but will be engaging in other activities, but Orlando is a definite no and I will miss you guys.

Kansas City for sure - mostly booked actually. Toronto doubtful, San Diego probably.

Timo - great to see you getting out!!
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-16, 23:01

i'm off to this. is the blue ribbon thing restricted entry?

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-17, 01:13

View Postwank, on 2016-October-16, 23:01, said:

Yes but you would play in it.
ACBL gives points to players from outside the USA. When I first came they let me play in BR due to my WBF points. But I doubt they actually went online and checked it.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-17, 01:15

View PostPhil, on 2016-October-16, 11:36, said:

Timo - great to see you getting out!!

Thanks but I am not sure yet as i said. Depends on my money situation as always Posted Image
It will be nice if I do, because I missed Nafiz and Tokay. Haven't seen them long time now. They will be there too,

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2016-October-17, 02:51

View Postwank, on 2016-October-16, 23:01, said:

The Life Master pairs is also restricted entry. The criteria are different - the LM Pairs is about masterpoints, whereas for the Blue Ribbon you are supposed to have come first or second in a regional. For both events they make exceptions for foreigners, either on the basis of reputation or on the basis of evidence provided.

It's best to write to the ACBL in advance, telling them who you are and asking if you can play in the LM Pairs and the Blue Ribbon. Tell them about your international representative experience, and some wins in major and/or recent events.

They'll probably give you some number of notional ACBL masterpoints, which will give you the right to play in the LM Pairs in perpetuity. For the Blue Ribbon they'll either give you a lifetime pass or a one-off pass.

If you find yourself playing in a bracketed knockout, talk to the director and try to negotiate your way into the top bracket. Otherwise you'll find yourself playing against Mopsy and Cottontail in Bracket 49.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-October-17, 07:43

View Postgnasher, on 2016-October-17, 02:51, said:

If you find yourself playing in a bracketed knockout, talk to the director and try to negotiate your way into the top bracket. Otherwise you'll find yourself playing against Mopsy and Cottontail in Bracket 49.

Actually, bracketed KOs are the easiest to deal with. When you buy the entry, you fill out a card where you write down the team's total masterpoints, and they use this when bracketing. They do check it against their records later, but I don't think they ever do anything unless a team ended up in a lower bracket than they should be in. Playing up isn't generally a problem unless there are so many that a top team somehow gets pushed into bracket 2.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-October-17, 07:51

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-16, 06:00, said:

I may be coming, not sure. Which events are you interested in?

I'm looking for partners, and I'm mostly interested in national events, or the 5K/10K variants. I can't play in Senior or Women's events.

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-17, 07:58

Unless things have changed....

1. The league does not grant exceptions for the Platinum Pairs.

2. They will for the LMs.

3. I'm not sure about the Blues. It used to be that winning a blue ribbon qualifier was kind of a big deal but not any more.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-October-17, 11:00

[NOTE: All quotes taken from the ACBL's CoC page. All emphasis mine.]

1. Note that for NABC+ events, you *must* be an ACBL member. For other events, you have to pay a US$4/session surcharge. If you're playing a significant fraction of a NABC, it's worth getting/renewing your membership even if you don't plan on playing National events :-).

Blue Ribbon Pairs
Special Conditions of Contest
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
The Blue Ribbon Pairs will be open to any two paid ACBL members, each of whom holds a Blue Ribbon qualification. See Appendix R for more complete information on how one obtains a qualification. ACBL members who do not hold such qualification may request an exemption, in writing. Only the DIC, or his designee, may grant this request.

Examples of BRQ:

2. First through 10th and all ties in all other nationally rated events that have an upper MP limit of more than 1500 MPs. First through 15th and all ties in a nationally rated six-session event with no upper MP limit.
3. ... [F]irst and second (including ties) in all gold point regionally rated events with no upper MP limit or with an upper MP limit of more than 2000 MPs. For Bracketed KOs, the foregoing applies to brackets with one team averaging at least 2000 MPs per player.
5. All ... winners and zonal champions in the Canadian National Team Championship Flight A.
9. All current or past world champions.
10. Canadian Open Pairs — regionally rated (COPC), Mexican Grand National Teams (MGNTC), Bermuda National Pairs (BNPC) and Bermuda National Teams (BNTC). First and second place finishers in the pair events and winners of the team events.

So, if you show that you can *win* a reasonable congress event, or can place in national level events, you're probably in. If you have played for your country, doubly so.

Nail Life Master Pairs/ Smith Women’s Life Master Pairs
Special Conditions of Contest
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
The Life Master Pairs will consist of pairs of Life Masters (LMs) who are paid ACBL Members. A player who has equivalent status in a bridge organization other than the ACBL and who is a member of the ACBL may request, in writing, an exemption from the requirement to be an ACBL LM. Only the DIC, or his designee, may grant this request.

4. The rest of the NABC and NABC+ events are not restricted to any ACBL member (that would otherwise qualify - see Women's BAM, 0-10000 IMP Pairs, Senior KO...)

• In flighted or bracketed events at any level, foreign players who have represented their country in international competition shall be permitted to play only in Flight A. They may, however, apply for relief for cause from this requirement.
  • Players with bridge experience from non-ACBL venues must check with the DIC to insure that they are placed in the proper category and/or seeded correctly.
  • A member’s eligibility for an ACBL event is determined by his masterpoint total (including eligibility points) as of the monthly cycle prior to the event.

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-October-18, 08:35

View Postmycroft, on 2016-October-17, 11:00, said:

1. Note that for NABC+ events, you *must* be an ACBL member. For other events, you have to pay a US$4/session surcharge. If you're playing a significant fraction of a NABC, it's worth getting/renewing your membership even if you don't plan on playing National events :-).

The first year of ACBL membership costs $29. So you'll break even after 4 days, at 2 sessions/day.

And to put it in perspective, it's only $4 more than most US airlines charge to check a bag.

#14 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-19, 15:17

sadly it'll be the full $39 for me - i played in the vanderbilt last time - but thanks for the replies.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-20, 10:14

View Postbarmar, on 2016-October-17, 07:51, said:

I'm looking for partners, and I'm mostly interested in national events, or the 5K/10K variants. I can't play in Senior or Women's events.

Ok Barry ty for the reply.
I will try to get back to you asap. Do not feel like you are obliged to wait though, if you find someone, take it.
If you do not hear from me in next 3 days I am probably not being able to come.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-October-20, 14:39

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-20, 10:14, said:

I will try to get back to you asap. Do not feel like you are obliged to wait though, if you find someone, take it.

That's not a problem I'm having. I'm getting very close to cancelling my trip due to lack of partners.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users