BBO Discussion Forums: Double or bid (or go gentle into that good night)? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double or bid (or go gentle into that good night)?

Poll: Double or bid (or go gentle into that good night)? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Double (29 votes [63.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.04%

3. 2H (16 votes [34.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

4. Other (1 votes [2.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-October-25, 19:09

If I double now and they do not bid one, we might land on our feet, missing a contract only when they are 5-3.
If I double now and they advance to 2, i am poorly placed to rebid. A new suit shows a much stronger hand. I would have to be content doubling again, fully expecting to land in a minor when might be right. Doubling a 3 advance when it rolls back around to me gives partner less good information about the true nature of my hand.
If I call 2 now, I can deal with either 2 or 3 by doubling. My "perfect" shape overcomes a certain lightness in strength for the second double.
If I pass now, I might be able to back in, but then haven't really got partner's attention nor confidence. Now I am too big for the bidding that ensues. Partner won't expect such a good hand. S/he might also consider a sequence like:
(1) - P - (3) - P
(P) - DBL
a torture sequence. If I couldn't double 1, what am I doing doubling 3 with shortness. Too narrow a window for this approach to work.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users