Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding Changing bid

#1 User is offline   junkanoo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-October-11, 10:33

I have heard that under one circumstance a player can withdraw his bid even though the next player has bid. Nobody at my club thinks that this is correct but can it be done?

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-11, 14:43

View Postjunkanoo, on 2016-October-11, 10:33, said:

I have heard that under one circumstance a player can withdraw his bid even though the next player has bid. Nobody at my club thinks that this is correct but can it be done?

Yes, see law 25A. ("Until his partner has called...")

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 15:30

if you consider the previous reply to be useless, as i expect you do, it pertains to bids made through a mechanical error, i.e. getting out the wrong bidding card. you can't change your bid just because you changed your mind or were distracted by your RHO's low cut top.

#4 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 16:15

View Postwank, on 2016-October-11, 15:30, said:

if you consider the previous reply to be useless, as i expect you do, it pertains to bids made through a mechanical error, i.e. getting out the wrong bidding card. you can't change your bid just because you changed your mind or were distracted by your RHO's low cut top.

Remember that Law 25A has remained essentially unchanged for more than 80 years, since long before anybody had the faintest idea of bidding cards.

The Director must judge whether the replaced (first) call was inadvertent (e.g. "slip of the tongue") or the replacement (second) call was the result of a change of mind.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 22:27

Yes, you can change your call if you really did not intend to make that call (not just "oops, was distracted" or some other oops) and you change it, or attempt to change it, before your partner has called. Whether LHO has called is not relevant.

If the director is called when you change your call, and he determines that the original call was not unintended — that it was the call you had in mind to make when you made it — then a different law applies. Your LHO may choose to accept the change. If he does not, the substitute call is cancelled, the original call stands, and your partner now has unauthorized information. The withdrawn call is AI for your opponents.

In the first case, if LHO has called before you change your unintended call, and your change is allowed, he may withdraw his original call and as it is now his turn (again) he may make any legal call. Information from LHO's withdrawn call is authorized only to his side, not to yours.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   junkanoo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-October-13, 03:56

Great, all is now clear.

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-13, 08:47

Not the same but similar....

Partner in 1st

2 - dbl - p - 2nt
p - p - 3 by me on AQT8, T, KJ9xxx, J

doubled by my lho and then my rho woke up and alerted 2nt as lebensohl. I was allowed to change my 3 bid to pass and 2nt is the final contract.

Partner cashed a heart and switched to a diamond through the Qx. A Correct ruling including the AI and UI of my bid and change of call that I had never experienced before.

Happy days? A spade switch sets 2nt (they were just in) and the 2nt bidder said he was going to bid 3nt after an alert and bid by his partner :blink:
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-October-14, 06:46

You may also 'change your call' if LHO advises you that RHO's call has a different meaning from what you were originally told.

e.g. 1: 3 (not alerted): 3 by you: LHO calls 4 and then suddenly wakes up and alerts the 3 bid and says it shows e.g. Clubs and Hearts.

Note that this is incorrect procedure. LHO must call the director immediately under 20F4 (who will then apply law 21B)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users